NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Exhaust Leak
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Exhaust Leak

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject:  Exhaust Leak Reply with quote

Shop doesn't have a smoke machine and can't find my exhaust leak. I know it's leaking near the firewall and thought it was the flex. They said the flex is good and it may be a cracked exhaust manifold. Should I buy a fog machine or use Seafoam to find the leak.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My 3800 had a 4 inch crack on the rear manifold that I couldn't see. Took me 2 hours to replace. Not the worst job ever. Plus going to the junk yard or ebay and picking a second hand one is cheap. I found a special on a dorman one for 50 bucks at the time.
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
My 3800 had a 4 inch crack on the rear manifold that I couldn't see. Took me 2 hours to replace. Not the worst job ever. Plus going to the junk yard or ebay and picking a second hand one is cheap. I found a special on a dorman one for 50 bucks at the time.

I used Seafoam and found the front down pipe gasket leaking. I'm going to replace it and see how the car runs. The leak sounded small, so I hope this may be it and I hope it's the only leak.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

hmm...You might just be able take the bolts out, clean all the threads up and retighten. The x-over pipe gaskets usually don't go bad.
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Here you can see where the gasket was leaking, this is the gasket I got from ZZP when I purchased the downpipe. I had some factory gaskets laying around, so I use them.

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Looks like a Felpro. Be careful to get all of the old one off since they can leave remnants on both flanges. GM gaskets look completely different and shouldn't fall apart like that.

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Looks like a Felpro. Be careful to get all of the old one off since they can leave remnants on both flanges. GM gaskets look completely different and shouldn't fall apart like that.

Yea, I carefully cleaned the flanges with a wire brush. The 2 studs holding the downpipe to the resonator snapped, I pressed them out and installed grade 8 bolts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: