NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Bad EVAP purge valve or Canister Solenoid?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Bad EVAP purge valve or Canister Solenoid?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:  Bad EVAP purge valve or Canister Solenoid? Reply with quote

After getting terrible fuel smell in the car's cabin while the heat is on (fumes happen often, but not all the time) i took it to my mechanic to have him run a smoke test on the EVAP system. On my invoice it says "Found leak at EVAP. CANISTER SOLENOID"

Question is: is he talking about the purge valve or the canister vent solenoid? Might sound like a dumb question.. reason i ask is that since i am smelling the fumes, wouldnt it be the purge valve? or is the canister vent under the hood also? Had a family friend who is a mechanic show me today and he showed me the purge valve, not the canister vent solenoid which is why i am confused. Thanks!

http://www.autozone.com/engine.....4_0_12209/

or

http://www.autozone.com/engine.....d=11131781

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The solenoids are most likely not bad. There is a leak somewhere. The idea is that the fuel vapors are stored in the charcoal canister and upon driving they are fed back into the engine...hence why your fuel tank is pressurized. Even if the vent valve is wide open...you should be able to smell nothing because it is after the canister. Which vents the pressure after you turn the key off, and closes upon driving. The solenoid which is up near the engine....opens when you drive. I would guess one of the lines is cracked.
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

we visually looked at the lines the best we could today. Put it up on the lift and looked as best the eye could see. Didnt see a crack on any of them. We pressure vacuum tested the purge valve and it slowly lost pressure. As slow as it lost pressure though, i dont think it would cause such a smell.

My gas mileage has decreased slightly. Was getting ~300 miles a tank, now im down to about ~270 with the same driving habits and same routes. Nothing has changed driving wise.

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.26

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have replaced a number of Canister Vent Valves on my 05. Not because of fuel smell. I have never had a fuel smell, only a cel code. Not to be a know it all but there is no liquid fuel in the EVAP system, only a small amount of vapor. I myself would return to your mechanic for a more detailed explanation.

To Add.. Was slow getting this up 98ss has it covered

gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:
I have replaced a number of Canister Vent Valves on my 05. Not because of fuel smell. I have never had a fuel smell, only a cel code. Not to be a know it all but there is no liquid fuel in the EVAP system, only a small amount of vapor. I myself would return to your mechanic for a more detailed explanation.

I know there is no liquid, only vapor. I am not getting an codes from the ECU. Trying to save some money and do it myself if possible. We looked for any visible cracks in the lines, and tested the purge valve's ability to hold pressure. Any pressure lost would indicate an air leak (or vapor leak).

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gg05impala wrote:
bigdog60 wrote:

I know there is no liquid, only vapor. I am not getting an codes from the ECU. Trying to save some money and do it myself if possible. We looked for any visible cracks in the lines, and tested the purge valve's ability to hold pressure. Any pressure lost would indicate an air leak (or vapor leak).

To me if there are no codes the system is working properly. Check around the fuel pressure regulator, fuel rail. there must be a leak somewhere. btw I know its frustrating.

Just remembered something.. I did have a fuel smell once.. Fuel Filter was leaking.

gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Reason i wish to fix is because i am trying to sell the car. Dont want to dump it on someone else with a problem

98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you can smell fuel vapors with the heat on then...its a pretty big leak. Maybe the purge solenoid which is up by the throttle body, is broken. There is a plastic "T" that breaks.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I agree with big dog on checking the fuel pressure regulator. Been know cause fuel vapor smells.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.37

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gg05impala wrote:
we visually looked at the lines the best we could today. Put it up on the lift and looked as best the eye could see. Didnt see a crack on any of them. We pressure vacuum tested the purge valve and it slowly lost pressure. As slow as it lost pressure though, i dont think it would cause such a smell.

My gas mileage has decreased slightly. Was getting ~300 miles a tank, now im down to about ~270 with the same driving habits and same routes. Nothing has changed driving wise.

it means your losing about a gallon of gas

big leak if you ask me
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
If you can smell fuel vapors with the heat on then...its a pretty big leak. Maybe the purge solenoid which is up by the throttle body, is broken. There is a plastic "T" that breaks.

That's what I tested today and it was leaking slightly. Going back to my guy to get more info on the problem.

98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

gg05impala wrote:
98ss wrote:

That's what I tested today and it was leaking slightly. Going back to my guy to get more info on the problem.

Take the part off that is leaking. Those parts are dealer only parts that commonly break. The solenoid itself can be found aftermarket. Also, maybe a photo would help too.
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Where is the Canister Vent Valve Solenoid located? Anyone have a picture or diagram? googled it but came up short

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

By the Gas filler neck LR of car. Helps to jack the car up a bit. Go under from rear of car.

Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Not saying this is the source of your fuel odor issue, but one of the plugs backed out slightly on my wife's Saturn causing a fuel odor at stoplights. Never happened on my Impala though, but her Saturn has aluminum heads. A contributing factor may have been the fact that I used anti-seize when changing her plugs last time around when the service manual says not to due to possible thread damage with the softer aluminum heads. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: