NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Oil Level Sensor
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Oil Level Sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chamber

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject:  Oil Level Sensor Reply with quote

I have replaced the oil level sensor (threads into the front of the oil pan) multiple times. Each time, it works OK for a while, then starts causing the "Low Oil Level" message to appear, even though the oil level is fine (just below "max" on the dipstick). I don't think it is a faulty wire, because then it would occur immediately, instead of working OK for several weeks and then causing the problem.
Anybody else have this issue, or have any ideas what it could be?
Thanks.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.26

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This is a new one to me. I don't recall any member having this problem. Just off the top of my head is there a good ground between the engine and body ? For fun make a jumper wire from the engine and attach it to the frame to see if it helps.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My GF had to have that sensor replaced once, but that was it. No problem since then. Did you use a real GM/AC Delco sensor? GARY

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.11

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
My GF had to have that sensor replaced once, but that was it. No problem since then. Did you use a real GM/AC Delco sensor? GARY

This.

Our cars really don't like anything else when it comes to
engine electronics or emissions.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.29

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its possible that the new sensor is bad.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.39

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:  Re: Oil Level Sensor Reply with quote

Chamber wrote:
I have replaced the oil level sensor (threads into the front of the oil pan) multiple times. Each time, it works OK for a while, then starts causing the "Low Oil Level" message to appear, even though the oil level is fine (just below "max" on the dipstick). I don't think it is a faulty wire, because then it would occur immediately, instead of working OK for several weeks and then causing the problem.
Anybody else have this issue, or have any ideas what it could be?
Thanks.

maybe because you used a non-oem sensor ?

length matters since the non oems are short (oems are quite long) this can cause low oil even if you are down 1/2 qt

to trip the sensor it has to be down to 1.5 qt of oil

the sensor is about 7 inches while the non oem is about 3-4 inches

when I had mine replaced I used one NOS from 2004 the new ones did not look that great surely made "even cheaper"

only reason for changing it was the
change engine oil light would not turn off narrowed it down to that sensor

but I had the oil pan swapped out it was leaking on the seal ( had a fairly large sized dent in it as someone tried to lift the car using the oil pan ) DOH... Rolling Eyes
Chamber

Posts per day: 0.02

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:

One of the times I replaced it, I used an AC Delco sensor, the rest have been w/ Airtex. I'm pretty sure when I compared the AC Delco to the Airtex one I had removed, they were identical (in length). Will try another Delco next time I change the oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: