NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Rear window defogger
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Rear window defogger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hailster

Posts per day: 0.01

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:  Rear window defogger Reply with quote

I have a 2002 Impala and can't get the rear window defogger to work. So far I have verified that the relay is working properly, checked that I have voltage on both sides of the circuit breaker, check continuity between the switched output pin on the relay and the rear window and check continuity between the two contacts on the back windows. I really don't know where to go next since it seems like I have everything covered. Do any of you have any suggestions on what to try next?

Thanks.

WizAired CAI, Northstar Throttle Body, ZZP SS M90 with 3.6" pulley and SSIC, Ported LIM, ZZP Yella Terra 1.95 Roller Rockers, Comp Cams 105# valve springs, Lucas 38# Flowmatched injectors, Milzy Stage 2 heads milled .020, SLP Headers, SLP cat, GMPP cat back, Thrasher Shift Kit, Custom Tuned PCM, ZZP Poly Motor mounts, Solid lower motor mount, ZZP Poly tranny mount, F-Body Brakes
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So you do have 12 volts at the back window when the switch is turned on ?

hailster

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Both rear window tabs measure 0 volts with the switch turned on.

WizAired CAI, Northstar Throttle Body, ZZP SS M90 with 3.6" pulley and SSIC, Ported LIM, ZZP Yella Terra 1.95 Roller Rockers, Comp Cams 105# valve springs, Lucas 38# Flowmatched injectors, Milzy Stage 2 heads milled .020, SLP Headers, SLP cat, GMPP cat back, Thrasher Shift Kit, Custom Tuned PCM, ZZP Poly Motor mounts, Solid lower motor mount, ZZP Poly tranny mount, F-Body Brakes
bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Do you have the wiring diagram for the Rear window? If not PM me your Email addy,if you want it.

hailster

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PM sent. Thanks. I had the service manual on my old computer but couldn't find the disk to put it on my new one.

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Done

hailster

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the diagram, it helped a lot. It appears that there is a open between the circuit breaker and the pin that the dark green wire connects to on the fuse box. Seems odd to me that this would happen.

I'll be stopping by a junk yard in a couple days to get a new fuse box and will post a update letting you know if this for sure fixed it.

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That sounds odd. The relay is good?
hailster

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
That sounds odd. The relay is good?

Yes the relay and circuit breaker are good. I lose the voltage somewhere after the circuit breaker. I pulled the dark green wire out of the harness to verify that something wasn't pulling down the voltage on on the output connector of the fuse block and there still isn't voltage there. I even verified that I pulled the correct wire by taking a resistance measurement between the green wire and ground (1 ohm), I then disconnected the green wire connector that goes into the radio antenna module (Open connection to ground).

I then removed the wire harness connector that goes into the fuse box and checked resistance between the pin that the green wire would connect to and the circuit breaker and it measures open. I wish I had another impala to compare this to but I won't be able to 100% verify it until I get to the junk yard tomorrow or Thursday.

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the relay for the rear defogger doesn't provide power to the circuit unless the engine is running. I don't think turning the key to on and hitting the button will actually turn it on, despite what the indicator light on the climate control panel tells you.

hailster

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well I feel dumb now, I took another look at it before going to the junk yard and didn't notice that there was another circuit breaker hidden behind a metal bracket. I pulled out the fuse box and checked the breaker and it measured good but I decided to swap the two breakers and the rear window defogger is working now. Surprisingly the power seat still works too but I'll be ordering a new breaker to put in right away.

Thanks for all of your help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: