NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Factory Deck and Airbag Myth
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Factory Deck and Airbag Myth

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desi
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.22

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject:  Factory Deck and Airbag Myth Reply with quote

This comes up every once in a while, and I''d just like to set the record straight.The Airbag system IS NOT affected by removing the factory deck. This is a myth, quite possibly put out by the makers of some of the harnesses and/or some installers to sell the more expensive ones.

You have to re-locate ONLY it if you want to be able to use the customization settings, you can reset the tire monitor and oil change light via the gas pedal or light switch.

Can somebody who has verified the procedure to reset the lights post it in this thread, then I''ll lock this. All other posts will be deleted in order to keep the myth at bay (my uncles, brother-in-laws, freinds, room mate stories are what help keep this kind of myth around).

CITT
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What is your source that it makes you so sure it is a myth? If this post is deleted then please add the answer to the original post. TIA
Desi
Member Level
Member Level

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I''ll let it stand until the procedures are posted, it has been found that it sets off no lights (SVS, AIRBAG, SRS, etc). The airbag systems in our cars are designed to set off a light, for even the most miniscule problems. What theses installers are suggesting, is that the airbag module is located inside the radio, when infact it is underneith the drivers seat. Plus, simply removing ANY component of the airbag system sets off the light. This actually may be ignorance on the part of the installer, assuming all new chevy''s are the same, because IIRC, the ~2002 Corvette''s Airbag module is located inside the radio.

Otto
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.05

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I posted this in another thread before I saw this sticky post here. So I''ll repost it here with some minor modifcations.

Hi. I''m Otto. I''m a computer programmer. I have done extensive work for Ford, GM, Chrysler. I''ve been in and out of auto plants for several years, and I personally know more than a passing amount about how in car networks communicate with one another, as I used to program for the damned things. My credentials are not like designer credentials, but they''re enough, really. With that out of the way:

I can easily tell you, without any doubt whatsoever, that this myth is 100% wrong. The head unit has *nothing* to do with the airbags.

This is a simple misinterpretation of what the actual problem is. The problem is not one of safety, but of liability.

You see, when the airbags deploy, a signal gets sent over the Class 2 Serial Bus saying that the airbags have indeed deployed. The radio routes this message (along with every other message it gets) to the OnStar system, which will dial home and say you''ve been in a wreck. Whereupon they call ambulances and get your GPS coordinates and get the help to you quicker.

With the radio gone, the OnStar unit is, essentially, no longer connected to the rest of the system. So it has no way to recieve the airbag deployment signal, and won''t call home. In theory, this could make whoever disconnected the head unit legally liable because of injuries you might suffer that wouldn''t have occured had OnStar been able to send emergency personnel to you quicker.

Assuming you don''t care about OnStar, and don''t want to keep the head unit in there to change some of the settings that it allows you to change, then you don''t really need to worry about it.

The airbag will deploy just fine with or without the head unit. At least, if the airbag would fire with the head unit in there, it will fire after you remove the head unit. Nothing about the airbag operation changes in the slightest way by just removing the head unit.
steven

Posts per day: -0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yea, I have taken out my factory headunit in my 2002 Impala and replaced it wth a Pioneer deck that I have. I did not even get the special wiring harness to keep the chimes and what not working / nor did I move the factory deck to the trunk to keep them working either.

Everything still works just fine (airbag lights etc), only the chimes don''t come on when gas is low, etc. It works fine and sounds great. Very Happy Got any questions.. feel free to ask, and I''ll try my best to answer.
Galaxy Silver
Member Level
Member Level

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Quote:
only the chimes don''t come on when gas is low, etc

Losing the stupid annoying door chimes was the BEST part about installing my deck. IIRC the procedure for that stuff is in the owners manual. Ill look later and if it is Ill type it up.

-Galaxy-

TheKon
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Nissan Altima

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

After talking to one of the Roadshop installers at work...our installation manager told me it was a myth and personally installed my head unit. Everything works great...the only difference is my head unit doesn't stay on until I open the door...I can live with that...hell I saved $75 and got rid of that damn door chime. All you gotta do is just run an auxilary wire from the ignition. Oh and I can verify Otto's post..I've read up on this before and thats exactly what the article said...I just wish I still had that article.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.64

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is an adapter that keeps the RAP. My radio stays on till I open the door. I got it through Crutchfield when I ordered my HU

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 4.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
There is an adapter that keeps the RAP. My radio stays on till I open the door. I got it through Crutchfield when I ordered my HU

Me too. Worth it to maintain that functionality, in my opinion. If you don't like the chime after that, cut the speaker wire in the adapter box. Very Happy

Still Imp'n, just with a different Imp.
car99

Posts per day: 0

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:  Re: Factory Deck and Airbag Myth Reply with quote

Desi wrote:

Can somebody who has verified the procedure to reset the lights post it in this thread, then I''ll lock this. All other posts will be deleted in order to keep the myth at bay (my uncles, brother-in-laws, freinds, room mate stories are what help keep this kind of myth around).

I notice that it has been awhile since this topic has been updated so let's bump it up. I too need the above information because I replaced the factory head unit with a Pioneer deck, and my "Change Oil Light" is now coming on even though the car isn't in need of an oil change yet.

How can I reset this as it was mentioned above?

DiscoStudd
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject:  Re: Factory Deck and Airbag Myth Reply with quote

car99 wrote:
I notice that it has been awhile since this topic has been updated so let's bump it up. I too need the above information because I replaced the factory head unit with a Pioneer deck, and my "Change Oil Light" is now coming on even though the car isn't in need of an oil change yet.

How can I reset this as it was mentioned above?
Switch your ignition on (do not start the car) and within 5 seconds, depress the throttle to the floor and back 3 times...

Kevin B.
2004 Chevy Impala | 3400 SFI | 4T65-E
1999 Chevy Tahoe LT | 5.7 VORTEC | 4L60-E | 4X4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Audio / Video Club All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: