NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Did the front hubs today.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Did the front hubs today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:  Did the front hubs today. Reply with quote

So the $20 oil change joint has been telling me for months that I need new hub bearings @ $279 per side. Parts & labor. So I always get a 2nd opinion, & asked my friend who is the shop foreman at the local Chevy dealer. He would say if there's no vibration, or growling, they are fine. So I took the car to him, & we drove around the parking lot, & found nothing wrong. So we went out on the streets, going up to 60 MPH, & again felt nothing wrong. He would grab the steering wheel, but shook his head asking what he wanted me to do. I replied just put the car on the rack, & check it out. He did, & came back laughing, & shaking his head. In 30 years of working there, he has never seen a wheel bearing so worn that rode just fine. The right side was shot, & the left one not far behind. Luckily the parts dept had 2 in stock, $115 per side. The right one, the really worn one was swapped in 20 minutes, but the left one wouldn't budge, even after spraying with heat riser lubricant. We didn't have time to remove it with a press, but I'll come back in a few weeks & hope the chemical works it's magic. Considering there's a new bearing in there, & how dead the old one was, [165,000 miles] I felt absolutely no difference driving home at 80 MPH. Love a Chevy. GARY

bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Must be nice to live where theres no salt on the road Laughing I have less miles than that on mine and I'm on my second set of bearings. Good price was that the oem ones?

9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

17 years of Montreal winters was enough. I'll put up with Florida summers to not have to shovel snow in the winter. Yes, real GM hubs from the dealer. GARY

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

115 for real GM bearings. That's a great price.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I used to work for the dealer that gave me that price. They sell $1.8 million in parts a month. 12 delivery trucks going to body shops, repair centers, & export companies, I get parts at 10% over cost. So if they get a part from an AC/Delco jobber for under GM cost, I get the part for 10% above whatever they paid, So 4 years ago when I needed an AC compressor, I actually paid below GM cost for it. The shop foreman who I've known for 30 years, installs the parts on Saturday when the boss is not there, so while the dealer might want $200 for labor, he's happy with $50. So until he retires, I will always own a Chevy. GARY

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
I used to work for the dealer that gave me that price. They sell $1.8 million in parts a month. 12 delivery trucks going to body shops, repair centers, & export companies, I get parts at 10% over cost. So if they get a part from an AC/Delco jobber for under GM cost, I get the part for 10% above whatever they paid, So 4 years ago when I needed an AC compressor, I actually paid below GM cost for it. The shop foreman who I've known for 30 years, installs the parts on Saturday when the boss is not there, so while the dealer might want $200 for labor, he's happy with $50. So until he retires, I will always own a Chevy. GARY

Sounds like you might be the most popular guy on this forum now.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Forgot to finish the story. A few months later I went back for the left bearing. The heat riser lubricant that my friend sprayed in there to free the bearing from the axle worked perfectly. The bearing came right off with zero effort. While he was finishing up, I asked about the belt the oil change joint said needed changing, & quoted 1 hour labor. Took him 4 minutes to change the belt. A great day. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: