NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Transmission problem that i havent seen before.EVER....
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Transmission problem that i havent seen before.EVER....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcal_impala

Posts per day: 0.03

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Oooh ! Transmission problem that i havent seen before.EVER.... Reply with quote

Ok,so i bought a 05 impala with a 3.4 v6 about 3 months ago for $300,it had a blown engine but great interior and exterior.replaced engine with a low milage engine,and when i drove the car for the 1st time,i noticed that the car was stuck in 1st,FML.i let the vehicle idle for 3 min.. so the next day,i started my car let it warm up for 30 min and drove it.the trans took a little longer than your avrage shift time from 1st to 2nd but i got the trans to shift,oh yeah...after that senario,the trans shifted nice and smooth,but what ive started to notice is that the trans wont shift out of 1st gear if the vehicle is cold,it has to be in normal operating temperature or at least an extended idle for like 30 min to get her to shift.its killing me on gas cause ive been doi g my math and this problem with the trans is giving my mpg 11 avarage.

Ive changed the trans fluid and filter.
Theres no external leaks
And i bearly got a code,p1811.
FyI,i own a 04 impala ls and it has the same code but my trans does not act up like this 05 impala i bought.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
pdb
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Could be sticky shift solenoids. They're not difficult to replace, but getting to them involves dropping the engine cradle.

Might as well put a shift kit in there while you're at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
norcal_impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My thing is,wouldnt a shift solenoid leave a powertrain code?
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

shot in the dark ....but .... possiblytrans temp sensor....im a tech at a hyundai dealership and we have a trans that wont shift correctly sometimes due to fluid temp sensor. Try to look at a scantool and see if your fluid temp goes up...my $.002

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
norcal_impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That would be awesome but i think on my car the data pid for trans fluid temp is not offered,at least in the scanner ive used.(snap on varius pro) & (GM tech ll)..
Thanks for the ideas though.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lets say that you manually shift from 1st to 2nd, and then put it in drive. Will it shift normally then? Sounds to me like there is some debris in the valve body.
norcal_impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No,it wont shift manually but what ive noticed is that if i dont warm it up like ive been doing,and i take off driving in 2nd gear,it wont shift from 1st to 2nd either but with in 15 seconds,it will eventually shift to nd gear and then ill just manually shift to the D mark in the cluster.that tells me theres something mechanical wrong.
Also i forgot to say that i hear a whine like a powersteering pump noise coming from the trans so im thinking that may be a pump thats about to fail or something.this noise may be tied to my issue.idk.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hmmm, wonder if the harness inside the trans died.
norcal_impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

good point.ill look into it.
on that note,ive own this car for about 3 months and at the time i had a 04 3800 impala but unfortunately it got totalled Sad so now im left with this base 3400 and i dont know if its the trans issue that im having now but man,this car feels slow/sluggish compared to the 3800.
Draculasyoyo

Posts per day: 0.04

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Did you ever get this sorted out?
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.49

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

norcal_impala wrote:
good point.ill look into it.
on that note,ive own this car for about 3 months and at the time i had a 04 3800 impala but unfortunately it got totalled Sad so now im left with this base 3400 and i dont know if its the trans issue that im having now but man,this car feels slow/sluggish compared to the 3800.

no, they are just that much slower

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

norcal_impala wrote:
No,it wont shift manually but what ive noticed is that if i dont warm it up like ive been doing,and i take off driving in 2nd gear,it wont shift from 1st to 2nd either but with in 15 seconds,it will eventually shift to nd gear and then ill just manually shift to the D mark in the cluster.that tells me theres something mechanical wrong.
Also i forgot to say that i hear a whine like a powersteering pump noise coming from the trans so im thinking that may be a pump thats about to fail or something.this noise may be tied to my issue.idk.

the power steering reservoir is leaking which is common because it was made out of plastic

I have to do the same thing

transmission is bad I have to start in 2nd then 3rd then 4th
(or i can just accelerate very slowly and it will shift threw the 4 gears ) 0 to 60 in 1/2 mile

but if i need Fast acceleration that is my only way

i'm just trying the squeeze every last time out of it before i part it out

I all ready put 2,000 miles since it started happening though..

check the transmission level LOOK Shocked for air bubbles (if there is any it's low on fluid) by a lot at lest 1 qt or more (put little at a time tell air bubbles are gone)

update

go figure the Transmission started working correctly for me and is no longer slipping. I don't know but it's working for me now.. how odd

it's very easy to do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3_QNGKOJtY

I suggest changing the filter and seal(required after taking it apart)

adding 1 qt Lucas transmission oil. stop slip.. as well
norcal_impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok guys, sorry i haven't updated for a while but as far as my shifting issue, i have managed a"hack" for now that works for me.
Were i live, it gets hot, and i am thinking its helping me get by the shifting issue. i stated before that i needed to warm up my car to get it shifting ok (up to 30 min of idle). but back then it was cold, like 60F compared to 98-105F average right now. i started thinking how a manual trans works when shifting,you have to us the clutch to engage gear selection. well, why cant i do the same manually with my automatic. impossible? not really. so i did research on the wiring diagram and found out that when my transmission acts up, its due to the tcc solenoid. tcc solenoid will engage/disengage the hydraulic circuit inside the trans to allow torque converter to do its job.if the tcc doesn't work, its like me not pushing down on the clutch pedal on a manual trans to shift...so, i tested my theory, wile driving,(operating temp on engine or hot outside) i wont let go of the gas pedal and at the same time, tap the brake pedal and it will shock the circuit for the tcc solenoid to activate clutches on torque converter hydraulic circuit. when i did this, the trans shifted..boom.fixed the issue but not only did i fix the issue but found the root cause, a faulty tcc solenoid(no codes yet on ecu) but i have a growling trans which means 2 things, worn out torque converter or worn out pump on transmission. previous owner put Lucas trans slip and i am beginning to think, that was one of the main root causes of the premature failure of the trans.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Oooh ! Re: Transmission problem that i havent seen before.EVER.... Reply with quote

norcal_impala wrote:
Ok,so i bought a 05 impala with a 3.4 v6 about 3 months ago for $300,it had a blown engine but great interior and exterior.replaced engine with a low milage engine,and when i drove the car for the 1st time,i noticed that the car was stuck in 1st,FML.i let the vehicle idle for 3 min.. so the next day,i started my car let it warm up for 30 min and drove it.the trans took a little longer than your avrage shift time from 1st to 2nd but i got the trans to shift,oh yeah...after that senario,the trans shifted nice and smooth,but what ive started to notice is that the trans wont shift out of 1st gear if the vehicle is cold,it has to be in normal operating temperature or at least an extended idle for like 30 min to get her to shift.its killing me on gas cause ive been doi g my math and this problem with the trans is giving my mpg 11 avarage.

Ive changed the trans fluid and filter.
Theres no external leaks
And i bearly got a code,p1811.
FyI,i own a 04 impala ls and it has the same code but my trans does not act up like this 05 impala i bought.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
did you change it with DEXRON VI Full Synthetic? and a qt of lucas transmission fluid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: