NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 05 Base Rebuild (04 now too)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

05 Base Rebuild (04 now too)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.92

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:  05 Base Rebuild (04 now too) Reply with quote

I'm going to be rebuilding the 05 base to be as good as a 10 year old car can be. I want you guys' opinions and recommendations b/c I want to do it right just one time. Part numbers would be great. No current budget, so I'll be buying top of the line parts. (I've got a 6 month time frame before it's back on the road)

Suspension:
- I will be replacing the front and rear end links and I was told I should consider replacing the ball joints. Do I need all 4 ends? or just 2?
- what are some other failure parts on these cars that I should just go ahead and replace while we're down there? (suspension wise) (bushings, etc?)
- We will be replacing the struts and strut top plates. Where are some wear points I should look at replacing while doing this?
- Cracked ISS will be replaced. What else should I consider replacing while in that area?

Electrical:
- Air bag light comes on at random times. I've been reading it could just be a weak connection at the male/female connector under the passenger seat. anyone had direct experience with this? Is it something I can just clean, or will I need to replace the module?
- window control modules will be replaced. Any weak points I should look for while the door covers are off?

I've also got a few random parts I'm looking for part numbers.
Do we still have that 00-05 Impala parts diagram PDF on this site?

Last edited by Grape on Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Replacing the ball joints by themselves on our cars is a pain in the ass because they are riveted in and need to be drilled out. I ruined a set of control arms by drilling them. I had invested over $100 to buy the control arm bushing replacement sent from Kent Moore, not including the cost of bushings themselves.

To make a long story short, you are better off buying a new pair of control arms to replace all the bushings and the ball joints in them. I haven't shopped around, but I believe Wbodystore had a decent set with bolted in ball joints just in case you ever want to replace them again in the future.

Front end links are cheap. Rears are $30+ each. I went with Moog when I did mine years ago because the rears are greaseable and much sturdier than the fronts. There is one end link on each corner of the car. There are two rubber bushings that are hold each of the sway bars to the car...if they are overly deformed or falling apart I would replace them.

As far as struts: mounts, the struts themselves, and the impact bushing which is part of the boot if it is worn out. I went with KYB boots when I did mine years ago but they were worse off than the factory bushings when I replaced them again three or four years later. I got a different aftermarket brand at Advance that zip-ties onto the top of the strut body and they seem to be holding up, but honestly I haven't looked at them in the last five years since I don't want to sink money into the car. Wink

SRS light: get the car scanned. The connector at the airbag control module (I forget the technical term for it) has a gasket on it and a bolt so it is sealed like the connectors on the PCM. When I was having issues with my airbag light I scanned it, figured out what circuit it was, took the passenger seat out, unplugged the connector, and traced the circuit all the way to the front of the car. It turns out that the harness on the front impact sensor had weakened over the course of 13 years and developed a break inside the harness that was too close to the plug to repair so I had to replace the plug on the sensor. It was only about $15 for the replacement plug with about a foot of wire on it.

That's all I can comment on from my personal experiences. Hopefully someone else can help you out in the others. Good luck!

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:31 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would use as many 9C1/9C3 parts as possible. Better ride, & in many cases, the factory 9C1/9C3 parts are cheaper than the regular parts. GARY

Five0two
Guru
Guru

Posts per day: 1.09

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

All that help you were giving me, now you caught the bug, huh? Laughing

Good luck on it, Grape. Can't wait to see the end product Very Happy

Master Level
Master Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Five0two wrote:
now you caught the bug, huh? Laughing

My brother gave the 05 back to me after he purchased a 04 LS...
So I'm rebuilding the Imp to be a daily driver so I can save the mileage on the truck.
This will be expensive and put a dent in the gun purchases but I think it will be worth it when I'm finished.

Thanks for the support to those who've answered.

Frank you just sealed it for me on the control arm package... Big Thumbs Up
Thank you sir!

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Grape wrote:
Five0two wrote:
now you caught the bug, huh? Laughing

My brother gave the 05 back to me after he purchased a 04 LS...
So I'm rebuilding the Imp to be a daily driver so I can save the mileage on the truck.
This will be expensive and put a dent in the gun purchases but I think it will be worth it when I'm finished.

Thanks for the support to those who've answered.

Frank you just sealed it for me on the control arm package... Big Thumbs Up
Thank you sir!

I'm almost in the opposite boat. I just spent $120.00 on a bolt body for my rifle that's going to eat into my radiator fund. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
ScottMPala
Member Level
Member Level
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.5

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject:  Re: 05 Base Rebuild Reply with quote

Grape wrote:
I'm going to be rebuilding the 05 base to be as good as a 10 year old car can be. I want you guys' opinions and recommendations b/c I want to do it right just one time. Part numbers would be great. No current budget, so I'll be buying top of the line parts. (I've got a 6 month time frame before it's back on the road)

Suspension:
- I will be replacing the front and rear end links and I was told I should consider replacing the ball joints. Do I need all 4 ends? or just 2?
- what are some other failure parts on these cars that I should just go ahead and replace while we're down there? (suspension wise) (bushings, etc?)
- We will be replacing the struts and strut top plates. Where are some wear points I should look at replacing while doing this?
- Cracked ISS will be replaced. What else should I consider replacing while in that area?

Electrical:
- Air bag light comes on at random times. I've been reading it could just be a weak connection at the male/female connector under the passenger seat. anyone had direct experience with this? Is it something I can just clean, or will I need to replace the module?
- window control modules will be replaced. Any weak points I should look for while the door covers are off?

I've also got a few random parts I'm looking for part numbers.
Do we still have that 00-05 Impala parts diagram PDF on this site?

When doing those struts consider using a complete strut assembly. I know a lot of members despise monroe but I am running quick struts on both impalas and my grand prix and they all seem great. Lifetime warranty and include every part new. install some specialty products co camber bolts with your new struts.

consider the lower motor mount while the rf wheel is off. anchor makes a solid motor mount to replace the stock hydraulic mount that often leaks.

control arms would be great, no so much for the ball joints but for the bushings.

Check the tie rod ends for looseness. not hard to change but may as well do it before the alignment if they are getting worn.

if you are replacing sway bar links also replace the sway bar bushings with poly units. you could also do a gmpp sway bar at this time if you don't already have one. big improvement.

check your window regulators while the doors are off. check the cables for slippage or breakage. check the wheels for loosness or chipping. replace both regulators with the same brand. I have two different ones in my grand prix and it drives me nuts that they move at different speeds.

That's all i can think of

Master Level
Master Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:  Re: 05 Base Rebuild Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
When doing those struts consider using a complete strut assembly.
This is a good point. Thank you for that. I was debating between piecing it, but I think I'm sold on idea of the simplicity of a drop in...
Quote:
consider the lower motor mount while the rf wheel is off.

Will do. I've replaced it once while we rebuilt the trans, I'll look at it again though.
Quote:
control arms would be great

Already ordered. Will install in the spring. Razz
Quote:
Check the tie rod ends for looseness.

these are solid, Checked last weekend.
Quote:
if you are replacing sway bar links also replace the sway bar bushings,do a gmpp sway bar
Ordered and will do in spring.

I appreciate your 2 Cents
Thanks Cool

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.6

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject:  Re: 05 Base Rebuild Reply with quote

ScottMPala wrote:
When doing those struts consider using a complete strut assembly. I know a lot of members despise monroe but I am running quick struts on both impalas and my grand prix and they all seem great. Lifetime warranty and include every part new. install some specialty products co camber bolts with your new struts.

Nothing wrong with the Monroe's, just most here are looking for an upgrade over OEM

Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The correct term for the airbag connector is a squib.
richardgriese
Cadet
Cadet

Posts per day: 0.05

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2000 Pontiac Bonneville
2000 Pontiac Fiero
2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
1980 GMC Sierra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hey Grape looks like you like those Impalas man - 3 listed in your garage. Of course every time I call the insurance they tell me I must like Pontiac.

Ever get it done? Get all the wiring diagrams you need?
Grape
Master Level
Master Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

richardgriese wrote:
Hey Grape looks like you like those Impalas man - 3 listed in your garage.

The black 07 LT was totaled. The payout was what we bought the 04LS with..
I've also got a 72' Cheyenne, C4 Vette and 2 blacked out 02-09 Trailblazers

I guess you can say I'm a Chevy whore. Embarassed

As for repairs..
We've replaced the steering gear, ISS and the airbag sensor.

Next on the list is the suspension.. I've found a bad Driver's side wheel hub, a loose crossbrace in the engine compartment and some squeaky-ness in the strut mount plates... So those will be replaced when I install the GMP handling kit and new brakes in 2 months.

My money right now is going to the wifey's AR... Twisted Evil

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Grape wrote:
richardgriese wrote:
Hey Grape looks like you like those Impalas man - 3 listed in your garage.

The black 07 LT was totaled. The payout was what we bought the 04LS with..
I've also got a 72' Cheyenne, C4 Vette and 2 blacked out 02-09 Trailblazers

I guess you can say I'm a Chevy whore. Embarassed

As for repairs..
We've replaced the steering gear, ISS and the airbag sensor.

Next on the list is the suspension.. I've found a bad Driver's side wheel hub, a loose crossbrace in the engine compartment and some squeaky-ness in the strut mount plates... So those will be replaced when I install the GMP handling kit and new brakes in 2 months.

My money right now is going to the wifey's AR... Twisted Evil

For a couple of years now I've been heavily considering the GMPP sway bars.

I wish I could afford an AR. Sad

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Grape
Master Level
Master Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
I wish I could afford an AR. Sad

They were on sale this past month for about $600...
My dumba$$ keeps spending it all on other crap.. Confused

Last edited by Grape on Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Grape
Master Level
Master Level

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Update:
Looks like we found some things on the 04LS... so we'll be rebuilding it as well Twisted Evil

Here's what we found and fixed on the Blue 05 Base:
-Faulty airbag sensor in front bumper (replaced)
-Foggy headlight housings (replaced) (added Silverstar Ultra Hi's & Lo's)
-cracked ISS (replaced)
-faulty steering pump (replaced)
-frayed fuel pigtail wiring (replaced)
-faulty fuel pump (replaced) (& replaced fuel filter)
-faulty thermostat (replaced) (coolant flush & fill)
-faulty driver's side window module (replaced)
-some play in the bearing & ball joint driver's side (replaced control arm)
-installed front & rear STBs w/ DonRome brackets
-new front & rear brake pads
-adding full size spare in trunk, along with emergency roadside kit
-adding 72hr. BOB & full FirstAid kit

Here's the plan (already in the works) for the White 04 LS:
-Foggy headlight housings (replaced) (added Silverstar Ultra Hi's & Lo's)
-faulty thermostat (replaced) (coolant flush & fill)
-bent pass. side front strut bumper/seat (replaced)
-Trans (pan drop/filter replace) (Dexron VI added)
-faulty pads & rotors (ordered F-body kit front w/ new rotor, SS lines, new rear rotors, 4 new pads)
-installed front & rear STBs w/ DonRome brackets
-GMPP handling kit (installed)
-SLP grille (ordered)
-Black paint job coming next year, after all installs complete
-Tinting windows after paint job
-Installing CF trim to replace faux wood grain after paint job
-Blue LEDs all through interior (cluster, HUmount, HVAC, window controls, under seat, under dash)
-adding full size spare in trunk, along with emergency roadside kit
-adding 72hr. BOB & full FirstAid kit

Last edited by Grape on Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 am; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: