NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Fog lights on 03 9C1 Impala
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Fog lights on 03 9C1 Impala

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrustnut

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:  Fog lights on 03 9C1 Impala Reply with quote

Hey all, just had a question about fog light operation on a police version 03 Impala. It is the LS version with fog lights in the bumper, the lights and wiring is all there however the switch inside is the SERV MODE common to the 9C1 Impalas. My question is how the heck do you turn on the fog lights? I have tried all light switch positions and nothing. The bulbs look good, I just have no idea how they work. Let me know if you have any experience with this, my next option is to go with an aftermarket relay/switch set up. I commute over 100 miles a day and last early winter there was a good month stretch where fog lights would have been pretty nice to have.
Thanks
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm probably wrong on this, but I thought that none of the 9C1/9C3 Impalas had fog lights. Is it possible that the bumper has been replaced at some point?

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The bumper was likely replaced. I have never seen a 9C3 option with fog lights - especially because the fog light button is where the surv mode switch goes. Check the RPO codes on the SPID label inside the trunk lid...

The only way to wire a factory switch is to replace the BCM, get it programmed for fog lights, and add pins and wires to the BCM harness as I don't think the 9C1 or 9C3 has the wiring present for them. It would be far easier to add an aftermarket switch. The relay and wiring for the fog lights may not even be present in the underhood fuse box as well.

thrustnut

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think its all factory, the wiring is all there in the factory looms and the fuse box has the fuse and relay for it. The relay is good (I swapped it with the horn relay) and the 10A fuse is good as well. I have had this car for a year or so and have done MANY repairs but just started looking into what consisted of the 9C1 package and aftermarket goodies. From the reading I have done I am missing a few of the typical things included in this package, but have the SURV switch, which is operational. From what the auction told me, it was a local detective car, for whatever it's worth. It also has a large wiring loom on the drivers side kinda close to the intake that has been cut. You would never know it's a police car other that that switch. Thanks for the input guys, I will just go the aftermarket route. The SURV button is kinda cool.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Bumper from another car. Does surv mode function properly? Does the car have the 2nd "super bright" dome lamp by the top of the windshield for writing tickets? Also all 9C1/9C3 cars were base models, not LS. Take the VIN # to the parts dept at the Chevy dealer, & check for 9C1/9C3, & fog lamps in the RPO code list. Also verify LS/Base. Below is a quote from a Chevrolet site. It states that fog lamps never came on a 9C1/9C3 car, since the "surv mode" switch went where the fog lamp switch would go. Unless it's not a 9C1/9C3 car, & someone grabbed the 9C1/9C3 headlamp switch from a bone yard. Can't have both in the same car, so verify what you really have. GARY
Also released with this version were the Police Package first released in 2000 and Undercover Police Package first released in 2001, named 9C1 and 9C3, respectively. Available only to law enforcement agencies, fire departments, and EMS agencies, it has had more success than its predecessor, the Lumina 9C3. The 9C1 was a base model with a stronger suspension and the 3.8 liter (231 cu in) V6 engine. It was only available in a few basic colors. Another addition was the "SURV MODE" switch that replaced the fog light switch found on the LS. This enabled the driver to turn off all lights in the vehicle and "hide"; something not allowed with the civilian models, as automatic headlights were standard. The 9C3 was comparably equipped to the 9C1, but the ability to add other convenience options and more paint and interior choices set the 9C3 apart.

thrustnut

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The SERV MODE works, dims all the lights it should. I don't have the additional interior light that should be in the police cars. It's badged as an LS, has leather and fake wood interior package along with the upgraded stereo with CD player, from what I have seen other police versions did not have this option. It also came with the factory aluminum chevy rims, not the black steel wheels. The auction place I bought it from bought a bunch of cars from the county and this was one of them. I suppose the bumper could have been replaced, just seems weird they would have replaced it with an LS bumper if it didn't come with it.Thanks for the imput on the 9C1/9C3, I read all that before I asked the question knowing that my car was weird. I was trying to figure out why it would have lights hooked up that you couldn't control. I pulled a big hunk of wiring out of the car last week when I ran the fog light switch wiring. It ran along the side of the drivers seat up under the hood, I guess about 10 feet of wire cut off on both ends. There is also some extra stuff tied into the fuse box that doesn't look factory, but has no affect on the car so I'm not worried about it.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Probably a 9C3 car. You can check the RPO codes to know for sure. There have been a few people here that have badged their 9C1/9C3 as LS and added the bumper. Not an uncommon thing.

Its also possible they changed the bumper after it was damaged and simply found a painted LS bumper as a scrap yard.

Last edited by Pitch Black SS on Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup. Look for the 9C1, or 9C3 codes on the RPO decal. Also look for the auxiliary oil coolers behind the grille. My 9C3 car everything a 9C1 car has except for carpeting on the floor, & split bench seats. GARY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: