NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Both High Beams and Low beams on together???
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Both High Beams and Low beams on together???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject:  Both High Beams and Low beams on together??? Reply with quote

I had to change the passenger headlight harness because it was corroded. I clipped the harness with the car off. this is my fault, but there was a spark. now with the new one wired up...both high and low beams are now on. Also the passenger headlight is really dim.

Any ideas on where to look?
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject:  Re: Both High Beams and Low beams on together??? Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
I had to change the passenger headlight harness because it was corroded. I clipped the harness with the car off. this is my fault, but there was a spark. now with the new one wired up...both high and low beams are now on. Also the passenger headlight is really dim.

Any ideas on where to look?
maybe the bulb is damaged?
they tend to glow dim when they have some odd short inside of them

another thing is the relay is busted kinda like you can hold a light switch 1/2 on and you will have a lower brightness if you have it on the right spot

Should have disconnected the battery when doing electrical work on the car...
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I know for certain that the headlight is good. I took that from my other impala. The worst that should have happened is the fuse should have blown. The duel headlight situation goes away if I unplug the passenger light.

Thinking about it, the wires must be melted together somewhere down the line because driver side is fine when I unplug the passenger side.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
I know for certain that the headlight is good. I took that from my other impala. The worst that should have happened is the fuse should have blown. The duel headlight situation goes away if I unplug the passenger light.

Thinking about it, the wires must be melted together somewhere down the line because driver side is fine when I unplug the passenger side.

if it's dimming the voltage is dropping alot which will cause a run away effect and or fire sooner or later
yeah make sure the fuses are the correct size for the headlights

fuse should have blown before the wires melted

honestly check all the fuses and make sure the size is correct as it sounds like some one put a bigger size fuse which caused damage
so it may have happen to others circuits as well i would try another relay as well maybe it got damaged

i would trace it the wire and look for damage
98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Found a bad fuse and I went thru the whole loom. Everything is all OK now.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
Found a bad fuse and I went thru the whole loom. Everything is all OK now.
cool glad you found the problem EZ fix Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: