NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Steering Rack
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Steering Rack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.24

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:  Steering Rack Reply with quote

My rack is starting to leak, nothing major just wet in certain places. No drips or apparent loss of fluid either. I'm thinking about replacing it, but not sure if I should go after market with a lifetime warranty or get it from the dealer.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Double check the high pressure hose. It will seep/leak and will make the rack appear to leak.
Jayroca
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This. Had the same issue when i did my motor install wiped the rack and pump with a cloth and never had a drop or leak since

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:57 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you replace the rack...Morad Parts. The problem with the aftermarket ones is there are either two or three different steering ratios and it isn't always clear which one you are getting. I spent about $80 on a 'new' rack since my old one was leaking internally and going through the left inner tie rod end every 50K.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
If you replace the rack...Morad Parts. The problem with the aftermarket ones is there are either two or three different steering ratios and it isn't always clear which one you are getting.
That's because the "rebuilders" don't take the time to properly classify all the options, so you get the exact match for your car. Years ago I needed a rack for a car, & none of the ones they sent over were correct. We tried different vendors, & they all sent the same rack as each other, but they were not what was in the car. Finally we called the rebuilder, & he too sent the same rack. When we called back, he did say very few cars like mine had the same problem. He suggested I send him the rack I had, & he rebuilt that one. Problem solved. GARY

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll just go with a OEM or A/C Delco replacement, looking at this part #88955466 now. Although I hear this place is good; http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2.....mp;vxp=mtr

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's here, picking up the sway bar tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be able to do the install this weekend.

Jayroca
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.16

2007 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good score make sure that you get all the air out paint your sway bar blue lol

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The deed is done, steering feels tighter and a noise that plagued me for years is gone. Here's the procedure I used after reading various posts and watching You tube videos.
I did the usual put the car on jack stands.I placed the stands at the front of the sub-frame, most people said don't support the vehicle by the sub-frame since it needs to be lowered. I saw a picture where someone lowered the rear sub-frame with the front supported and decided to give it a try. My sway bar wasn't all that bad, but decided to replace it now rather than later. First I moved the drivers seat forward, put the seat belt through it and then moved the seat back to keep the steering wheel straight. I disconnected the sway and with a little finesse I removed it through the drivers side. Once the bar was removed there seemed to be enough room to remove the rack without dropping the sub-frame. The sub-frame bolts were unobstructed, so why drop the frame. I removed the steering shaft bolt, power steering lines, outer tie-rods, rack bolts and removed the rack through the drivers side. I counted the number of grooves on the inner tie-rods, to be used as a reference when placing the outer tie-rods on the new steering rack. I placed both racks next to each other for comparison and noticed the steering shaft connection wasn't oriented the same. So I turned the the shaft on the new rack to match the old one. This helps keep the steering wheel centered. Once mounted further adjustment may be necessary when attaching the steering shaft. The only problem I had during the removal was the power steering lines. They had to be removed from the top through the engine compartment. The wrench I had only allowed limited movement, stubby's would have been better. I plan on purchasing some in the future.

AC Delco rack;

Dorman Sway bay;

Seat belt around steering wheel;

Leaking rack;

Sway bar removed;

Sway bar and rack removed.Notice sub-frame is still attached;

New and old rack. The plastic piece the boot connects to was no longer attached to the rack before I removed it. This appear to be the original rack as indicated by the sticker.;

Shaft orientation before;

After;

Various pictures;

BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.22

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good pictures, it seems less intimidating than I thought. Although I will have to drop the subframe anyway to resolve the misalignment the car has. Might as well throw a new rack and suspension goodies while it's off Laughing

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

BaseLS wrote:
Good pictures, it seems less intimidating than I thought. Although I will have to drop the subframe anyway to resolve the misalignment the car has. Might as well throw a new rack and suspension goodies while it's off Laughing

I was reluctant in dropping the sub-frame, due to reading that some had misalignment issues after reconnecting it. I was happy when I realized I didn't have to. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. The rack installed from the drivers side. The Dorman sway bar installs from the passengers side, remove the passenger side rotor for more clearance something I didn't do. I installed and torqued everything down before I connected the steering shaft.
Besides leaking, this is what I was experiencing;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHXYtBXVQOk
Another video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqJD0LOmDiA

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.95

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

How does the sway bar feel? Those Dormans are thicker than the stock one.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
How does the sway bar feel? Those Dormans are thicker than the stock one.

Haven't really driven it yet, just to the alignment shop and back home. The original bar wasn't cracked, broken or rusty. I decided changed it now, since I was working in that area instead of waiting for it to break. I'll post a review after I've had a chance to really to drive around.

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Everything's fine so far and I'm happy with the new car feel. Here are some additional pics;
Distance between tie rod and sway bar

Distance between down-pipe and sway bar. only the tip of my pinky finger fits between the two, don't know if I'll have enough clearance if I switch to a 3 inch down pipe.

ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.48

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sir, I believe that point should go down, not up. You might have it on upside down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: