NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Transmission Problem
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Transmission Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chamber

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject:  Transmission Problem Reply with quote

The following has happened 3 times in the last month: shortly after I start driving (not immediately, but usually after driving approx. 5 miles) the transmission started jerking REALLY bad, on both up-shift and down-shift. I pulled over, stopped, turned the car off, waited a minute or 2, then started it up again. It then worked fine for a week or two (driving every day) until it happened again.

Since it seemed to be fixed (at least temporarily) but turning the engine off, then re-starting, I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the PCM, which was "reset" by turning off then back on. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not saying this is what it is, but if you are experiencing hard shifting it could be the P1801 code. Basically, the computer tells the trans to go to max line pressure to prevent damage.

The 1st item to check is the trans fluid level, and if the fluid looks dark (not reddish). If its been in there longer than say 80k then I would change fluid (7.4 quarts) + filter (you can reuse the factory gasket) out with some DEX III, and not DEX 6. DEX 6 even though it is backwards compatible it cleans so well that some of the crap it cleans up can jam things up for a bit.

Now, this is where people have different opinions/different luck with fixes. There are 3 main culprits here.

-The first being sticky accumulator pistons, primarly the 1-2, 3-4 shift valves. The fix is dropping the pan and adding shift kit springs, others have found that the bores have a bunch of varnish causing the pistons to stick. If you can change your transmission filter, then you can tackle this job. About 2-3 hours if you take your time, just make sure you have a large drain pan/cookie sheet. So were talking a filter plus fluid. 10 bucks from rock auto and fluid+brake cleaner from pretty much anywhere, so 50-60 bucks total. Not, too bad.

-the second, the PCS solenoid craps out. A little more involved. You have to drop the driverside subframe. I personally like to remove the strut/control arm here. Remove all the side cover bolts and remove. Along with that the trans oil pump a few other odds and ends. Its a decent idea here to replace the TCS while in here. I have yet to see one of these crap out on an impala, but was more common on the previous gen trans. I have heard of it happening mostly on cars that have never changed the fluid out. Also, not 100% necessary here but you can opt to change out the axle shaft seal. Parts here, is really just he solenoid/s. The side cover is reusable as long as you are gentle and it doesn't tear. You do have to have torque wrenches here and total time for me to do is like 4-5 hours, but I work on cars all the time. For someone who takes there time...6-7 hours.

-the 3rd. the trans is just plain worn out. If you have been standing on the go pedal, then this could be your case. however, the 00-02 do not have a hardened output shaft and that could be wearing out causing a pressure loss. Usually, this will wear out before the transmission does.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good write up 98ss Clap

Chamber

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss - Thank you very much for taking the time to write all that.

I probably should have included more info in my original post - I did a pan drop, fluid/filter change a few months ago (before the problem in question started happening). I checked/cleaned the bores for the accumulator pistons, having read of that problem (they were actually very clean, as was the tranny fluid). I did use Dex 6 though, when re-filling it.

Of your suggestions, it would seem more likely to be the PCS, although I would think a bad PCS would be more of a constant problem, my issue has only occurred 3 times over about a month to a month and 1/2.

Thanks again for your response.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Honestly, I think that debris is just moving thru the system. If it continues and is more bothersome, I would disconnect the return line at the trans and drain some fluid out and put some Dex 3 back in. Usually, when the PCS goes it gives symptoms every time.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject:  Re: Transmission Problem Reply with quote

Chamber wrote:
The following has happened 3 times in the last month: shortly after I start driving (not immediately, but usually after driving approx. 5 miles) the transmission started jerking REALLY bad, on both up-shift and down-shift. I pulled over, stopped, turned the car off, waited a minute or 2, then started it up again. It then worked fine for a week or two (driving every day) until it happened again.

Since it seemed to be fixed (at least temporarily) but turning the engine off, then re-starting, I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the PCM, which was "reset" by turning off then back on. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help.

mine does this
I consider it normal as it's been doing it since 129k now at 168k miles

shifts hard into 2nd gear normally when the car has been driving a while on the highway I suspect it's a bad motor and/or transmission mount(s)... this can cause it as well.

sometimes you can hear it clunk(metal to metal "clunk sound") when shifting from park to reverse or drive. on a cold start
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Mine was doing the same thing until I rebuilt it last week. for the second time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: