NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - New (to me) Silverado!
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

New (to me) Silverado!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> C'mon Down!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject:  New (to me) Silverado! Reply with quote

So, I was getting ready to put the G8 away for the winter. I drive my '98 Silverado as my daily in the winter.

I've driven the Silverado several times over this past year, hauling various things. I had begun to notice some doggy performance, much worse gas mileage than normal, sloppy handling and the like. I always have the truck checked out before I have to rely on it in the winter. Unfortunately, it wasn't all great news.

The idler arm is shot. It needs shocks. The tires need replacing. The laundry list goes on and on. This, on top of the rocker panels really beginning to rot out last winter (something these trucks are really known for), adds up to a total repair bill that is well north of what the truck is actually worth.

So, despite my love for the truck, my wife and I made the decision that it made more sense to put the money it would cost to repair toward something different.

Really wanted to get a late-model GMC Sierra, but couldn't find on with the options I wanted under 100K miles for a price that was within my budget, despite an exhaustive local search. We were on a local Chevy dealer's lot last Thursday looking at a potential GMC when we ran across an '08 Silverado.

79K miles, LTZ, Z71 Extended Cab, tow package, new tires and bucket seats (it's amazing how hard it is to find bucket seats in these trucks—at least around here). The price was almost where I needed it to be. The dealer and I went back and forth a few rounds and was starting to think we wouldn't make this work either when they ended up offering me double KBB trade-in value on my current truck. That ended up making the numbers work. I said goodbye to the truck that had served me well for the past 10 years and rode off in the new Silverado.

Black wasn't my first choice, but the deal ended up being too good to pass up.

Yes, I AM aware of the simply horrid faux wood-grain dash. That WILL be taken care of here sooner or later. Actually the whole interior is very '06-'13 Impala.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets — SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster — SOLD
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.9

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Big Thumbs Up
that thing is slick!!

I agree the faux wood should go...
But I also don't like chrome (grill)... 2 Cents

I really do like the black with dark interior as well!

blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

NICE ! I have been looking at the same models to replace my AWD Safari Van. My brother in law replaced the faux woodgrain with faux carbon vinyl from a local sign shop. Meh its a truck after all
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Grape wrote:
Big Thumbs Up
that thing is slick!!

Thanks! I like it. Very Happy

Quote:
I agree the faux wood should go...

Good lord yes...

Quote:
But I also don't like chrome (grill)... 2 Cents

To each their own. I don't like chrome on cars, but I think it looks good on trucks as long as it's not to excess. Actually, the grille on the Silverado is really the reason I was originally looking for a GMC. I like the styling of the nose of the GMC better than the Chevy. But, I don't think the Chevy looks bad.

Quote:
I really do like the black with dark interior as well!

It does match up quite nicely.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets — SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster — SOLD
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.56

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Very nice, Im on the look out for one myself

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nice. i been wanting another family vehicle. wife was talking about a minivan i said no way in hell. too cool for that lol. we have 4 trucks most are single cab lwb the 94 is single cab swb and the imp. well on oct 14th at 0036 she brought into the world our baby girl Emily. so thats number two for us so 4 of us all together and the impala has the room for us 4 but nothing else the car seats take up 1/3 of the back seat. so i found a 91 v3500 crew cab with 25,000 miles. it was an old airforce truck got it at auction for 1800. good deal when ones that are rusted out real bad go for 3k+.

So its now my dd and i gave her the imp. keep the 3 year old in the back in the center and the little one upfront in the center. which is where i like to keep little ones to protect from side impacts

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a chance to take a 15 silverado 1500 home for the night...I'll keep my 11 2500. Same body style as yours. I think your truck looks sharp.
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
I had a chance to take a 15 silverado 1500 home for the night...I'll keep my 11 2500.

I didn't even look at the new generation trucks. No way I could afford one of those. Smile Interesting to hear that you didn't feel it that big an improvement over yours.

Quote:
I think your truck looks sharp.

Thank you!

EMMJAY
Senior Level
Senior Level

Posts per day: 0.63

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Dodge Magnum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

nice truck...just sold on this past saturday!

helldorado wrote:
EMMJAY, your car is coming together nicely as well!

Frank4202 wrote:
EMMJAY, you and I have always had the same taste in cars Hang Head 2
gopedxr7
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.45

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1996 Chrysler Grand Voyager
2003 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
1989 Suzuki Vitara
2012 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

very nice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> C'mon Down! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: