NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Coolant Elbows
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Coolant Elbows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber
Elite Contributor (Amount: 1) Elite Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject:  Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

My alternator tensioner started getting weak, so I replaced it with one I purchased from ZZP. When I purchased the tensioner, I also purchased the coolant elbows from ZZP. I went on a road trip, when I returned I noticed coolant leaking on the ground and the leak was coming from the elbows. I didn't think I would have to change the O rings these before installation, I thought it only applied to the Doorman elbows. Luckily no damage occurred from the lack of coolant. I upgraded to the Doorman aluminum elbows and yes I replaced the O rings before installation.
ZZP elbows after removal, notice how the O rings are compressed flat.

Here are the aluminum elbows that were installed and a picture of one that was installed. I couldn't get a clear picture the other one.

I also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses. Getting to the lower hose clamps wasn't easy, but I got it done and now all is as it should be.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:  Re: Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

Kissmyss wrote:
I also replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses. Getting to the lower hose clamps wasn't easy, but I got it done and now all is as it should be.

Roughly how long did it take you to replace the radiator hoses? I'm thinking about doing a cooling system flush and hose replacement on my car and would like to know how much time it took you and if there is a way to make removing the lower hose clamps any easier. TIA

richardgriese
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Pontiac Bonneville
2000 Pontiac Fiero
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 GMC Sierra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yep, they do that. Glad you got it all fixed. When I went to this post I though I was looking at my car (you avatar pic)
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject:  Re: Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

BaseLS wrote:
Kissmyss wrote:

Roughly how long did it take you to replace the radiator hoses? I'm thinking about doing a cooling system flush and hose replacement on my car and would like to know how much time it took you and if there is a way to make removing the lower hose clamps any easier. TIA
The upper clamp on the lower hose is in an area that gave me the most problems. Do to my size, I had to remove the battery and the supercharger idler pulley. Even then I had limited access to the clamp, it I had removed the coil pack it may went smoother, but I refused to do that. I couldn't see the clamp, so I had to go by feel only. The way the clamp was positioned also made it hard. I positioned it differently for future removals. I did the bottom clamp from the top, didn't want to jack up the car and remove the plastic splash guard. The clamp was positioned at the bottom, which meant I had to go feel. Looking back it would have been quicker to access it from the bottom. On installation I positioned the clamp to the side for easy removal. Once the clamp were removed the hoses came off pretty easy. I used needle nosed vise-grip pliers to hold the clamp open while I removed and re-installed the hoses.

richardgriese wrote:
Yep, they do that. Glad you got it all fixed. When I went to this post I though I was looking at my car (you avatar pic)
I get a lot of compliments on the color, most people don't believe it came this way from the factory.

05 SS Mods = CAI intake, Power wire upgrade, ZZP alternator Booster, Front & rear STB's, ZZP SS DP wcat, ZZP 180 t-stat, ZZP 3.5 tensioner pulley (both), ZZP S/S ceramic plog with ceramic crossover, Royal Purple 5/30, Goodyear Gatorbacks, 6000k hid head & fog lights, Overkill Pcm, Aeroforce triple gauge w/pillar pod, 35% window tint, Thrasher 3.4 s/c pulley, Autolite 104's, MCR 200 amp alternator, PRJ wires, Intense Shift kit, ZZP 1.9 modded rockers, ZZP stage 2 Tb, Extreme Dimensions rear bumper lip
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:  Re: Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

Kissmyss wrote:
I get a lot of compliments on the color, most people don't believe it came this way from the factory.

Is it the Lazer Blue? I like your SS a whole lot!

RichardG, is yours Lazer or Superior Blue?

Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks, it's laserblue.

richardgriese
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Pontiac Bonneville
2000 Pontiac Fiero
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 GMC Sierra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

hmm Sorry I didn't know there were multiple blues. I googled this

http://www.carsdirect.com/2005.....ala/colors

so I am a little out on which it is now. It is a dark blue/purple in some light so people tell me. I'm not the best with colors whats the paint code supposed to be
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

richardgriese wrote:
hmm Sorry I didn't know there were multiple blues. I googled this

http://www.carsdirect.com/2005.....ala/colors

so I am a little out on which it is now. It is a dark blue/purple in some light so people tell me. I'm not the best with colors whats the paint code supposed to be

Color Code: 21/WA218M
Laser Blue Metallic Clearcoat
You can check my garage to see pics and mods

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.75

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm pretty sure ZZP buys the Dorman Metal elbows and sells them under their house brand.... that would explain the problem.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:  Re: Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

Kissmyss wrote:
The upper clamp on the lower hose is in an area that gave me the most problems. Do to my size, I had to remove the battery and the supercharger idler pulley. Even then I had limited access to the clamp, it I had removed the coil pack it may went smoother, but I refused to do that. I couldn't see the clamp, so I had to go by feel only. The way the clamp was positioned also made it hard. I positioned it differently for future removals. I did the bottom clamp from the top, didn't want to jack up the car and remove the plastic splash guard. The clamp was positioned at the bottom, which meant I had to go feel. Looking back it would have been quicker to access it from the bottom. On installation I positioned the clamp to the side for easy removal. Once the clamp were removed the hoses came off pretty easy. I used needle nosed vise-grip pliers to hold the clamp open while I removed and re-installed the hoses.

Thanks Kissmyss. I tend to do the same thing when I come across a clamp that is difficult to access. Luckily, for me at least, i don't have to worry about a supercharger idler pulley or the coil pack getting in the way Laughing Though, jacking my car up isn't fun to do since I lowered my car, my "low-pro" just barely clears in a a few angles. Can't have a good without a bad I guess Sad

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:  Re: Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

BaseLS wrote:
Though, jacking my car up isn't fun to do since I lowered my car, my "low-pro" just barely clears in a a few angles. Can't have a good without a bad I guess Sad

You can do what I did to get extra clearance. I went the Home Depot and got a few 3 foot sections of a 2x12 and I drove the front tires onto them before I started jacking. That extra inch and a half or so from the 2x4 ramp made it much easier to jack it up.

Dan wrote:

d
Kissmyss
Uber
Uber

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Dodge Durango

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
FWIW, I'm pretty sure ZZP buys the Dorman Metal elbows and sells them under their house brand.... that would explain the problem.
I brought the plastic ones from ZZP, the aluminum are Doorman purchased from autozone. I just replaced the o rings on the aluminum elbows and installed them.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.06

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:

I've heard around the forums here before that ZZPs quality hasn't been the best anyways.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator

1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Kissmyss wrote:
IffyG wrote:
I brought the plastic ones from ZZP, the aluminum are Doorman purchased from autozone. I just replaced the o rings on the aluminum elbows and installed them.

Reading comprehension has never been my strong suit. Laughing

Dan wrote:

d
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:  Re: Coolant Elbows Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
You can do what I did to get extra clearance. I went the Home Depot and got a few 3 foot sections of a 2x12 and I drove the front tires onto them before I started jacking. That extra inch and a half or so from the 2x4 ramp made it much easier to jack it up.

Yea, I guess I should start doing that Laughing I've told myself I'd do that the next time I have to work under my car but that is a rare event so when the time does come again I forget Embarassed Thanks for the tip Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: