NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2000 Impala LS... Buy or pass??
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2000 Impala LS... Buy or pass??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tman

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:  2000 Impala LS... Buy or pass?? Reply with quote

Decided to pass on the 04 LS that I posted about here a couple weeks ago. Just saw this on craigslist, going to check it out tomorrow morning. I think we will buy it if it passes a mechanics inspection. What do you think?

http://minneapolis.craigslist......77723.html

It has 189K, but lots of new parts!

-newish tires
-new water pump
-new BCM
-new Mass airflow sensor
-new intake and valve cover gasket
-new coolant elbows (metal)
-new hoses, new heater core hoses

It comes with a carfax and reciepts for parts. Just a little rust by the gas cap.
He only wants $2400 for it, it needs a o2 sensor and the ABS light is on. Gonna offer him $2000 and see what happens. But there's a ton of new parts, which is something.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:  Re: 2000 Impala LS... Buy or pass?? Reply with quote

tman wrote:
Decided to pass on the 04 LS that I posted about here a couple weeks ago. Just saw this on craigslist, going to check it out tomorrow morning. I think we will buy it if it passes a mechanics inspection. What do you think?

http://minneapolis.craigslist......77723.html

It has 189K, but lots of new parts!

-newish tires
-new water pump
-new BCM
-new Mass airflow sensor
-new intake and valve cover gasket
-new coolant elbows (metal)
-new hoses, new heater core hoses

It comes with a carfax and reciepts for parts. Just a little rust by the gas cap.
He only wants $2400 for it, it needs a o2 sensor and the ABS light is on. Gonna offer him $2000 and see what happens. But there's a ton of new parts, which is something.
i would pass on a 00 model since the parts are not the same as 01 to 05 models some mechanical (emissions related) items are specific to that year. which means the parts are hard to find

I betting the cat is gone on it and needs replacement I would get a code reader and see what codes it has

you will be able to tell if it's ready for smog

if it says not ready drive cycle is about 120 miles
smog will come on between 1-120 miles p0420... for a quicker test (guaranteed to trip the code in under 30 seconds That is assuming there is a issue) is having the car next to a diesel engine exhaust

it has dead sensor(s) on one of the wheel(s)
if it turns on, on start up and stays on
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would pass as well. I would preferably hold off for a 2004 or 2005. GM had a lot of issues with the 2000 that started tapering down as time went on...and as others have said, a lot of parts are specific to that model year for some reason.

tman

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

well, I didn't read this before going to check out the car. But we didn't buy it- it needed about $3500 worth of work (cv joint, tie rod ends) , leaking oil and p/s fluid, also the check engine light was on (it was throwing lots of codes. ABS/trac lights were on too. So, I got incredibly lucky that we spent the 80 bucks to have a shop look it over, because it needed a TON of stuff. SO, I will narrow my search to maybe 2002-2005s. Thanks for the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: