NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2000 LS problems !
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2000 LS problems !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldblu

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject:  2000 LS problems ! Reply with quote

About 6 months ago , my car would occasionally ( approx. 10 % of the time ) not start . When I say not start , it wouldn't even crank - nothing ! Usually after a few minutes , if you kept trying , it would start . Over time that 10 % has turned to 95 % of the time it won't crank ! When this happened , everything else seemed to work just fine - just the engine wouldn't crank and there was no noises indicating any attempt to start ( no clunking , etc. ) ! The headlights , all interior lighting , the radio , etc. worked as designed during these episodes . The battery is new though I had it retested to be sure . The starter was removed and checked out fine as did the alternator ! All fuses checked out good . This left the ignition switch as the main culprit so I replaced it yesterday . No change - still no crank but a new problem arose after the install . The car has no interior power now ( no lighting , headlights don't work now , no radio power , etc. ) . The infamous " Security light " on the dash never came on previously during this entire ordeal . Since I was running out of leads to pursue , I did the " Security re-learn " procedure ( ignition switch to run position for 10 minutes then off ) and did this 3 times . Still no luck ! Car still doesn't crank and now the electrical power to the car seems to have left town as well ! Previously when the car refused to crank but did eventually start , it ran just fine never stalling or anything . I did get one suggestion yesterday from a former service manager . He said I should replace both battery cables as his experience at his previous dealership was similar problems with GM trucks . He said replacing both seemed to solve the problem the trucks were having . He also said they never experienced this particular problem with cars , only trucks . You just never knew when you shut it off , if it would restart ? Any knowledge , personal experiences with a similar problem , or just advice from anyone ? Any and all help will be truly appreciated as finances at this time dictate that I repair the car myself so any help is welcome .
lostwrench
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2009 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check the other end of the negative battery cable. It is bolted to the frame or engine block. If there is not a good clean contact there, all kinds of strange electrical events can happen
Check that all the wires were reconnected after the ignition switch replacement.

If the car doesn't know it is in P or N, it won't turn over. The shift lever position switch may be worn. Try shaking or putting pressure on the shift lever when turning the key.
oldblu

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Today I tried a suggestion someone made to me . They suggested that the negative battery cable may be loose or defective and not making a solid connection ? So I installed the positive battery cable to the battery . Instead of installing the regular negative battery cable , I installed one of the battery charging posts into the negative battery terminal . I then used one of the battery boosting cables from the negative side of the battery to a solid ground onto the engine . This made no difference as it still won't crank and I still have no electrical power ( no interior lighting , no headlights , no radio , no horn , etc. ) ! Anyone have any suggestions as I'm about out of ideas ? Until 2 days ago , the engine would not crank but I still had electrical power and all the before-mentioned items still worked . Did I blow some secret fuse or fusible link that killed all the power ? Help !!
2001Ls
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.24

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if you have another key try using that......if not try holding the key in start for a long period of time....like 30 seconds....given you have power from the battery through your electrical system.....the keys have security chips in them and my car used to have issues like this andholding the key in start for 20-30 seconds would always start it

2001 Impala LS 81k as of Nov,2011
3.8 V6 3800 Series 2
oldblu

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject:  2000 Impala problems ? Reply with quote

One thing I have gained though this long ordeal with my car is experience . My 2000 Impala LS does not have a chip in the key . Hopefully you don't take that as a rude remark - it's not meant to be . What it does have is a chip mated to the side of the key lock cylinder . When this lock cylinder is in the proper position ( installed in the ignition switch ) , this chip plugs into an inside connector which then exits through the side of the ignition switch as a small wire . This small wire then goes into the wiring loom and goes to ... well , I'm not sure where it goes ? What this chip does is it communicate to the computer that all is well and normal operations can take place . If you replace the original lock cylinder with a new one , then the " Security Re-learn " procedure is necessary to get the switch and computer back in sync . I appreciate all responses and and I will apologize if my post in any way sounded terse , rude , or unappreciated . It was not meant to be . I also would like to say that I may ( and I emphasize MAY ) have resolved my problem ? Only time will tell if that is correct ? My fingers are crossed ! Thanks to all for your help !
oldblu

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject:  2000 LS problems ! Reply with quote

Update : The car is back together with a new ignition switch . Not much has changed , it starts sometimes , doesn't start other times ? A new " thing " has shown up recently that I'm not sure is related to the original problem ? When I'm getting out of the driver's seat , I manually push the power door locking switch on the driver's door . It quickly locks .. then instantly unlocks itself ? Doesn't matter how many times you push it to lock , it does the same thing ? To lock the driver's door , you have to manually lock it from the outside using the key ! Does this somehow indicate the car's computer is involved not only with this new problem , but perhaps with the original problem as well ? Any opinions ?
mtl

Posts per day: 0.02

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject:  Re: 2000 LS problems ! Reply with quote

oldblu wrote:
Update : The car is back together with a new ignition switch . Not much has changed , it starts sometimes , doesn't start other times ? A new " thing " has shown up recently that I'm not sure is related to the original problem ? When I'm getting out of the driver's seat , I manually push the power door locking switch on the driver's door . It quickly locks .. then instantly unlocks itself ? Doesn't matter how many times you push it to lock , it does the same thing ? To lock the driver's door , you have to manually lock it from the outside using the key ! Does this somehow indicate the car's computer is involved not only with this new problem , but perhaps with the original problem as well ? Any opinions ?

It sounds like it could be related in that the wiring from the ignition to the BCM (Body Control Module) that tells it that the key is out of the ignition and therefore the doors can be locked with the power lock switch is not working right. It sounds like you have an intermittent wiring problem with the wires to the starter solenoid and BCM. As you mentioned the ignition has PASSLOCK and I'm not certain if it has any control over the starter working on that year but the ignition circuit certainly does.

There is a starter relay in the underhood fuse boxe that if bad could explain the intermittent no crank. I'm not sure if you checked the starter relay there.

I think you would need a wiring schematic and service manual and ability to check electrical circuits to chase the problem down. It might be better to take it to a good dealer.
oldblu

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject:  new update Reply with quote

All of the forementioned problems still exist but a new one has shown up ? Normally if you have the key in the ignition and open the drivers door , you get a ding , ding , ding , etc. to let you know you have left the key in the ignition switch - right ? Well now , if the car's drivers' door is opened ( with no key in the ignition switch ) , you get the ding , ding ,ding , etc. ? BCM problem indication or .... ? If you remember the old TV show called " Just Shoot Me Now " , well , you'll know where I am about now ! I try it every day to see by chance if it'll start and it hasn't started in a week ! Will it ever start again ??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: