NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - LIM gaskets again, or just old gunk?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

LIM gaskets again, or just old gunk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdb
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject:  LIM gaskets again, or just old gunk? Reply with quote

I had the LIM gaskets and intake replaced on my 2004 3800 6 years and 85000 miles ago. Last night the temp gauge got above half while sitting in traffic, so I checked the coolant this morning after it had cooled off, and the filler neck of the radiator was caked with dry reddish brown crud. I scooped out the crud with a screwdriver and added about a half gallon of water to top it up. Temperatures were all below half on the drive in this morning. Oil looks normal and doesn't look to have any coolant in it.

Is this residual crap from the LIM failure coming to the surface, or has it let go again? How can I tell? The coolant in this car has always been cruddy after the LIM fix, even after a couple flushes.

I'm thinking if it's not the LIM again, I'll replace the radiator, all the hoses I can and give it a hell of a flushing before putting it back on the road.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a lower hose leak at the radiator that caused the symptoms you described. I ended up replacing the radiator because I didn't think I could get all the gunk flushed out of it and I replaced all the hoses and clamps at the same time.

Use Breeze stainless clamps...made in the USA and are much more durable than the Chinese ones you get at the auto parts store.

If you can't eyeball the leak, the best way to find it is using a pressure tester. Some auto parts stores will loan them out.

pdb
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks.

I've got a pressure tester arriving tonight from Amazon so I can see what's up.

The coolant levels have been holding steady, but the coolant in the expansion tank doesn't seem to be flowing back to the radiator when it cools unless I take the cap off. I'm planning on replacing the tank, hoses and radiator and giving it a good flushing, if I don't have to do the intake again.

Think I should do a flush before I replace the cruddy radiator and hoses, or do it after and hope there isn't too much crud in the heater core/engine block to contaminate the new parts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It sounds like the radiator cap may be bad. Also, if you have already replaced the LIM, I would check the coolant elbows to see if the O-rings are leaking. You should be able to do that by just filling it up and looking for leaks when its running.
pdb
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, pressurized the system to about 15psi and spotted a leak from the driver's side of the radiator. Guess it's new radiator time! I also replaced the cap since I'd ordered one anyway.

Thanks!
pdb
Cadet
Cadet

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Over the weekend, replaced the radiator, catch tank, thermostat, water pump, elbows and hoses, filled it up with coolant and things have been peachy since. Coolant still looks nice and clear, hopefully the flush took most of the crud out.

222420 miles so far, let's see if I can get it to 300.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: