NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2000 impala restricted airflow on heat setting
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2000 impala restricted airflow on heat setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolraptor

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject:  2000 impala restricted airflow on heat setting Reply with quote

2000 impala loses almost all airflow from the vents when changed to the heat setting.

Have replaced the cabin air filter, heater core (old one wasn't bad), blower motor (again old one didn't seem bad) , cleaned the evaporator core, tested all actuators, the blend door etc.
This car is the base model without dual climate controls.

I took it to a shop and it's been there for almost 2 months now. They keep calling saying it's fixed but it's not any better. I would pick it up and go elsewhere, but they have gotten me for $1800+, claiming it's fixed 3 different times now, so Iam not picking it up.untill it's right.

It lost airflow a few years ago but was barely enough to keep warm with the fan on high so I haven't torn into it untill now.
It was ran briefly without a cabin air.filter when I was trying to find and fix a leak related to that drain tray thing up near the windshield cowl that was missing.

You can hear the fan speed up like it's restricted when changed to heat, but the airflow dies to next to nothing now compared to when on cool setting.

Any idea what it could be ?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

2000 Maroon Impala 3.4 3500 top swap, 42ln injectors, egr delete, Milzy catless downpipe, 2.5inch exhaust,LS1 Lifter spring upgrade, Overkill tune (setup for rear mount turbo not yet finished), HD trans upgrade, shift kit, ls1 camaro front brakes, gr2 struts, stainless braided brake lines, strut tower braces, Don Rome brackets.
1995 Camaro~388 Stroker, turbo, 6speed, Drag car.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The only thing that comes to mind and this is a long shot. If you watch the temperature actuators move to heat (you can watch the passenger side one move by looking thru the glove box area, I think it has to be removed), and it doesn't matter what you pick, floor, bi-lev or the top vents...then I'd lean towards a restriction in the air path. Now, if they don't move in the car when the temp is switched, then I think its that whole board with the up/down switches for the temp control, fan speed, and mode.
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I agree it sounds like a restriction as well.
The doors all supposedly switch as normal. It has heat, just no airflow. If I start turning the dial to cool I will get more airflow the cooler I make it. There is only so many things it could be, but it's been months and almost 2000$ so I'd think they'd be able to figure it out by now.
Thanks for the reply!

2000 Maroon Impala 3.4 3500 top swap, 42ln injectors, egr delete, Milzy catless downpipe, 2.5inch exhaust,LS1 Lifter spring upgrade, Overkill tune (setup for rear mount turbo not yet finished), HD trans upgrade, shift kit, ls1 camaro front brakes, gr2 struts, stainless braided brake lines, strut tower braces, Don Rome brackets.
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

In all reality, you could have had the dealer swap the whole hvac system for less than you have paid now. If they don't get it figured out for you, let me know and i'll take a crack at it, that is if you want to drive it up to Michigan.
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yeah no doubt.
Apparently the book calls for something like 6.5hrs?? for the dash R&R plus the parts which are pretty heavily marked up (was 60% at the shop I used to work at like 9 years ago).

First they billed labor and parts for a blower motor, motor resister, fair enough.

Then after coming to get it and seeing it wasn't fixed, labor plus parts for heater core cleaning, R&R dash to get it out (core was fine) and evap core replacement, ok.

Then still not fixed when i went to pickup so they billed for a new heater core parts only and replaced it, still not fixed when I went to get it yet again.

This most recent time they wanted me to pay to pull the dash AGAIN and look formissues. I refused and said it was billed as fixed many times and Iam already pushing 2000 in it and that no sane shop would charge for the same labor when they haven't actually fixed anything.
So they replaced the blower motor yet again, said it was fixed, no charge, and it's still not fixed when I went to pick it up.
They say they will call identifix for the 8th time and get back to me.
I figure I've now pissed them off and won't see the car this winter. It's been there 2 months now, and I know how this works at most shops lol.

This is why I do not take any vehicle to a shop unless it's something horrible I don't want to do like this, or something where a lift would be almost required.

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
In all reality, you could have had the dealer swap the whole hvac system for less than you have paid now. If they don't get it figured out for you, let me know and i'll take a crack at it, that is if you want to drive it up to Michigan.
he could have bought another one for that much

impala that is

could be a vacuum leak or just a bad a/c controller as well 2004/05 was electric control that is why it had more "settings then 00-03(some early 04)"
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I understand how a vacuum leak could keep it from switching which vents it comes from, and from hot to cold if they are actuated by vacuum but, i don't see what could cause airflow to be nearly stopped all together ??

Yeah I could buy another vehicle pretty easily and have something newer probably more reliable etc but this is my work car, and I know exactly what's been put into it since 40k miles (has 220k+ now) so I don't mind feeding it some cash off and on.
It's actually been fairly reliable for the mileage and use it gets (several hours drive time to and from work each day, mostly 2 lane back roads etc)

When you guys go from cold to heat do you notice any type of significant drop in airflow ?

98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

No not at all, so that tells me the blend door isn't moving for some reason or there is a blockage.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

coolraptor wrote:
I understand how a vacuum leak could keep it from switching which vents it comes from, and from hot to cold if they are actuated by vacuum but, i don't see what could cause airflow to be nearly stopped all together ??

Yeah I could buy another vehicle pretty easily and have something newer probably more reliable etc but this is my work car, and I know exactly what's been put into it since 40k miles (has 220k+ now) so I don't mind feeding it some cash off and on.
It's actually been fairly reliable for the mileage and use it gets (several hours drive time to and from work each day, mostly 2 lane back roads etc)

When you guys go from cold to heat do you notice any type of significant drop in airflow ?
no drop in air flow when switching
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well the had another impala there and it blows even less air than mine when switched to heat, so they are done with it and saying it's normal.

If the blend door was stuck than I wouldn't have tempature change at all is my understanding.
Thought about buying one of those cheap borsecope cameras for my phone and shoving it back thru all the vents to see if I can find something. The shop said they may consider buying one but of course don't have one currently.
That's about all I know to do since apparently removing the entire dash my 3-4 times still hasn't revealed the problem.

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

coolraptor wrote:
Well the had another impala there and it blows even less air than mine when switched to heat, so they are done with it and saying it's normal.

If the blend door was stuck than I wouldn't have tempature change at all is my understanding.
Thought about buying one of those cheap borsecope cameras for my phone and shoving it back thru all the vents to see if I can find something. The shop said they may consider buying one but of course don't have one currently.
That's about all I know to do since apparently removing the entire dash my 3-4 times still hasn't revealed the problem.
check the air filter. bet it broke apart inside the heater section
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cabin air filter is new.
It actually was ran without one for a few months long time ago, which is why I at first assumed debris had plugged the heater core.
They found only minimal pine needles inside there, heater core was fine, evap was fine, replaced heater core anyway, and found nothing else. Crying or Very sad
Ive been working non-stop so i havent even been able to get the car this week.
Iam going to try to snake one of those tiny cameras thru the vents and see if i can see anything when I do. Otherwise, iam gonna have to deal with it i suppose. Almost $2k down the drain Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: