NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - A/C leaking into passenger compartment
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

A/C leaking into passenger compartment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:  A/C leaking into passenger compartment Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place, but it's not a mod, so here goes.

This past winter i had to have my radiator and water pump replaced. I know the water pump requires removing some stuff from the passenger side compartment, and it looks like perhaps they messed something up. Now, when I run the A/C, water condenses and leaks on the passenger side, soaking the passenger floor. I know it's the A/C, as it happens when it's not raining and the water is cold. Is there a block somewhere I can check, or should I take it back to the shop that worked on the radiator and have them look at it again to make sure they didn't install something backwards?

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. K&N Air filter. Can't do much else on a hybrid.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There's a drain tube that terminates into an elbow on the engine side of the firewall on the passenger side that is supposed to drain the moisture out of the condenser area. My guess is that the elbow or tube is plugged. I've never had the issue myself so I haven't pulled it off, but it's on my to do list after owning the car for ten years.

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That's kind of odd....

If look at your firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle, there should be a 90* plastic type elbow sticking out. It's an evaporator drain tube and also doubles as a blower motor vent tube. It my be disconnected, broken or gone.

Part number is 22697948 if you want to search it.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

Posts per day: 1.27

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow,... I was slow on that one. Laughing

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Used to sell plenty of those tubes with my brief Dodge parts career. Not so much with GM. GARY

Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Wow,... I was slow on that one. Laughing

Wink Cool

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll have to remove a few more pieces underneath the passenger side. I removed the piece that has the light in it, and I could feel where it was damp after running the A/C. But couldn't see exactly where the leak was originating. I'm pretty sure it's not even making it outside the car like it's supposed to, so I suspect the shop that fixed my radiator either forgot to put it back in or broke it when the reassembled everything.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
bigdog60
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I really don't see any reason for the rad repair to affect the vent tube. I would be looking to see if it is plugged. Open the engine bonnet and look down behind the alternator on the firewall (the passenger side) it is easy to see, turn it up and blow air or stick a wire into it to see if its plugged. I believe it pulls off easily also.

Like ZSpot already said Embarassed

Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:
I really don't see any reason for the rad repair to affect the vent tube. I would be looking to see if it is plugged. Open the engine bonnet and look down behind the alternator on the firewall (the passenger side) it is easy to see, turn it up and blow air or stick a wire into it to see if its plugged. I believe it pulls off easily also.

We call them "hoods" in these parts. Razz

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
bigdog60 wrote:

We call them "hoods" in these parts. Razz

Hard to teach and old dog new tricks Laughing

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:

Yeah, nothing. It's not THAT easy to see. I couldn't see it until I lift the car up and saw it pointing down. Jammed a coat hanger in there, and nothing. My arm's too big to fit through there to try to remove it. And I'm not sure where it connects inside the car without just randomly unscrewing parts to see where it is.

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Deezul_AwT wrote:
bigdog60 wrote:

Yeah, nothing. It's not THAT easy to see. I couldn't see it until I lift the car up and saw it pointing down. Jammed a coat hanger in there, and nothing. My arm's too big to fit through there to try to remove it. And I'm not sure where it connects inside the car without just randomly unscrewing parts to see where it is.

I stand corrected....I didn't notice you were supercharged and I guess the last time I was in that area the radiator overflow tank had been removed.

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Something else I noticed today, and it's not something that I would be on the look out for because of the location of the leak. It doesn't leak until I'm accelerating, so wherever it's coming out it's building up until there's enough to flow. It's why I could never find the leak when I'm stopped and running the A/C. I could feel the moisture, but not see the drip. Don't know if that gives anyone any other ideas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: