NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Master cylinder replacement
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Master cylinder replacement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject:  Master cylinder replacement Reply with quote

I need to replace my master cylinder 4 wheel abs, I've watched some video's on youtube and they bench bled the master cylinder before installation. Once it was installed, they had someone push the brake peddle and they cracked each line connected to the master cylinder to bleed the air. The car was then put back in service and the brakes worked fine. I've read elsewhere that when the master cylinder is changed, you need to have the dealer bleed the brakes. Can I do it like the youtube video and use my power bleeder to bleed the brakes at the caliper?

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The older abs systems needed to be active while bleeding the brakes - dealer function. The new systems in our impalas are pass thru and can be done at home. Yes you need to bench bleed the master and then install it. Then bleed all 4 wheels. Its not a bad idea to get all the old fluid out anyway.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There is an option in the EBCM to actuate the brake pressure modulator valve (BPMV) one caliper/corner at a time while doing a positive pressure bleed from the master cylinder but you have to have a Tech 2 to do it. As long as you don't disconnect the individual brake lines from the BPMV or introduce air into the BPMV I don't see the need to do it.

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have the master cylinder and will be replacing it this year. I hope I'll be able to drive it to the dealer to bled if needed.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.26

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A little off topic but something the same.. I had to replace all the steel brake lines from the EBCM back. I left all the bleeder valves open and gravity feed the fluid to each wheel, then started closing the bleeder valves when the fluid started to run out. Never had any problems.

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for that information, appreciate it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: