NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - bright bypass
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

bright bypass
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Funny bright bypass Reply with quote

Hello again, been a mint since the last time. Have a couple questions, I have silver stars as low beams but everywhere I go doesn't have a listing for the brights....are they the same bulb as lows? Next question since I've had the car I have not used the high beams for more than flashing because the one time I clicked them on to use them switch almost got stuck. Is there a way to wire them to a auxiliary switch? Thanks! -Matt

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

For your first question, The part number for high beams are 9005. I have Silverstar ultras in my highs. You can find them in any autoparts store. At least I did.

I'm sorry I can't answer your second question though.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
impala2k
Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Couldn't I just unplug the high beam connector, and run a negative off the bulb to a ground and positive to a switch? What amperage to high beams draw? What would this do to the drl? Thanks![/quote]

NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Headlights are controlled through the BCM, so running them off an auxiliary switch probably not gonna work.

Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My multifunction switch works fine except for brights. I'm talking about running wires from the bulb to a switch. Maybe 20 amp switch. If I have to I will leave plugs connected to a bulb. And put the new wired bulb in the headlight. It'd be messy to have to leave one dangling but if I can run brights then IM in. On the other hand has anyone taken apart the mfs to fix it? How hard to replace mfs? Thanks

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you're taking it apart of replacing it, you're likely going to have to pull the whole steering wheel off. It's not difficult with the right tools but a standard steering wheel puller will need a nut and washer behind each leg as the Impala does not have threaded holes in the steering wheel for it to pop off (which is a pain), or you need a set of puller legs that have a flat hook on the end.

I don't think anyone here has fixed a MFS; usually it's just a replace the whole thing deal. You could probably wire in a separate switch for the high beams; you would just have to figure out which wires you have to use. You probably wouldn't need a relay if you tapped into the wire between the BCM and the MFS or the BCM and the fuse box as it would be low amperage and most likely a ground switched connection as well.

It's probably a 1 1/2 hour job to replace it if you have the right tools to get the airbag and steering wheel off quickly and you have done it before to know how everything comes apart. Otherwise it would probably take 2-3 hours.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Running new wires and bypassing the BCM will make it throw a error. Probably Bulb Out or something similar.

Plus, with the way the headlights are wired up in these cars, you may lose your lows if you disconnect the highs.

The only way I can think of is to wire the highs like you want and leave the original highs in the harness and taped up in the engine compartment. They wont be on, but the BCM will still see them and not throw a fit.

Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to do a trial run. See how it goes. I realize I will lose drls. Atleast until night time when lows kick on. Could I use aux power terminal our would straight to battery be better? What kinda amperage do the highs take or what amp switch should I use? Thanks.

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pitch Black SS wrote:
Running new wires and bypassing the BCM will make it throw a error. Probably Bulb Out or something similar.

Plus, with the way the headlights are wired up in these cars, you may lose your lows if you disconnect the highs.

The only way I can think of is to wire the highs like you want and leave the original highs in the harness and taped up in the engine compartment. They wont be on, but the BCM will still see them and not throw a fit.

So in other words, it's probably not worth it. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
So in other words, it's probably not worth it. Laughing

My thoughts exactly

Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Point taken. thanks for the help.

Resident
Resident

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So when I go on Ebay to look for multi function switch I get results all over the board in price anywhere from 35 dollars to 170 for dorman ones. Any to avoid? Anyone had experience with any brand in particular? How much to pay? Thanks!

Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Call up Morad Parts to get one - just make sure to specify with or without cruise control. I bought a used one from them eight or nine years ago and it's still going strong.

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Funny Re: bright bypass Reply with quote

impala2k wrote:
Hello again, been a mint since the last time. Have a couple questions, I have silver stars as low beams but everywhere I go doesn't have a listing for the brights....are they the same bulb as lows? Next question since I've had the car I have not used the high beams for more than flashing because the one time I clicked them on to use them switch almost got stuck. Is there a way to wire them to a auxiliary switch? Thanks! -Matt
can't since the HIGHS

have two levels of brightness

bright and very bright (5-10% more brighter)(when the switch is pulled all the way forward.)
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Funny Re: bright bypass Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
impala2k wrote:
can't since the HIGHS

have two levels of brightness

bright and very bright (5-10% more brighter)(when the switch is pulled all the way forward.)

No they dont. They are a single filament bulb. They simply come on to a single level of brightness. You probably have a short in the switch and its causing the lows to come on with them, giving the illusion of another level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: