NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - OBD II Interface
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

OBD II Interface

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:  OBD II Interface Reply with quote

Hello everyone, quick question maybe someone could answer. When it comes to interfacing with our vehicles and the OBD II port I am coming to the belief that what you can do with the interface is basically up to the software on your computer rather than the actual device you plug into the car. Am I correct on this?

I have been trying for two months to get my car back on the road after not being steadily driven for almost a year. I have put countless thousands of miles on it but I still have two diagnostics that just will not complete, the Evap and the Heated O2. Basically I've done every bit of mechanical testing I believe I can do after reading an ungodly amount of information from all over the internet, even some stuff that contradicts, sadly. Anyways, I feel the only thing left to do requires me to interface with the computer, knowing whether or not certain sensors are activating, what the actual temperature readings are, etc. I've even wanted to do the Mode 6 diagnosis in hopes it will help. Sadly I am very limited on funds which is why the car set for so long otherwise I would just take it to a shop.

I suppose I was hoping maybe I can get a cheap interface device somewhere and get software by other means to do what I might need to do. I've even read that it is possible to change something on the computer so that it believes the conditions have been met so that it will run the diagnostics I need ran. I've even debated getting a cheap computer at a junkyard and trying it out to see if that is the problem but even that would require the VIN to be changed in it.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject:  Re: OBD II Interface Reply with quote

William wrote:
Hello everyone, quick question maybe someone could answer. When it comes to interfacing with our vehicles and the OBD II port I am coming to the belief that what you can do with the interface is basically up to the software on your computer rather than the actual device you plug into the car. Am I correct on this?

I have been trying for two months to get my car back on the road after not being steadily driven for almost a year. I have put countless thousands of miles on it but I still have two diagnostics that just will not complete, the Evap and the Heated O2. Basically I've done every bit of mechanical testing I believe I can do after reading an ungodly amount of information from all over the internet, even some stuff that contradicts, sadly. Anyways, I feel the only thing left to do requires me to interface with the computer, knowing whether or not certain sensors are activating, what the actual temperature readings are, etc. I've even wanted to do the Mode 6 diagnosis in hopes it will help. Sadly I am very limited on funds which is why the car set for so long otherwise I would just take it to a shop.
do you know that actual codes it would be more helpful

if the cat is burned it's going to cost you 130$ total for a after market replacement

but after rebate it's only $19

I paid 19$ after selling my old one for scrap

rebate meaning you sell the old on ebay

Evap and the Heated O2

the o2 sensor has a heating element

basically the thing that warms it up is showing 0 resistance meaning it's not working.

Just like when a light bulb is out it hyperflashes because of no resistance. To indicate the bulb is out
William

Posts per day: 0

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Actually, there are no codes at all. Well, besides a right front wheel speed code. I need to change that hub but I just don't see putting the cost into it if I can't get the car on the road.

Basically the Evaporative systems and the O2 Sensor Heater readiness are still saying Not Ready. That is it. I have done the supposed GM drive cycle a dozen times now, not to mention additional driving. I have put a couple thousand miles on the car since the last time the battery was disconnected simply trying to set my readiness monitors.

I've done the best I can testing the oxygen sensors but I'm sure you are aware of the limitations of just using a basic voltmeter on those. I thought about just replacing them but am afraid of wasting even more money that I don't really have to spare if that isn't the problem. If I get everything going I will replace them eventually anyways as there is 150k miles on the car anyways. The Cat was replaced a few years ago after it clogged reached its limit in the middle of a cross state trip and blew a hole in my intake. Not knowing any better at the time, i had an aftermarket Cat put into it. Not long after that, I had to modify the rear oxygen sensor because it was throwing the code caused by that. I found out a year later that if I had of went to a GM dealership, the Cat would have been replaced free as it apparently was still within the limits of an extended warranty. Anyways, could that modification keep the O2 sensor heater monitor from setting? the standard oxygen sensor monitor is setting fine.

In terms of the Evaporative system, I was curious the other day and for kicks and giggles didn't put my gas cap back on after refilling. I drove for two days and it never once threw a code. That seems to tell me that it isn't even checking the system. If that is the case, I can't seem to figure out if it is just because the correct conditions for testing aren't being met or if the computer is just shot.

There are a few other issues I am having for sure such as the dash and radio lights go out occasionally when the headlights come on. My best guess on that so far is I need to replace the headlight switch but again don't want to spend additional money until I know it is going to be back on the road again. For awhile the temperature gauge kept going out on me. I ended up replacing the temperature sensor which didn't solve it. Since then I've also had to replace a water pump that froze up and my high speed fan which went bad, likely from running too much. The gauge has only gone out twice since then, both times when it was raining really hard and I ended up hitting some deep water puddles, jolting the car. I'm thinking I may have a loose connection somewhere but don't even know where to begin on that. That last time, even the airbag light came on. The other thing is the AC clutch seems to have an issue not wanting to engage. I didn't even know this until the other day when I was analyzing everything the best I could. As part of the drive cycle requires having the AC on after a cold start, I thought perhaps that was keeping the diagnostics from running. The entire AC system checks out fine and I ended up determining that the computer itself just won't tell the clutch to engage. In a desperate fit yesterday I just unplugged the fuse from the computer. After putting it back in the AC was working fine until this morning and it wouldn't engage again. By the way, the system is fully charged. As of this afternoon, the clutch is engaging again.

More and more I'm leaning to my computer just being crap now but it is money I don't really have to waste on speculation which is why I was hoping to see what the inside of the computer is saying. Long story short. Smile I likely forgot something here or there just because this post is so long, hehe.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

check the ground above the headlight on the driver side

check for rust and corrosion.

these wires will cause all kinds of problems if it has a bad connection.

since it's connect to the BCM for sure

I'm not sure if it is connected to the ECM but it might be since it has 2 wires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: