NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - valve cover and intake gasket set replace
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

valve cover and intake gasket set replace

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biglion

Posts per day: 0.02

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject:  valve cover and intake gasket set replace Reply with quote

im bout to do gasket replace and valve cover gasket i got some minor small leaks so im tryin to get help or info or what partical parts are best to buy and also i want to do a motor flush and will that harm any other parts ,
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Upper and lower intake manifold gasket sets and a valve cover gasket set. I would go with either Felpro or GM gaskets from a dealer.

I wouldn't use any additives or anything like that to flush the engine or coolant. As part of the gasket change procedure, you should drain all the coolant from the radiator and then pull the front knock sensor to drain the coolant out of the engine block in order to prevent the coolant and oil from mixing when you pull the manifold.

After you get all the gaskets changed and everything back together, just fill the cooling system with water, run it until it's hot, check for leaks, let it cool, drain it, then refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. After you make sure the coolant is squared away and the engine is cool again I would go ahead and change the oil.

While you are doing the coolant you might as well replace the thermostat and gasket and check the water pump. You will need new GM coolant elbows (not aftermarket as the o-rings on the aftermarket elbows leak), and other than that are write-ups on here on how to change the intake manifold gaskets. I would allow two days if you haven't done it before.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

By motor flush do you mean flushing the oil? If so I once had a 318 Dodge Diplomat that after an oil change the oil was filthy after 5 minutes. The engine was fine, just sludged up. I purchased a can of Siloo oil flush, put it in the engine, & let the engine idle for 45 minutes. Drained the oil, & changed the filter. Let the motor idle another half hour, then drained the oil, & changed the filter again. After that the engine was spotless, & the oil stayed clean for 2000 miles. That Siloo worked like magic. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.63

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you are doing a 3.8 liter engine make sure your UIM is in good shape before you get started. I had to get a new one when I was in the middle changing the gaskets because the plastic had rotted out near the EGR stack (common problem).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
biglion

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Upper and lower intake manifold gasket sets and a valve cover gasket set. I would go with either Felpro or GM gaskets from a dealer.

I wouldn't use any additives or anything like that to flush the engine or coolant. As part of the gasket change procedure, you should drain all the coolant from the radiator and then pull the front knock sensor to drain the coolant out of the engine block in order to prevent the coolant and oil from mixing when you pull the manifold.

After you get all the gaskets changed and everything back together, just fill the cooling system with water, run it until it's hot, check for leaks, let it cool, drain it, then refill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. After you make sure the coolant is squared away and the engine is cool again I would go ahead and change the oil.

While you are doing the coolant you might as well replace the thermostat and gasket and check the water pump. You will need new GM coolant elbows (not aftermarket as the o-rings on the aftermarket elbows leak), and other than that are write-ups on here on how to change the intake manifold gaskets. I would allow two days if you haven't done it before.

ok im going with this kit here is the number to kit off ebay 251312214766 and only thing left to get would be valve cover gaskets and u said dont use any flush motor flush only reason i wanted to use motor flush cause i had some sludge build up and wanted to get it all out also i notice u said front knock sensor im not sure bout that but it will look it up and on the 50/50 i know gm use dexcool but i hear alot peple take bout dexcool and say green coolant is better but just let me know your input on that and distilled water so i cant use water regular water and yea i was gone change thermostat i notice coolant around it but thermostat and water pump should be great i had it changed bout couple years ago but let me kno on the gm coolant elbows which ones cause i know i changed mines couple times and i notice they got some new aluminum ones out i hear they suppose to be better but thanks for all you info and help and appreciate you opinion and advice on this info just let me know thanks
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

While other companies do make aluminum elbows, they use the wrong o-rings, so you will have a coolant leak. The solution is real GM o-rings with those aluminum elbows. Me, I used the GM plastic elbows, & I too had to change the plastic manifold. We sold those by the pallet load. At least 5 cars a day in our shop. GARY

biglion

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
While other companies do make aluminum elbows, they use the wrong o-rings, so you will have a coolant leak. The solution is real GM o-rings with those aluminum elbows. Me, I used the GM plastic elbows, & I too had to change the plastic manifold. We sold those by the pallet load. At least 5 cars a day in our shop. GARY

yea some new company made some alumnums elbows for 3.8 first i seen this was this year or last year and i didint have to change my plastic manifold but i will when i do my gaskets and intake valve gaskets
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.78

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Tap water has impurities and minerals in it...some water is worse than others. I have pretty good water but I still used distilled when I refilled my system. Using tap water for flushing is okay unless you have really bad water - in which case you would probably want to use distilled for everything.

I mentioned the front knock sensor as you are supposed to pull it in order to drain the coolant out of the engine...otherwise you are just getting the coolant out of the radiator and that's it.

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.58

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nothing wrong with Dexcool, people blame it for causing the gaskets to fail but its the bad design of the gasket / manifold that is causing the issue.

People think its the Dexcool itself that gums up and turns to sludge. Only when gaskets fail and oil is introduced, problems start

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
Tap water has impurities and minerals in it...some water is worse than others. I have pretty good water but I still used distilled when I refilled my system. Using tap water for flushing is okay unless you have really bad water - in which case you would probably want to use distilled for everything.

I mentioned the front knock sensor as you are supposed to pull it in order to drain the coolant out of the engine...otherwise you are just getting the coolant out of the radiator and that's it.

ok thank i find that knock sensor and remove it
biglion

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

so i notice on some post some said some bout lifters been replaced when doin gaskets so is that true
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: