NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Engine Stall
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Engine Stall

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.07

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:  Engine Stall Reply with quote

So I know a year ago I had a stall where I lost engine and power. That was fixed with the cleaning of the battery terminals and positive connector at the fuse box. But now I have another unique kind of stall.

While driving, the engine stalls and comes back to life again in a matter of 1/2 a second. Stalls like I lose the power steering and throttle I can be highway or city. Doesn't matter if I have NO power load or if I max the power load (radio, heated seats, fan on full, headlights, etc). When the engine DOES stall, I do NOT lose electrical power. If the radio is on, it stays on, lights do not flicker either, headlights are fine, display dashboard lights if on are fine. I'll get one of two messages on the DIC. Service Air Bag System or Service Traction Control System. No codes are thrown, and the car appears fine after it happens. Oh and the doors unlock and lock as if I'm going in Park and out of Park.

Here is when it happens. Normal, easy on the gas driving, not one problem. It's when I press down on he gas does it stall. But I have found only when it shifts into 2nd gear does the stall occur. So say I'm at a light, and I don't floor it but give it enough gas to get to get to 30MPH pretty quickly, or I'm pulling onto a highway from a stop sign. As soon as I feel the car hit 2nd gear, it stalls, comes back to life and keeps running as if nothing happens. Going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th it's fine. It can be an Automatic shift or if I shift myself. It happens if I keep the car in D or in 3.

Here is one other time it has happened. While I'm cruising highway speed, 55-80 I've had this happen, and hit a bump does it happen, like something is loose. Obviously I'm not in 2nd gear at 55-80. But I can't seem to replicate this scenario, it just happens.

Only change I made to the car is installing the CAI from Cold Air Inductors. 2 weeks prior to that, I had the belt changed. But no trouble was found in between the time the belt and the CAI.

Here is one theory I have. Since this happens when I open the throttle and I have a new CAI, am I pulling more air than gas mixture? The battery was disconnected while installing, so I would have thought the computer would have relearned anything different.

I've read around that other Impala owners had stalls so where they had to stop the car, get jumped, or restart the engine or get towed. But I don't feel as if I fall into those as I have not (knock on wood) ever had to stop the car to turn over the engine. I can't see this being a wiring or power issue as I'm not losing power when it occurs, only engine.

BTW, for argument sake, I have checked and cleaned the battery terminals and wires at the fuse box. And yes I have the recall taken care of, the little piece of plastic in my keyring.
Ill_Born_ss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.06

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

re-check the CAI as many have found out the hard way. Some had the positive cable/terminal on/ to the starter shorting on the case of the CAI and others have found chaffed wire/wires to their computers.
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ill_Born_ss, always great to see your postings. Smile

I'm going to be taking the CAI out tonight and check on things as suggested. Report back findings. Thanks.
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ill_Born_SS was right. The starter stud made contact with the box. The boot over the stud worn through right where it made contact with the box. Adjusted the box away from the started with one bolt in the box. Now have clear distance between the started and the box. But the box isn't not sitting exact.

Spoke with CAI. Very nice guys. They explained how the stud on the started may cause a problem on some of our cars, the Monte included. They found some year models the stud was longer than others. The stock car they designed the box with has a much shorter stud on the starter so they were not even aware until sometime later (this going back long ago). I also must have gotten old instructions because he sent me the proper instructions which has a caution, be careful of the starter stud.

They explained the only way to make sure you have 1/4 or more of space between the box and the stud is to cut the stud. I was thinking of shortening then maybe get a new boot or spray with silicone sealant to protect it from anything else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: