NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Possible Vacuum Leak - Shuts off ALL vents for Heater/AC
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Possible Vacuum Leak - Shuts off ALL vents for Heater/AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghostwolf
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.01

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject:  Possible Vacuum Leak - Shuts off ALL vents for Heater/AC Reply with quote

Symptoms - after car has been running for a while no air comes out of the vents, ANY of them. But you can hear the blower motor and the rush of air even louder than ever because it has nowhere to go.

Before all the dampers close down the heat or ac are normal. The temp levels regulate the temperature just fine and the blower motor fan works correctly on each speed. But once the dampers all close down, it doesn't matter what selection you turn the selector to (Defrost, Heater, Front Vents, Hi/Lo,) there is no change in the dampers or any sound you normally hear when changing where the air is coming from.

So I THINK its vacuum that controls this on a 2001? And I don't know where to look for the problem. About 5 years ago some of the lighting went out on my dash panel and I replaced that and it's worked fine ever since.

Been reading about vacuum lines in the engine compartment but that's where I'm lost, I would love to see a picture of where I need to be looking for disconnected or broken lines.

Would appreciate any picture or advice - Thanks!
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

What about the heater door actuator? That is driven by vacuum. Could take the one from your car out and check to make sure it holds a vacuum.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The HVAC vacuum line on the 2001 hooks in somewhere near the throttle body (can't tell you exactly where since I don't have the original engine after I did a L67 swap), is fastened to the firewall basically top center of the firewall and runs horizontally across the top of the firewall to the passenger side just below the windshield cowling. It's a very thin (and fragile, I just broke mine when disconnect it last week), roughly 1/8" thick black plastic tube.

Ghostwolf
Cadet
Cadet

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
What about the heater door actuator? That is driven by vacuum. Could take the one from your car out and check to make sure it holds a vacuum.

I'm not sure how to do that. But I'll mention it to a friend of mine.. It's very strange how it starts out blowing air just fine no matter what selection you have it at and then all of a sudden every outlet just shuts and no air can get into the cabin, I mean it just seals it off tight.

But then I can stop somewhere for even just 5 minutes and I regain all options and get all the air I want coming from the vents.
Ghostwolf
Cadet
Cadet

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
The HVAC vacuum line on the 2001 hooks in somewhere near the throttle body (can't tell you exactly where since I don't have the original engine after I did a L67 swap), is fastened to the firewall basically top center of the firewall and runs horizontally across the top of the firewall to the passenger side just below the windshield cowling. It's a very thin (and fragile, I just broke mine when disconnect it last week), roughly 1/8" thick black plastic tube.

I'm going to try to look for it. I hope I can figure this out, I'm at the point where with it being 15 years old and 334k miles on it that I hate to spend tons of money to get things to work right. But once I do, I go back to feeling good about keeping her going because for the most part the car is just fine. This is just one of those annoying things that just kinda builds and makes you get a new car / trouble free car itch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: