NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Battery drain.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Battery drain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cowboys65

Posts per day: 0.01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject:  Battery drain. Reply with quote

I own an 04 LS, everything works good (mechanical and electrical) no error codes.The only issue right now is that i have a battery drain of 540 ma. After several tests i found that under hood fuse #242 left i/p 60 amp is the one causing the drain. If i don't unplug this fuse my battery voltage go so low that the car won't start. what i also did is unplugged the instrument cluster with all the fuses plugged and i got the same reading of 540 ma. I sent the cluster to be repaired and the stepper motors and lights were replaced, the guy that did the job said that he didn't find anything wrong with the cluster, so i'm still having the same problem. Do you guys think the cluster is bad or there is something else that keeps it awake,for example the BCM or maybe the ignition switch? I was looking for the schematics of what circuits fuse 242 feed, but i couldn't find one. thank you for reading this post, and every comment/answer would be greatly appreciated.
Bill58
Resident
Resident
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.2

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Junction Block - Left I/P – the fuse panel on the left end of the I/P, open the drivers door to access panel cover.

Fuse 242 is hot all the time and powers the following circuits.

Junction Block - Left I/P including; CLSTR/BCM Fuse (10A), DR LK Fuse (20A), HEADLAMP RELAY, LH HTD ST/BCM Fuse (15A), PWR MIR Fuse (2A), RETAINED ACCSRY PWR RELAY, and RETAINED ACCSRY PWR BRKR Circuit Breaker (30A)

Try your parasitic draw on these individual circuits.
cowboys65

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you Bill58, i will definitely check all this fuses and see if i get lucky.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery drain. Reply with quote

cowboys65 wrote:
I own an 04 LS, everything works good (mechanical and electrical) no error codes.The only issue right now is that i have a battery drain of 540 ma. After several tests i found that under hood fuse #242 left i/p 60 amp is the one causing the drain. If i don't unplug this fuse my battery voltage go so low that the car won't start. what i also did is unplugged the instrument cluster with all the fuses plugged and i got the same reading of 540 ma. I sent the cluster to be repaired and the stepper motors and lights were replaced, the guy that did the job said that he didn't find anything wrong with the cluster, so i'm still having the same problem. Do you guys think the cluster is bad or there is something else that keeps it awake,for example the BCM or maybe the ignition switch? I was looking for the schematics of what circuits fuse 242 feed, but i couldn't find one. thank you for reading this post, and every comment/answer would be greatly appreciated.

540ma is not a large drain.
probably the alarm/radio.

also the radio turns on when you open the door and stays on for 30 seconds after (noticeable by hissing noise from the speakers)

considering most batteries are rated for several hundred amp hours

It's probably a faulty battery more then likely.
This car is fairly picky and more then likely to refuse to start if the battery is below 70% and has weak cells.

The best way is to turn off everything and let the fuel prime for a second then try cranking it.. wait for lights to shut off

this will increase the chances that the car will start with a weak battery

I always wait for the fuel to prime before trying to start it because it's better then trying to start it and let the starter run for a extra second plus you looks like a piece of junk car if your sitting there trying to crank it. because of that delay..
Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery drain. Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
cowboys65 wrote:

also the radio turns on when you open the door and stays on for 30 seconds after (noticeable by hissing noise from the speakers)

This car is fairly picky and more then likely to refuse to start if the battery is below 70% and has weak cells.

The best way is to turn off everything and let the fuel prime for a second then try cranking it.. wait for lights to shut off

I always wait for the fuel to prime before trying to start it because it's better then trying to start it and let the starter run for a extra second plus you looks like a piece of junk car if your sitting there trying to crank it. because of that delay..

540mA is way to much. Removing fuse 242 and the car starts should tell you something.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery drain. Reply with quote

Bill58 wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
cowboys65 wrote:

540mA is way to much. Removing fuse 242 and the car starts should tell you something.

in I suspect that is the radio turning on when the door is opened since he does not specific how this drain was checked or when it was checked

7 volt stand by continues load is normal for the time on the radio other wise you would lose all the settings on the Radio,alarm, ECM etc... such as Engine codes

the alarm is the major draw since it's "on" all the time

how do you think the car unlocks when you press the button on the remote ?

there is stuff running in the backround when the car is parked
Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject:  Re: Battery drain. Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
there is stuff running in the backround when the car is parked

yes about 35~50 mA worth.
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.54

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a similar issue on my SS, the RAP was causing the BCM to stay awake. Had it towed to dealer where they replaced the BCM under warranty.

From what it looks like on the list Bill posted, the RAP is part of that circuit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the input on this problem. I checked all the fuses on driver side and fuse CLSTR/BCM 10 AMP is the one with the 540 drain. When disconnected the car won't start, the power locks and interior lights don't work but the drain disappear. Reading other posts with similar problems i know it could be the BCM,ignition switch or the cluster. What makes this problem harder to diagnose is the fact that everything works good in the car. So what you guys think? what i'm gonna do next is to check the ignition switch maybe i can find the problem there.....thanks!!
Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

CLSTE/BCM goes 3 places
-IPC
-DLC pin 16
-BCM (A3 C1 0.35 ORN 2140)

The cluster you have checked, DLC is 12v to pin 16.
CLSTE/BCM (fuse) goes to BCM input (A3 C1 0.35 ORN 2140)
BCM may have internal problem not letting something go to sleep.
The BCM is a black hole without any internal schematics I could find.
cowboys65

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thank you for the info. Bill58. this morning i was pulling fuses on the passenger side but everything checked ok. the car has a Clarion remote start alarm, it was already installed when i bought it. I don't think this is normal but when i was disconnecting the negative battery cable to checked the fuses the car started by itself. the keys were inside the house, so it didn't start by accident. have you heard of something like this before?
Bill58
Resident
Resident

2006 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

An exorcism perhaps……

The BCM is far reaching…..
Audible warnings, in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Interior lighting.
Automatic door locks
Automatic headlamp control
Keyless entry (AUO option),
Passlock theft deterrent
Content theft deterrent
Retained Accessory Power

The devices receiving serial data messages for RAP functions are:
Auxiliary power drop connector
Driver information center (DIC)
Instrument panel cluster (IPC)
Radio
Remote CD player, if equipped
Vehicle interface unit (VIU), if equipped

With an aftermarket alarm who knows. May try disconnecting the aftermarket alarm and resume trouble shooting.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If the alarm was properly installed, there should be a fuse or two on the harness leading to the alarm itself that you can easily pull. I know my remote start has a warning sticker that says the car may start when the battery is reconnected, although it has never happened to me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: