NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2003 Impala 3.4 - No camshafts available from GM for months
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2003 Impala 3.4 - No camshafts available from GM for months
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle_in_Tex

Posts per day: 0.02

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject:  2003 Impala 3.4 - No camshafts available from GM for months Reply with quote

Hey folks, 1st post. Lots of great info here. Long time lurker.

Can anyone help me find a camshaft for my 3.4. The book shows it is the same number for model years 2003-2005.

A dealer told me they are on backorder from GM and not obsoleted. He says that means they should have more eventually. This cam fits 121 different vehicles across 4 years. I am fairly ticked at GM for not having these available. I had ordered an aftermarket cam but turns out it was for 2002 model. The lobe for the cam sensor is different.

http://parts.rydellchev.com/p/.....67117.html

My car has 292,000 miles, and is in good shape. I have already repaired the heads for the rockers pulling out by installing thread serts. Now the cam gets worn on 1 lobe and it makes a funny noise. I had a youtube vid posted of funny noise some time ago. Yes, it has been down for about a year now. Sad

Thank you for listening.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you asked your dealer to run the GM part number on their locator machine to see if any dealer in North America has one in stock? Should the part be at any dealer in the country, they could get it for you in a day. GARY

Kyle_in_Tex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Have you asked your dealer to run the GM part number on their locator machine to see if any dealer in North America has one in stock? Should the part be at any dealer in the country, they could get it for you in a day. GARY

Yes, and there aren't any right now. Makes me wonder how many other people are waiting for 1.
Frank4202
Senior Level
Senior Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.76

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1997 Chevrolet Corvette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Kyle_in_Tex wrote:
9C3 wrote:

Yes, and there aren't any right now. Makes me wonder how many other people are waiting for 1.

I think the majority of people would scrap the car instead.

Sold 28/10/11
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Kyle_in_Tex wrote:

To be honest, 30 years in the GM parts business, & no dealer ever kept a camshaft in stock. We stocked parts that sold, & there was never a demand for a stock camshaft. GARY

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank4202 wrote:
Kyle_in_Tex wrote:
9C3 wrote:

I think the majority of people would scrap the car instead.
not every one has 20k-30k to drop on a new car

sales tax insurance down payment etc...

these up front are about 5-7k costs

6-7 years of car insurance will be about 10 to 13k over the loan life most people fail to account for it
and 17 to 22k over the life of the car assuming you don't sell the car tell the 10 year or 12 year mark
assuming 10k miles per year

plus no one wants a 10 year model run time cough dinosaur

what were they thinking doing that 06 all the way to 16 with out face lift...

for some people it's more ideal to keep a car and save a monthly payment for a new car that is paid in cash... most will do full coverage on a new car for a better price if you don't have a loan on it
ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Kyle_in_Tex wrote:
9C3 wrote:

Your dealer is true in their words. Not a single dealer shows up on our national locator. I also checked a couple of my aftermarket sources, and nothing available there either.

However, I did call GM for you. They told me that the supplier of the camshaft has a projected ship date to GM at the end of August. So at least they have a supplier and the part is being manufactured.

The fastest way for you to get one, is to have the dealer place one on order for you and have them upgrade it to a SPAC case,... if you haven't already. That puts your order in front of a lower priority order, such as a stock order.

NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.28

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Have you contacted Milzy Motorsports? They are very knowledgeable and capable 3400 engine builders. They offer custom grinds and may even have some stockers.

http://www.milzymotorsports.co.....camshafts/

Best thing would be to just give them a call and see what they can offer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Kyle_in_Tex wrote:
9C3 wrote:

Your dealer is true in their words. Not a single dealer shows up on our national locator. I also checked a couple of my aftermarket sources, and nothing available there either.

However, I did call GM for you. They told me that the supplier of the camshaft has a projected ship date to GM at the end of August. So at least they have a supplier and the part is being manufactured.

The fastest way for you to get one, is to have the dealer place one on order for you and have them upgrade it to a SPAC case,... if you haven't already. That puts your order in front of a lower priority order, such as a stock order.

Thank you so much. This is the best info I have rec'd so far. I will put in an order.

Thanks again all,
Kyle

ps, my FIL wanted me to scrap the car but I just got through going through the whole front end. A arms, bushings, shocks, rotors, pads, transaxles, new electric fans. She was riding like a new car before the cam gave out. I've been into the engine 3 times previous. The first time I did the Intake gaskets, 2nd the #1 rocker arm threadsert, 3rd I did all the rest of the threadserts. I took off the heads and put new gaskets. Checked the valves for leaks pouring some gas into the ports. Only 1 valve leaked a bit and I used some clover compound to lap it in. The tranny has been replaced with a rebuilt GM tranny with 3 yr 100000 mile warranty. The tranny that was replaced had a problem the day I picked it up and gm had to do it again.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Rockauto has a stock camshaft for 156 bucks. I can't speak knowledgably here to know the quality of the part, but it could be there in a week.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
Rockauto has a stock camshaft for 156 bucks. I can't speak knowledgably here to know the quality of the part, but it could be there in a week.
Who makes this cam? Sure, I might put Gates, or Dayco hoses on my car instead of GM, but I wouldn't take a chance on a cam. GARY

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I pulled up the info for an 02 made by engine tech. I just checked the 03+ and there is no listing
Kyle_in_Tex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
I pulled up the info for an 02 made by engine tech. I just checked the 03+ and there is no listing

clegg engine had inadvertently sold me an engine tech cam but the timing pattern for the camshaft sensor is different. Called engine tech and their guy told me that it only fit through '02 models. they did not have anything for '03-05 models.

I have searched RockAuto and not had any luck.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.35

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Kyle_in_Tex wrote:
98ss wrote:

clegg engine had inadvertently sold me an engine tech cam but the timing pattern for the camshaft sensor is different. Called engine tech and their guy told me that it only fit through '02 models. they did not have anything for '03-05 models.

ebay

but the price maybe higher since they are scarce

after some searching

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-03-.....1660375512
Kyle_in_Tex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
Kyle_in_Tex wrote:
98ss wrote:

ebay

but the price maybe higher since they are scarce

after some searching

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-03-.....1660375512

This is the same engine tech cam that won't work for an '03 model. It is improperly listed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: