NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - How to paint wood furniture?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How to paint wood furniture?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gg05impala
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject:  How to paint wood furniture? Reply with quote

I have two old dressers my fiance wants painted when we redo our room. We are painting the walls a light gray color and she wants the dressers black or white. She is leaning more towards black but wont know until the room is painted. Basically, does anyone have experience painting wood furniture. I have a HVLP sprayer and have painted several things before but all have been metal. Never experienced painting wood before other than using normal spray paint in a rattle can. I plan on sanding it down and then painting. The question is what time type of paint to use? Oil based? Latex? Water based? Laquer? Lead based (just kidding)...

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.57

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

for durability, most use oil based.

Same procedure for painting anything, sand, prime, paint

Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.48

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1986 Nissan 300ZX

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ok thanks

Audio: Kicker 1000.1zx, Kicker 12" L5 x2, Kicker 350.4, Pioneer TSD1602R x2, JVC xg-700, custom tuned box 33.8hz
Performance - lead foot in my 3.4L is all I have
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I've been tinkering with restoring old furniture & did something close to you. I had an old 1940 4 drawer dresser that was kind of cool looking but had layers of ugly paint/stain on it. I actually had this when I was a kid & built model cars, the top was covered in Testors paint & glue Very Happy

I took it all apart, sanded for DAYS it seemed & it looked good. I "think" it was some kind of light oak maybe, but I wanted to stain it in a light oak color to match the oak floor. There were ribs on some of the trim & I couldnt get all the old paint/stains out without changing the shape of it so I just ruffed up those areas. I used some Rust-oleum enamel (the brush on stuff in a can, oil based). I primed it with the Rust-o, then painted it with the almond color & it looks great. Trial & error, but you MUST use the primer or the wood just soaks up the paint. Its actually called "clean metal primer" but it does the job on wood. Also, buy brushes just for this & throw them away-forget about cleaning them. Add some more modern hardware & it looks like its worth a lot more $$ that it might be. Its been maybe a year now & there are no scuff marks on it & its glossy smooth looking.

The Rust-oleum enamels are tintable (you only need black or white so thats not a problem-you can get them off the shelf). Bonus, they are self leveling so you wont have brush marks in it. All your big box stores have it. Its cheap, give it a try! I used the same stuff on two outside doors to the garage (steel this time) & they are holding up perfectly.

(edit) Nice 86 300ZX! I had an 85 300Z turbo & it was a riot. I was young & dumb but remember I had to lift at 140 on the highway because I couldn't steer any more Embarassed Still have dreams about that darn car!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: