NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Pulley broke, wtf?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Pulley broke, wtf?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:  Pulley broke, wtf? Reply with quote

Well in addition to my abs and traction control issues I've been having and still haven't figured out, I discovered yet another issue. Looks like one of the idler pulleys completely broke and one of the belts has been running on the stem of the pulley and melting my belt, awesome. Think it's time for a new car.

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Idler pullies are like 20 bucks. Who ever changed your belt last should have inspected the idler pulley, and the pulley on the tensioner assembly. Those two items are the commonly overlooked when changing a belt. The abs and traction control issues are most likely a wheel hub or harness gone south. Really easy to replace. Send me the codes and I will tell you which hub assembly/harness you need to look at.

What year is the car, and how many miles? It also looks like the ac compressor has been bypassed?
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.23

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss brought up a good point there. You must have a different size belt or have it routed differently if you can run around all the pulleys except the a.c. compressor. What's the deal there?

dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

my car is a ss, so two belts. the problem was one of the idler pulleys was shot as u can see in the pic so bad that it ruined the supercharger belt as well. another idler pulley was on the way out so he replaced that as well. and no the ac condenser isn't bypassed u just can't see the main belt running to it from the angle that the pic is taken, and that belt kinda runs on the inside of that pulley anyway. don't scare me like that! i've had enough problems lately! lol Shocked
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Didn't mean to scare you Laughing now that I think about it, I realize it has to be an SS engine because the pulleys don't match configuration of the 3.4, not sure bout the 3.8 though I think they're the same. So what are your plans for the car: fix and sell or fix and keep?

dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Idk probably keep it just cuz it makes it so hard to let it go when u step down on gas. lol
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dan073eb wrote:
Idk probably keep it just cuz it makes it so hard to let it go when u step down on gas. lol

That's not fair, you're making me want an SS even more Crying or Very sad lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: