NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account
 

  
NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - '03 Headlamps
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

'03 Headlamps
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Five0two
Guru
Guru


Joined: Jul 08, 2006
Posts: 4442
Posts per day: 1.09
Location: NV - The Silver State

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject:  '03 Headlamps Reply with quote

I want brighter bulbs and I need to unf**k the plastic covers - they're old and faded and starting to get opaqued.

I seem to remember some members being satisfied with... Silverstars? Is that right?

Is there some compound I can use to buff the covers, make them crystal-clear again?

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
98ss
Uber
Uber


Joined: Jun 06, 2009
Posts: 817
Posts per day: 0.27
Location: Ann Arbor

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado


PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It depends, my headlights had cracking on the backs, not on the front. Meguires, mothers and 3M make a headlight restoration kit. I would opt for the drill mounted ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
9C3
Resident
Resident


Joined: Aug 19, 2012
Posts: 591
Posts per day: 0.32
Location: PALM BEACH FLORIDA

2005 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
It depends, my headlights had cracking on the backs, not on the front. Meguires, mothers and 3M make a headlight restoration kit. I would opt for the drill mounted ones.
This didn't work on my car, because the distortion was on the inside of the head lamp lenses, so cleaning the outsides did nothing. Same with every other Impala I've seen in the bone yard. I don't think the lenses come apart to buff the insides where the problem seems to be. GARY

_________________
2005 9C3 IMPALA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Dec 22, 2005
Posts: 3907
Posts per day: 0.92
Location: Dallas

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
Meguires, mothers and 3M make a headlight restoration kit. I would opt for the drill mounted ones.

^^What he said

A shadetree mechanic friend of mine says you can also use teethpaste & a teethbrush Laughing


As for bulbs.. I've used these in every car I've owned with no issues..
As well as having them in every one of my family member's vehicles...
https://www.sylvania.com/en-us.....ultra.aspx

2 Cents

_________________
**Formally GrapeJelly05**
*I might disagree with your religion, your politics and/or your use (or slaughter) of the English language. But make no mistake, I would still fight beside you in defense of freedom.*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Five0two
Guru
Guru


Joined: Jul 08, 2006
Posts: 4442
Posts per day: 1.09
Location: NV - The Silver State

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So it was Silverstar Very Happy

Wish my memory always worked that well Laughing

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 2.01
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Silverstars work well for me. I have Silverstar ultra in my highbeams and Silverstar zXe in my lows.

I've been using Silver Stars since 09 and never had one fail, just upgraded them. Very Happy

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Dec 22, 2005
Posts: 3907
Posts per day: 0.92
Location: Dallas

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I actually just remembered.. I had one issue with Silverstar

After 9 years of use, I noticed the amber film over the turn signals finally started chipping away in little pieces... But that was after 9 years... Bulbs are still going

_________________
**Formally GrapeJelly05**
*I might disagree with your religion, your politics and/or your use (or slaughter) of the English language. But make no mistake, I would still fight beside you in defense of freedom.*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Five0two
Guru
Guru


Joined: Jul 08, 2006
Posts: 4442
Posts per day: 1.09
Location: NV - The Silver State

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Cool... what about rears? Just plain ol' OEM type bulbs?

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 599
Posts per day: 0.36


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:  Re: '03 Headlamps Reply with quote

Five0two wrote:
I want brighter bulbs and I need to unf**k the plastic covers - they're old and faded and starting to get opaqued.

I seem to remember some members being satisfied with... Silverstars? Is that right?

Is there some compound I can use to buff the covers, make them crystal-clear again?
No sylvania suck they are fairly dim

The ones I'm talking about is philips brand bulbs Very specifically these

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-.....00480J56I/



9005 high beams and 9006 low beams

The beam pattern is perfect for the reflector 200ft Low /400ft High approximate figures when correctly aimed.


with the sylvania bulbs I was lucky to get between 20 and 30 feet correctly aimed as well.



I can take a photo of it tonight in the parking lot you can see HOW far they go... Very Happy




Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor


Joined: Dec 22, 2005
Posts: 3907
Posts per day: 0.92
Location: Dallas

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Five0two wrote:
Cool... what about rears? Just plain ol' OEM type bulbs?


Sylvania offers the Silverstars for the rears also.. Silverstar Minis
They also have a "Long Life" bulb for the rears..

But I've never had experience with them.
My stock bulbs are still in the rear, still going strong..

_________________
**Formally GrapeJelly05**
*I might disagree with your religion, your politics and/or your use (or slaughter) of the English language. But make no mistake, I would still fight beside you in defense of freedom.*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Five0two
Guru
Guru


Joined: Jul 08, 2006
Posts: 4442
Posts per day: 1.09
Location: NV - The Silver State

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject:  Re: '03 Headlamps Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
Five0two wrote:
I want brighter bulbs and I need to unf**k the plastic covers - they're old and faded and starting to get opaqued.

I seem to remember some members being satisfied with... Silverstars? Is that right?

Is there some compound I can use to buff the covers, make them crystal-clear again?
No Sylvania suck, they are fairly dim.
The ones I'm talking about(?) [are] Philips brand bulbs, very specifically these:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-.....00480J56I/
9005 high beams, 9006 low beams
The beam pattern is perfect for the reflector - 200ft Low /400ft High (approximate figures when correctly aimed).
With the Sylvania bulbs, I was lucky to get between 20 and 30 feet [when] correctly aimed.

No offense, dude, but Silverstars is what I was looking for.

Over 10 years of experience (just on this board alone) amongst dozens of members over the years (not to
mention the (statistically) hundreds more who just never chimed in over the years) - and one naysayer.

I've been a member on this forum for over 8 years, and I've never seen word of anyone
(who was willing to spend the money on them) having a bad experience with Silverstars.

I just couldn't remember the name of the bulbs.

ps - I fixed your punctuation and spacing and all that for you - it was making my brain hurt

_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor


Joined: May 19, 2007
Posts: 13731
Posts per day: 3.66
Location: Nashville, TN

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu


PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: '03 Headlamps Reply with quote

Five0two wrote:


I've been a member on this forum for over 8 years, and I've never seen word of anyone
(who was willing to spend the money on them) having a bad experience with Silverstars.


The only folks who don't like them are the ones that rub their fingers all over the bulbs when installing them, leading to premature failure. Outside of that, it's all good.

_________________
helldorado wrote:
GLWTGFY. Big Thumbs Up

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.


d
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor


Joined: Nov 30, 2008
Posts: 6396
Posts per day: 2.01
Location: I love drawing butts on stuff.

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series


PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Impala03 would you mind taking a photo of your headlights too show it's output? I'm curious of these bulbs now.

_________________

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Impala_03
Resident
Resident


Joined: Feb 07, 2013
Posts: 599
Posts per day: 0.36


2003 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Impala03 would you mind taking a photo of your headlights too show it's output? I'm curious of these bulbs now.

Yes but I will have to wait for the pavement to dry to take a better photo.
Using a tripod


But this was taken the other day 225 FT from the car to the building
yeah that is the highs lighting up the building center left with the red arrow




Five0two wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
Five0two wrote:
I want brighter bulbs and I need to unf**k the plastic covers - they're old and faded and starting to get opaqued.

I seem to remember some members being satisfied with... Silverstars? Is that right?

Is there some compound I can use to buff the covers, make them crystal-clear again?
No Sylvania suck, they are fairly dim.
The ones I'm talking about(?) [are] Philips brand bulbs, very specifically these:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-.....00480J56I/
9005 high beams, 9006 low beams
The beam pattern is perfect for the reflector - 200ft Low /400ft High (approximate figures when correctly aimed).
With the Sylvania bulbs, I was lucky to get between 20 and 30 feet [when] correctly aimed.

No offense, dude, but Silverstars is what I was looking for.

Over 10 years of experience (just on this board alone) amongst dozens of members over the years (not to
mention the (statistically) hundreds more who just never chimed in over the years) - and one naysayer.

I've been a member on this forum for over 8 years, and I've never seen word of anyone
(who was willing to spend the money on them) having a bad experience with Silverstars.

I just couldn't remember the name of the bulbs.

ps - I fixed your punctuation and spacing and all that for you - it was making my brain hurt




Sylvania are not the best they barely had any brightness as you can see they were just as bright as the turn signals, they were 50W bulbs



yeah it may scatter light, as good as it may sound it's not good for other oncoming drivers.

the light is very focused to the naked eye the shutter was slower so it picked up the light left and right of the car
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular


Joined: Dec 05, 2012
Posts: 140
Posts per day: 0.08


2004 Chevrolet Impala


PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have zxe's in highs and lows, they're ok. I think I like my vision x high output fogs a little more. they really help fill what the lows don't.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/produ.....&psc=1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Interior & Exterior MODs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Forums ©
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. Comments and posts are property of the poster. All other content is © 2008 by the NAIOA.


Use of this site constitutes agreement with the NAIOA Terms of Service (TOS)


PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
Server Local Time: August 22, 2017, 12:24:43 am
Page Generation: 0.13 Seconds ( SQL 45:143 in 0.01 Seconds )