NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - audible clunking while shifting gears (not transm
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

audible clunking while shifting gears (not transm

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 603
Posts per day: 0.34


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject:  audible clunking while shifting gears (not transm Reply with quote

I hear a audible clunking while shifting gears (not transmission or engine related ) is that normal ? what could be the issue


seems related to the steering................ it also makes the noise while going over bumps and stopping fast
it's been doing that for the last 10,000 miles

I keep thinking the wheel is going to fly off sooner or later

are the shocks no good?

heres youtube

you can see the whole engine and transmission move when it's turned all the way to the left


it does not do that when it's pointed straight

also ignore the sound of the engine the microphone does not pick up lower frequencies good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....e=youtu.be
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Dec 22, 2005
Posts: 3909
Posts per day: 0.89
Location: Dallas

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I can only really hear the first clunk when the wheel is first turned...

first guess is ball joint bushing driver's side.
while you're down there, go ahead and check the other rubbers

then I would check the strut top mounting plate..

2 Cents
hope that helps

_________________
**Formally GrapeJelly05**
*I might disagree with your religion, your politics and/or your use (or slaughter) of the English language. But make no mistake, I would still fight beside you in defense of freedom.*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator


Joined: Mar 08, 2004
Posts: 12756
Posts per day: 2.54
Location: Tullahoma, TN

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo


PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

can also check the engine cradle bolts.

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 603
Posts per day: 0.34


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Grape wrote:
I can only really hear the first clunk when the wheel is first turned...

first guess is ball joint bushing driver's side.
while you're down there, go ahead and check the other rubbers

then I would check the strut top mounting plate..

2 Cents
hope that helps



thanks as you can see the whole engine and transmission moves..

there was a lot of transmission problems since the rebuild (was a 1/2 ass rebuild but it had to be pulled 3 times in 5k miles for varies problems.
torque converter blew out so it was replaced 3 times Shocked


I think they put a better one instead of the el-cheapo one




3rd time was the charm but a "major bolt" was not tighten correctly my regular mechanic said the wheel could have flew off while driving .

the rebuild was done before I bought the car ...




The car runs great No leaks
I took care of everything...


No oil leaks
no transmission leaks
no coolant leaks
it's worth keeping now

I just got to get the a/c working and it's done..


it's not working because I damaged it with the wheel well cover a few years back Sad

Pitch Black SS wrote:
can also check the engine cradle bolts.


were are these located?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 3466
Posts per day: 0.77
Location: Colorado

2001 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:

Pitch Black SS wrote:
can also check the engine cradle bolts.


were are these located?

Four total...one on each corner of the cradle where it meets the body. Off the top of my head, I think they are 19mm (but they might be 18 or 21).

_________________
2001 Galaxy Silver 9C1 w/ L67 and 4T65E-HD...and a few other mods. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 1.94
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
Grape wrote:
I can only really hear the first clunk when the wheel is first turned...

first guess is ball joint bushing driver's side.
while you're down there, go ahead and check the other rubbers

then I would check the strut top mounting plate..

2 Cents
hope that helps



thanks as you can see the whole engine and transmission moves..

there was a lot of transmission problems since the rebuild (was a 1/2 ass rebuild but it had to be pulled 3 times in 5k miles for varies problems.
torque converter blew out so it was replaced 3 times Shocked


I think they put a better one instead of the el-cheapo one




3rd time was the charm but a "major bolt" was not tighten correctly my regular mechanic said the wheel could have flew off while driving .

the rebuild was done before I bought the car ...




The car runs great No leaks
I took care of everything...


No oil leaks
no transmission leaks
no coolant leaks
it's worth keeping now

I just got to get the a/c working and it's done..


it's not working because I damaged it with the wheel well cover a few years back Sad

Pitch Black SS wrote:
can also check the engine cradle bolts.


were are these located?



Damn, that's more like a 1/4 assed rebuild. These transmissions are bad, but not that bad too be rebuilt 3 times in 5,000 miles. Not even Toyota transmissions are that bad. Razz

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: December 12, 2017, 8:04:29 am
Page Generation: 0.14 Seconds ( SQL 27:115 in 0.01 Seconds )