NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - transmission change or flush
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

transmission change or flush
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biglion

Posts per day: 0.03

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:08 pm    Post subject:  transmission change or flush Reply with quote

just curious to when it best to change transmission fluid or flush it
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

With these cars, never flush the transmission. You stand to great a chance to have issues after that. Simply change the fluid.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets — SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster — SOLD
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

on another hand some transmissions are meant to never be opened and you only flush the transmissions. a lot of people say dont flush cause it loosens debris and will cause failure. well if this was the case cars like i mentioned above would burn up each time they get theirs flushed. i personally havnt just cause of this ideal, but if i had the money or another trans i would do it just to make a point.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I would say every 50k or so. I have no idea what GM's actual recommendation is.

biglion

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

overlordspock wrote:
With these cars, never flush the transmission. You stand to great a chance to have issues after that. Simply change the fluid.
\\

ok cool mine has 169000 miles i have no shfiting issues only thing is my OD gear hasnt kicked in long time but its been well these last 3 years so i may go ahead and get changed
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

There was a post on here that summed it up the best. Basically, drain and refill. Change the filter.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.59

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

A "sealed" transmission really isnt sealed. The transmission service is the same as a non sealed tranny. Drop the pan, replace filter and gasket and refill. The sealed part is usually just the dipstick and a special tool is needed to refill.

Transmission flushes are ONLY recommended by the shops that bought the equipment, not by the manufacturers of the car.

Has a "sealed" transmission

Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My wife's car has a "sealed" transmission...no dipstick. The fill hole is a plug on the side of the transmission. In order to check the fluid level you are supposed to pull the plug out with the engine running and make sure the fluid level is to the bottom of the threads. If the engine isn't running then the fluid level will be too high to check and will flow out of the hole.

It's kind of silly to see transmissions go to the "technology" used for lawnmower engine oil, but I guess it does prevent overfilling.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

maybe flush is a bad term. they do have fluid exchange machines that will use the transmissions pump to flush the system. and they have flushing machine which run off the machine and put detergents to break the old fluid down and flush it out at a higher pressure. but the proper way to do these is to drop the pan put a new filter in then flush or exchange. most times its an operator error and if you can screw up an oil change you can screw up a flush.

and on top of all of that, never get a trans thats acting up a full flush. just a waist of money. i have saved one trans in my moms e150. it was slipping i dropped the pan change filter and put it back together added fluid and lucas. 10 years later its still going strong

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
maybe flush is a bad term. they do have fluid exchange machines that will use the transmissions pump to flush the system.

Using anything but the drain plug and gravity is the kiss of death for a 4T65E transmission.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
Irish_alley wrote:
maybe flush is a bad term. they do have fluid exchange machines that will use the transmissions pump to flush the system.

Using anything but the drain plug and gravity is the kiss of death for a 4T65E transmission.

My transmission doesn't even have a drain plug...maybe that's why it's acting screwy. Wink

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Good catch. Laughing I amend my statement to anything but gravity and a pain drop.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Years ago I had a Dodge Diplomat that had a factory external trans cooler. It was easy to disconnect the cooler & add a hose to collect the old ATF. I started the engine, & old fluid came out as I poured in new ATF. Soon as I was almost out of new fluid the fluid coming out was clean, so basically in 20 seconds all the old ATF was gone, & all the new ATF was in the trans. Is this considered a flush?
Fast forward to last year, my friend dropped the pan, & changed the filter, & fluid. Then a month later, while I was having my LIM gasket changed at the Chevy dealer my friend flushed the trans with their machine. I told him of my mistrust with flushing, but he assured me it would be fine, as he was not going to add the detergent they would normally use in the flush. 18 months later, & all is well, & the ATF still looks, & smells fine. Of course, we all can have different results, but my experience has been positive. GARY

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
Years ago I had a Dodge Diplomat that had a factory external trans cooler. It was easy to disconnect the cooler & add a hose to collect the old ATF. I started the engine, & old fluid came out as I poured in new ATF. Soon as I was almost out of new fluid the fluid coming out was clean, so basically in 20 seconds all the old ATF was gone, & all the new ATF was in the trans. Is this considered a flush?

no this is like the fluid exchange machine i was talking about. your not adding any pressure to the system, you are letting it run its normal life just getting most the fluid out while replacing it with new. but you should change the filter first no matter if you just exchange or flush.
AND GM TSB

Bulletin No.: 04-06-01-029E
Date: April 29, 2010
Subject: Unnecessary Flushing Services, Additive Recommendations and Proper Utilization of GM Simplified Maintenance Schedule to Enhance
Customer Service Experience
Models: 2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2005-2009 Saab 9-7X Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years and add information about the proper transmission flush procedure. Please discard Corporate
Bulletin Number 04-06-01-029D (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System). An Overview of Proper Vehicle Service General Motors is aware that some companies are marketing tools and equipment to support a subsystem flushing procedures. These dedicated machines are in addition to many engine oil, cooling system, fuel system, A/C, transmission flush and steering system additives available to the consumer.

GM Vehicles under normal usage do not require any additional procedures or additives beyond what is advised under the former Vehicle Maintenance
Schedules or the current Simplified Maintenance Schedules. Do not confuse machines available from Kent-Moore/SPX that are designed to aid and
accelerate the process of fluid changing with these flushing machines. Engine Crankcase Flushing General Motors Corporation does not endorse or recommend engine crankcase flushing for any of its gasoline engines. Analysis of some of the aftermarket materials used for crankcase flushing indicate incompatibility with GM engine components and the potential for damage to some engine seals and bearings. Damage to engine components resulting from crankcase flushing IS NOT COVERED under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.

GM Authorized Service Information: Detailed, Descriptive, and Complete If a specific model vehicle or powertrain need is identified, GM will issue an Authorized Service Document containing a procedure and, if required,
provide, make available, or require the specific use of a machine, tool or chemical to accomplish proper vehicle servicing. An example of this is fuel
injector cleaning. Due to variation in fuel quality in different areas of the country, GM has recognized the need for fuel injector cleaning methods on
some engines, though under normal circumstances, this service is not part of the maintenance requirements. GM has published several gasoline fuel injector cleaning bulletins that fully outline the methods to be used in conjunction with GM Part Numbered solutions to accomplish proper and safe cleaning of the fuel injectors with preventative maintenance suggestions to maintain optimum performance. You may refer to Corporate Bulletin Numbers 03-06-04-030 and 04-06-04-051 for additional information on this subject.

Subsystem Flushing Flushing of A/C lines, radiators, transmission coolers, and power steering systems are recognized practices to be performed after catastrophic failures or extreme corrosion when encountered in radiators. For acceptable A/C flushing concerns, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 01-01-38-006. This practice is NOT required or recommended for normal service operations. The use of external transmission fluid exchange or flush machines is NOT recommended for the automatic or manual transmission. Use of external machines to replace the fluid may affect the operation or durability of the transmission. Transmission fluid should only be replaced by draining and
refilling following directions in SI. Refer to Automatic/Manual Transmission Fluid and Filter Replacement. Approved Transmission Flushing Tool (Transmission Cooler Only) The Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flush and Flow Test Tool is recommended for GM vehicles.
Refer to Transmission Fluid Cooler Flushing and Flow Test in SI using the J 45096. Service Is Important to You and Your Customer General Motors takes great pride in offering our dealerships and customers high quality vehicles that require extremely low maintenance over the life of
the vehicle. This low cost of ownership builds repeat sales and offers our customers measurable economy of operation against competing vehicles.

The kent more tool is used after a trans goes bad and it is removed. you use it to flush the trans lines so they are safe for the new trans

But imo the fluid exchange machine is just like if you have a fluid leak and you didnt know it but if your trans pumps out 1 qt of fluid the machine will pump 1qt back.

#04-07-30-037D: Release of DEXRON-VI Automatic
Transmission Fluid (ATF) - (Nov 21, 2007)
This bulletin is being revised to update model/model year information. Please discard
Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-037C (Section 07 -- Transmission/Transaxle).
MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS / TRANSFER CASES and POWER
STEERING
The content of this bulletin does not apply to manual transmissions or transfer cases. Any
vehicle that previously required DEXRONŽ-III for a manual transmission or transfer case
should now use P/N 88861800. This fluid is labeled Manual Transmission and Transfer Case
Fluid. Power Steering Systems should now use P/N 9985010 labeled Power Steering Fluid.
Consult the Owner's Manual or Service Information (SI) for fluid recommendations.
Some of our customers and/or General Motors dealerships/Saturn Retailers may have some
concerns with DEXRONŽ-VI and DEXRONŽ-III Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and
transmission warranty claims. DEXRONŽ-VI is the only approved fluid for warranty repairs for
General Motors transmissions/transaxles requiring DEXRONŽ-III and/or prior DEXRONŽ
Subject: Release of DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid
(ATF)
Models: 2008 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2007 Saturn Relay
2005 and Prior Saturn L-Series
2005-2007 Saturn ION
2005-2008 Saturn VUE with 4T45-E
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X
Except 2008 and Prior Chevrolet Aveo, Equinox
Except 2006 and Prior Chevrolet Epica
Except 2007 and Prior Chevrolet Optra
Except 2008 and Prior Pontiac Torrent, Vibe, Wave
Except 2003-2005 Saturn ION with CVT or AF23 Only
Except 1991-2002 Saturn S-Series
Except 2008 and Prior Saturn VUE with CVT, AF33 or 5AT (MJ7/MJ8)
Transmission Only
Except 2008 Saturn Astra
Attention: DEXRONŽ-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is the only approved
fluid for warranty repairs for General Motors transmissions/transaxles
requiring DEXRONŽ-III and/or prior DEXRONŽ transmission fluids.transmission fluids.

Please remember that the clean oil reservoirs of the J 45096 - Flushing and
Flow Tester machine should be purged of DEXRONŽ-III and filled with DEXRONŽ-VI for
testing, flushing or filling General Motors transmissions/transaxles.

DEXRONŽ-VI can be used in any proportion in past model vehicles equipped with an automatic
transmission/transaxle in place of DEXRONŽ-III (i.e. topping off the fluid in the event of a
repair or fluid change). DEXRONŽ-VI is also compatible with any former version of DEXRONŽ
for use in automatic transmissions/transaxles.
DEXRONŽ-VI ATF
General Motors Powertrain has upgraded to DEXRONŽ-VI ATF with the start of 2006 vehicle
production.
Current and prior automatic transmission models that had used DEXRONŽ-III must now only
use DEXRONŽ-VI.
All 2006 and future model transmissions that use DEXRONŽ-VI are to be serviced ONLY with
DEXRONŽ-VI fluid.
DEXRONŽ-VI is an improvement over DEXRONŽ-III in the following areas:
* These ATF change intervals remain the same as DEXRONŽ-III for the time being.
2006-2008 Transmission Fill and Cooler Flushing
Some new applications of the 6L80 six speed transmission will require the use of the J 45096 -
Flushing and Flow Tester to accomplish transmission fluid fill. It is highly recommended that the
clean oil reservoir of the machine be purged of DEXRONŽ-III and filled with DEXRONŽ-VI
Parts Information
DEXRONŽ-VI
Fluid Service Change
Interval
160,000 km (100,000 mi) For Cars and Light Duty Trucks*
80,000 km (50,000 mi) (Severe Use) For Cars and Light Duty
Trucks*
Clutch Friction Stability Improved 100%
Clutch Durability Due To
Fluid Improved 120%
Oil Film Thickness Increased 20%
Fluid Oxidation Improved 100%
Foam/Aeration Improved 150%
Shear Stability Improved 200%
Part Number Description
88861003 (US) DEXRONŽ-VI Auto Trans Fluid (1 qt bottle)
88861045 (US) DEXRONŽ-VI Auto Trans Fluid (1 gal bottle)
88861046 (US) DEXRONŽ-VI Auto Trans Fluid (55 gal drum)
88861004 (Canada) DEXRONŽ-VI Auto Trans Fluid (1L bottle) 88861043 (Canada) DEXRONŽ-VI Auto Trans Fluid (4L bottle)
88861044 (Canada) DEXRONŽ-VI Auto Trans Fluid (205L drum)
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that
may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the
equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin
applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....2246,d.c2E
so this is saying to clean the "bad flusher" before putting in the new fluid. im confused right now

biglion

2002 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok cool thanks for all the post help so i will get it changed and whats the best trans fluid or any particular brand to refill with thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: