NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2005 Impala - intermittent no start, no crank
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2005 Impala - intermittent no start, no crank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dadon

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject:  2005 Impala - intermittent no start, no crank Reply with quote

My daughter has a 2005 Impala R92 police package - ex-inspectors car. All police items have been removed.
It intermittently won't crank in park position. 2 times in the last 4 mos. She is not using the brake push, and has not noticed the "security" indicator coming on when the problem occurred.
The key lock cylinder is very loose and sloppy - and usually won't turn without jiggling it. She has gotten notices for the ignition recall. Does this replace the lock cylinder?
Does the R92 package have the PASSKEY system?
I have read elsewhere about terminal corrosion on the ignition switch and on the BCD module. Has anyone here encountered it?
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The ignition switch recall just adds some plastic inserts to the hole on the key to eliminate the slot and make it into a small circle in the middle of the key to reduce leverage that could potentially turn the key off.

I would start with getting keys cut to the VIN number from the dealership or a locksmith - NOT copying the existing keys to see if the problem goes away, then cleaning the ignition cylinder with electrical contact cleaner with the battery disconnected. When it's properly cleaned, relube it with graphite.

If something is drastically loose then it should probably be replaced The ignition lock cylinder goes into the switch so you'd have to take them apart to see what is actually loose.

I don't know what the R92 package is; my understanding is that all Impalas have the anti-theft system built into the ignition cylinder & BCM.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:

I don't know what the R92 package is; my understanding is that all Impalas have the anti-theft system built into the ignition cylinder & BCM.
My 05 9C2 [inspector's car] has no anti-theft system, & uses $1.24 keys from Home Depot. GARY

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Frank wrote:

My 05 9C2 [inspector's car] has no anti-theft system, & uses $1.24 keys from Home Depot. GARY

http://cdn.dealereprocess.net/.....impala.pdf
Read the right side of page 81.

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Frank wrote:

Yeah but you can get a clean cut (Perfect)key from the dealer for 12$
rather then a key with defects in it

it seem to be more snug in the key hole as well (less movement )
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
9C3 wrote:
Frank wrote:

Yeah but you can get a clean cut (Perfect)key from the dealer for 12$
rather then a key with defects in it

it seem to be more snug in the key hole as well (less movement )
I went by the local Chevy dealer for my 2 free recall keys. There is absolutely no difference in using the Home Depot $1.24 keys, vs the dealer cut by VIN keys. I actually prefer the Home Depot key, as the plastic head is much smaller than the dealer key. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: