NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - KN air filter, any good?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

KN air filter, any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:  KN air filter, any good? Reply with quote

So I just got back from my bi monthly trip to the U-pick. I found an Impala with a KN air filter. The one that looks like a regular filter, & goes in the stock air filter housing. I paid $3.50 for it, & wondering if it's any good. My car is totally stock, so I'm not looking for more power, but rather a filter that doesn't need to be replaced. But I read somewhere they boost power because they're less restrictive, & let more crap through. Also, since the KN filters need to be oiled, there's a possibility the oil can mess up the MAF sensor. Any truth to this? GARY

bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.26

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: KN air filter, any good? Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
So I just got back from my bi monthly trip to the U-pick. I found an Impala with a KN air filter. The one that looks like a regular filter, & goes in the stock air filter housing. I paid $3.50 for it, & wondering if it's any good. My car is totally stock, so I'm not looking for more power, but rather a filter that doesn't need to be replaced. But I read somewhere they boost power because they're less restrictive, & let more crap through. Also, since the KN filters need to be oiled, there's a possibility the oil can mess up the MAF sensor. Any truth to this? GARY

I have one and this is my opinion
Gain in power....No
Pita when you clean it...Keep your old filter if you need to use your car before the K&N dries
When applying oil to the filter after drying ,do so sparingly..Too much and it will get sucked in and screw up the MAF

edit There was a thick gasket in the air box...Did you get it? Comes with the filter.
Was worth $3.50 though

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.75

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The oil can absolutely ruin your MAF. The one that came with my intake kit wrecked my MAF with the factory oil job. I switched to AEM dry flow filters after that.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ive used a couple kn filters worth 3.50 yup. like said power not so much some say they arnt as good cause if you dont oil it enough then it will let dirt in. but on my 92 sable i felt like being stupid as normal and was having fun i put a cone filter on it with autozones plastic "cold" air pipes. well one wasn't enough for me so i put another on with a "Y" pip they sold. so i had dual cone filters on that beast lmao.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:55 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I didn't see a "thick gasket" in the air filter housing. After reading here, & other sites, I'm not sure I'll be using it. The possibility of oil contaminating the MAF bothers me. Oh, the $3.50 included a regular filter too which looks to have been installed a week before the car was scrapped. GARY

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i never had a problem with the oil just let it dry out before you install it and you will be good

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You can always clear off the MAF with MAF cleaner or electrical parts cleaner spray if you somehow get oil on it. I have been running K&N filters of one form or another for about ten years now and have never had any issues.

Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
I have been running K&N filters of one form or another for about ten years now and have never had any issues.

X2 Razz

Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.64

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
I have been running K&N filters of one form or another for about ten years now and have never had any issues.

x3 but for many more years

Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject:  Re: KN air filter, any good? Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:

There was a thick gasket in the air box...Did you get it? Comes with the filter.
Was worth $3.50 though
I went back to the U-pick today, found the car, & the seal was attached to the cover. I started to remove the seal, but it would have been damaged, so I took the whole cover. But they wanted $11 for it, & I realized I also needed to spend $13 for the cleaner, & oil. Not worth it when paper filters are $6. I left the cover there. I removed the paper filter that's been in my car for 2 years, & it was pretty clean, but I replaced it with the 2nd filter I got yesterday. If I souped up the car, I could see using the K&N filter, but since it's bone stock, I'll stick with paper filters. Anyone want the filter? GARY

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

If you need a seal, I believe its just weather stripping. I bet you can grab some at the local hardware store.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

98ss wrote:
If you need a seal, I believe its just weather stripping. I bet you can grab some at the local hardware store.
Yeah, that's what I told the guy at the check out area at the bone yard. I didn't need another cover, & a roll of weather strip at Home Depot down the street is a few bucks. Then there's guys on U-Tube cleaning the filter with Oxy Clean & club soda to not have to spend $13 on the official K&N clean & oil kit. But for now, a clean paper filter is in place. GARY

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.06

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
98ss wrote:
Yeah, that's what I told the guy at the check out area at the bone yard. I didn't need another cover, & a roll of weather strip at Home Depot down the street is a few bucks. Then there's guys on U-Tube cleaning the filter with Oxy Clean & club soda to not have to spend $13 on the official K&N clean & oil kit. But for now, a clean paper filter is in place. GARY

You're find with the regular paper filter. The K&N filter doesn't add any noticeable power anyway. I put one on my POS Saturn years back and it drove the same. Plus they cost around $40.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.38

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
9C3 wrote:
98ss wrote:

You're find with the regular paper filter. The K&N filter doesn't add any noticeable power anyway. I put one on my POS Saturn years back and it drove the same. Plus they cost around $40.

But it makes it easier if your lazy to change them often
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: