NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - I'm still here but DAD in hospice at VA hospital
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

I'm still here but DAD in hospice at VA hospital

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.18

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject:  I'm still here but DAD in hospice at VA hospital Reply with quote

It's been a long time but been so busy. Dad gave me the '07 silverado, and signed the house over to me in February 2014, then in mid February DAD complained of chest pains so took him to hospital, where he stayed 8 days. Then he was discharged for 1 day and had to call ambulance for him he complained he couldn't breathe. So he stayed another 2 weeks. He had 1/2 liter of fluid removed from heart and another liter of fluid removed from lung. Doctors opinion Dad's cancer was spreading and they recommended nursing home or hospice at home but they said it would be too much for me to do by myself. Then the VA called and offered him bed there FREE of charge. So the house and truck etc. is safe. Since then i have been going to see DAD everyday but with gas prices i have cut it to every other day. But he seems to be doing better. I can't believe anything wrong with him. Then in June 2014 i had to put my step brother who is mentally handicapped in a nursing home because he became to difficult t0o take care of with all his health problems. I'm only one person and I reached out to my sister to tell her about DAD since she hasn't been around in 3 `1/2 years and hoping too get some help with DAD to maybe take some of the buden off me. But she doesn't care and i have decided i don't have a sister. She's nothing but a self centered little bitch it always has to be about her. So I have been keeping busy and trying to keep my mind off of DAD/s sickness. And just trying to enjoy any time i still have with him. AT home i have been continuing remodeling and painting trim on patio after garage finished. Doing brakes on '07truck, I put new summit racing drilled/slotted and ceramic pads on the '06 impala. With all my traveling back and forth to VA hospital everyday, the check engine light was on 3 different times and they replace almost every emission part on the gas tank, first fuel evap Then it was fuel pressure solenoid and fuel cap. Finally fixed.

So now everyone knows what i have been up to. NOT much time in the day when you take 4-5 hours to see DAD and then lawn to mow and dogs to walk, House to take care of and helping friends out. Not much time for myself and someday it will catch up with me, but i hope not. I'll try to check in every now an then when/if i get time. But with everything resting on my shoulders right now, it's tough. This week is local fair and i want to try and relax and enjoy myself. Been a rough 2014 for me. Very Happy Everyone take care, I may try to check in every day before i go to fair.

BlackVenom
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.54

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about your dad and brother, man. And family like your sister sure isn't much use or family at all. Maybe, hopefully, she'll come around. You gotta make time for yourself, though. No choice; find a way to be alone or do something you enjoy even if it's only for 30min.
I hope the best for you man! It sounds like you're doing your best.

overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties in your life of late. Just remember that things will find a way to work out. Enjoy the time you have left with your Dad and be thankful for those opportunities.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets ó SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster ó SOLD
Grape
Master Level
Master Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.91

2005 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

overlordspock wrote:
Enjoy the time you have left with your Dad and be thankful for those opportunities.

This is something I wish I'd have done with my grandparents.

Enjoy the time you have left with your father and forget about your sister.
Spend the time you have left in a positive mood/outlook. I think it may help. 2 Cents

Sorry about your bad news lately. I hope your tomorrow brings a brighter day.

MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just got back from seeing Dad he didn't want to go to local fair today but said maybe tomorrow. He was worried about the chance of rain. Damp weather wreaks havoc with his arthritis in his knees. I just hope his wheel chair fits in trunk of impala. Anyone try fitting a wheel chair in an '06 impala's trunk? Does it fit? It will definately fit it bed of truck. Laughing But the truck sits so high i would have to goose him to get him up in there. Wink As for my sister I don't expect her to come around it's been almost 6 mo. since she found out about DAD. She brings her new husband to work in a shop about 500ft. down the road from my house and she will go around the block the other way to avoid driving passed the house and on the rare occassion she does drive by and I"M outside she snubs me. She drove by me the other DAY when i was walking the dogs and she looked directly at me and snubbed me. She knew it was me because no one has a siberian husky and well not sure what the other one is, he is either korean jindo dog or japanese akita. white with orange ears. But DAD is doing excellent i would like to get him out to the fair at least once this week. Maybe if my sister sees DAD in wheel chair at fair maybe it may make her think about her attitude. But I'm not holding my breath. Because last year DAD was using a walker and she seen us and didn't say anything to us.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad has Parkinsonís; heís had it for some years now. Had to quit his job because he felt he was a safety risk for others (he was a mechanic) someone would have to work with him because he lost his strength. Well after he quit he went on disability. So my step mother and him live off his check which aint much. but dad wanted to travel the u.s. before he died. heís only 56 but his body is 70 due to the meds.

then one day he had chest pains, wouldnít stop coughing, couldnít stand up and got light headed easy. when I heard this my first thought was heart problems. they did an ekg and then did an exploratory surgery. they said if they find anything wrong they will fix it then. turns out his right ventricle was 100% blocked off and his left side was his dominate side (this saved his life). and the right side started to repair itself by attaching to the left side. doctors where amazed he was alive. most times the right side is the dominate and the heart most times doesnít repair itself.

so they left that alone they said in their studies if they messed with the heart it tends to make things worse. but after recovery he still could get up. one doctor starts looking at him and realizes itís a neurological problem. Parkinsonís is like limes dieses and some say they are linked. but something happened to a disk in his spine they fixed that and now months later his still in pt. the place doing the pt is giving him 2 hrs of pt one hr consist of Neurological the other is Orthopedic. The catch is they say they canít work separate so they have to work together then they only work 1hr at the same time and charge him for 2 hrs.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
MyDvd7MD
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2000 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks, my neighbor had parkinson's also, he repaired shoes as a second job. And his got so bad he had to give it up. And then shortly after he got Alzheimers and from there it was downhill. It was sad to see him deteriorate like that. I just don't want to see DAD have to suffer. Because for a while Doctors said it could be one day, a month year. Only the MAN upstairs knows that. But a few months ago I actually thought DAD was almost to the Pearly GATES but then he got better and seems to be pretty good. It would be nice to see him home again but this old house isn't wheel chair friendly some doors are narrow and other doorways are very wide. But it's a 100+ yr. old house. Very Happy But the Erie VA hospice care is GREAT i don't think he could get any better care.. I've heard horror stories of other VA hospitals in the country but the ERIE, PA one is tops. Very Happy I'm going in today and bring DAD to fair. Today is to be the best day tomorrow the weather is calling for rain and then cooler temps in 60's and DAD's arthritis hates cool weather or damp weather.

VIKING
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your Dad. Sounds familiar . My Dad passed away in 2001. He had Alzhiemers and Binswanger. For 8 years prior to his death every Saturday i would drive his Blazer to the assisted living home where he was and i would drive him through the country and buy him lunch and one beer afterwards. Now i have my Mom to take care of mentally she is ok , its kind of strange because of physical limitations i have to do a lot for her like get stuff tie her shoes washing clothes cooking getting stuff down put stuff away in a way it is probably what my parents did for me when i was little. I will be 60 in 2016 and i am starting to beleive what my doctor says "you know your not 20 anymore" . Laughing

Today is the oldest you have ever been, yet the youngest you will ever be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: