NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Fog Lights on a Base model?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Fog Lights on a Base model?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.23

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Question Fog Lights on a Base model? Reply with quote

Hey guys. I've been thinking about this for a while now but haven't really done much, well doing, about it... The mornings and evenings are starting to get foggy out where i live and i'd like to put fog lights from an Ls onto my base 02. i know i would have to swap the front bumper from an Ls to have the mounting holes and the openings for them, but would it be as easy as installing the fog light switch on the dash panel and wiring in the lights? or is there something else that would have to be done?
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

This is just my opinion. It would be a lot cheaper for you to get a set of aftermarket lights. I see quite a few base models with them.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know with my fog lights the really dont help much. i also hate the asshats that drive around with hid fog lights on just because they have them. especially in lifted trucks, almost want to steer my car right into their path Twisted Evil but on a side note i do tend to brake check people if they ride too close behind me or with their high beams on. another asshat when i passed him not even 10 feet infront of him he turns his highs on. well...... you see i hit my brakes so hard and i have abs by time he hit his brakes all i heard was his tires locking up. i couldnt help it i just started laughing so hard kind of felt bad but i was laughing to hard to care Rolling Eyes

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.97

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:
This is just my opinion. It would be a lot cheaper for you to get a set of aftermarket lights. I see quite a few base models with them.

IMHO I think aftermarket fogs on the base look cheap and chinsy as hell. That's the reason I never bought them for my car. An LS bumper with fogs look a lot cleaner and have the factory look.

I agree with you Irish. People don't seem too know what the hell a passing lane is.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:

PushrodPower wrote:
IMHO I think aftermarket fogs on the base look cheap and chinsy as hell. That's the reason I never bought them for my car. An LS bumper with fogs look a lot cleaner and have the factory look

Thanks for your thoughts on this, guys. I share sides with PushrodPower on this one. I'd like to go for the factory look because I like how they look. As for the cost of this whole deal, well I can go to a junkyard and pull the parts for cheap. I've obtained some parts for my car and they're in like new condition still. I've done all my own installs and mods so labor isn't a problem
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

you would have to wire them to a switch / relay. Installing them to run off the factory system is not a simple job. Requires a new harness, headlight switch, BCM and a trip to the dealer.

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well i have seen aftermarket harnesses that don't require connections to the BCM but are instead wired to a DEI 611T latch relay while using the factory switch. I now have the fog and headlight switch, relay, and am studying the diagrams for factory and aftermarket fog wiring so i know which wires go where. Seems simple enough, for now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-t.....mp;vxp=mtr
this is one of the harness I've seen

any thoughts on if the harness and the DEI 611T combo will fucntion would be appreciated and help move my progress

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I was hoping one of the 9C1 guys would chime in on this.
I may be wrong on this, but I think if you got a surveillance switch from a cop car, and used this harness, you wouldn't need the DEI 611T

BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Interesting. Getting a surveillance switch wouldn't be hard, but if someone with a 9C1 can verify your theory, I would be more inclined to do it that way instead. Hope on of them sees this thread and gives their input on the idea

bigdog60 wrote:
I was hoping one of the 9C1 guys would chime in on this.
I may be wrong on this, but I think if you got a surveillance switch from a cop car, and used this harness, you wouldn't need the DEI 611T

What exactly makes the surveillance switch different form the fog light switch?

Frank
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IIRC, when the idea of using a surv mode switch was passed around years ago, people found out that the wires on the BCM of the surv mode vs. foglight switch are not the same, plus the BCM may be looking for a latched vs. unlatched input as well.

The surv mode switch is a two-position switch (stays in), vs. the foglight switch being a momentary switch. Using a latching relay like the 611T would be the easiest way to do it with a factory switch vs. using a factory switch and reprogramming a new BCM.

BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
The surv mode switch is a two-position switch (stays in), vs. the foglight switch being a momentary switch. Using a latching relay like the 611T would be the easiest way to do it with a factory switch vs. using a factory switch and reprogramming a new BCM.

Thanks for the informative reply, Frank. Like bigdog60 mentioned, would it be possible to wire in the surv switch instead of the fog light switch to control the fogs? That would eliminate the 611T from the situation because like you said, surv switches stay in one of their two positions, therefore acting as the latch itself. I have in mind simplifying the wiring by making the switch an on/off controller by closing and opening the power side of the fog light circuit.

I know that it would be the same as installing a simple toggle switch, but i want it to look stock

bigdog60
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

That was my point of using this switch (but wasn't sure if thats how it worked)
And Frank, he will not need the BCM with this harness setup.

BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:
That was my point of using this switch (but wasn't sure if thats how it worked)

Using the surv switch to make a point, or do you have one in your set up?

Frank
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's one of those things where you would have to see what wiring is there in your car unless BBE or someone else has poked around and figured everything out in the past - I didn't look at the other thread(s) that were linked from this one.

For example, as the BCM is not programmed for the foglights so the momentary switch probably would not directly work, you would have to find the output from the BCM that powers the foglight relay and tap into that with the (constant) input that it is looking for. This also assumes that the wires are all there, the relay is there, and the harnesses are wired all the way to where they plug into the foglights themselves and there are no disconnected wires anywhere. It's ideally not an overly complicated project if everything is there, but once again, I haven't researched it myself and I just remember reading a discussion or two about it several years ago.

BaseLS
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Chevrolet Blazer
2004 Chevrolet Impala
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks again, Frank. always making me think Laughing I began drawing up my own wiring diagrams to see if I should follow through with factory switch or simply use a toggle switch. I'll post them when I have time and finish the other so people can see what I have in mind.

Also, since I'm making my own harness, anyone know what gauge the wires are? I'm thinking 14-16?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: