NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Intake gasket, going?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Intake gasket, going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject:  Intake gasket, going? Reply with quote

I saw a puff of smoke from under the hood the other day. Looked at it & didnt like what I saw! The motor is pretty clean for a driver, I inspect it often looking for the famous 3.4 intake leak. Am I a winner?? Mad

Bad phone pic, but this is the right rear intake side near the cabin.Is this a common area for the LIM to leak? It is wet under the valve cover area of the head. I recently did the valve cover gaskets & EGR, kind of sloppy with the RTV but they were sealed Embarassed The other sides & center are bone dry. No noticeable coolant loss & the oil looks fine. I think this just started. The Imp doesnt usually get driven but it has been my daily driver for the last month with zero issues till now.

I swear this car hates me! It knows I'm thinking "I could have had a 3.8" Time to park it for the winter, maybe a little early again, so its not a huge issue but annoying either way. As far as I know, the LIM gasket has not been replaced...yet. Dont think theres a chance that could be oil leaking from the valve cover? It doesnt have the oil look/smell to it. I forget what style valve cover gaskets I used on it-judging by the RTV mess I think they were cork (not rubber).

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.27

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can also check on the front side of the engine and look between the water pump and power steering reservoir. I have seen a few leaks in that area. How many miles are on the car, but the gaskets tend to get dry and brittle.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks 98 Wink
The car has 150K on it. Basically a 2nd car so it doesnt get driven much & its parked in the cold weather (owned it 3 years now & its never seen a snowflake). The front side seems clean, this was the only thing I saw on all four corners. I almost did the intake gaskets last winter as a preventative thing, at least it made it through the summer! The oil looks fine so I'm pretty sure this just happened. Its about time to park it again for the snowy months so this puts it away till next year. Kind of tired of the $$ spent on the Imp vs the miles it sees, its not good at all. grrrr..... Evil or Very Mad Decision time I guess.....

98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So if you fuel economy goes to crap and you are starting to use oil...then it could be. If it has never been done, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it. If you can do it yourself, then by all means. Pick up the pushrod removal tool, it will save you like 1 hour plus on time. You will most likely spend more time cleaning up crap and gaskets than actually tightening down bolts ect. Also, keep in mind that some of the intakes that have failed were do to the bolts being too long and bottoming out. Easily fixed. Grind off the bottom of the bolt (non threaded part)
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks again 98, you always have good advise Wink
The gas mileage has gone up the last 2 tanks, that was a issue I had before the latest exhaust /catback replacement. It is about 20mpg vs 15ish before the resonator-back exhaust. Car was running great & no real issues, I just saw a odd poof of steam & had to look around. Its an extra vehicle, so I dont really drive it much. I've had it a few years now & its never really used any oil. The "pulley side" of the engine seems clean, the photo is the worse intake/head gasket area. What is the pushrod removal tool? I've been playing with cars for too long now, sure I can do it myself Laughing

Its pretty much parked for the winter now. I power-washed the snot out of the engine bay. I'll slap a nice coat of wax on it & drive it a couple days & see if the leak area appears again. If it does then I guess I'll be doing the intake gaskets, ughhh..should have done that last winter.....I wanted to repaint the darn thing this winter but its not helping me out much Mad

98ss
Uber
Uber

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Lysle makes the tool (48300). If you do not have the tool then you have to unbolt all the rockers. I found the tool on rockauto for just under 12 bucks.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks! Found it at Summit, so thats going into the next order Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: