NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - coolant leak and weird engine noise
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

coolant leak and weird engine noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiltrotor22
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.13

2008 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:  coolant leak and weird engine noise Reply with quote

Ok everyone i need your help. Im working with a 2003 impala 3.8.
I have a coolant leak at what appears to be the heater core line fitting on the engine side where it connects to the water pump. It started leaking when i replaced the power steering pump. Anyone know where i can get the fitting? I can push and pull on the hose and its not seated tight in the hole. It also has a metal tab with a bolt holding it in place but once fully tightened it doesnt push it all the way in. Correction, the leak is coming from the two big hoses at the rear of the engine where they connect to the tensioner assembly. The hoses are held on with clamps to fitting that go into the tensioner. I really need the name of these.

next problem is a weird noise from the engine. Sounded like the power steering pump and the pump has always made nouse. I replaced the pump but the noise continues. I also replaced the tensioner pully. The belt is new and it only makes the noise when you turn the steering wheel. It for sure sounds like its coming from the power steering puml/alternator/tensioner area but only sounds like crap when the wheel is turned. Also has a weird vibration coming from the engine while driving. It sounds like a truck. Anyone have an idea of what it can be?

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I think you are talking about the tensioner assembly. There are coolant elbows that commonly break and are close to the water pump. On the top of the tensioner assembly, the metal parts are held in by an oring with the metal retainer. When an oring is changed, make sure that it is lubed up with some Vaseline or some syliglide. Sounds like the oring is not sliding in all the way, or is binding.

The power steering noise...sometimes the pump takes a while to bleed all the air out. That may be what the problem is, I want to say that my power steering pump whines as well.

Maybe there is an exhaust leak. The resonator usually rots out. If there is an exhaust leak you should be able to feel the leak...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: