NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Service Traction only at dealer?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Service Traction only at dealer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject:  Service Traction only at dealer? Reply with quote

I've got what I'm pretty sure is an electrical issue. My traction control is activating almost every time I put the car in drive after backing up, and about once every two days the Service Traction System, ABS, and TRAC OFF lights come on. Turning off the car clears those lights for a while.

Is the dealership the only place that can actually do STS service, or do some shops do it?

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid. K&N Air filter. Can't do much else on a hybrid.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

It's a chassis code (Cxxxx). You should be able to read it with a higher-end scan tool capable of reading chassis codes. A cheaper $100ish scan tool won't be able to read it, but a higher end one (or a really high end one at a mechanic) should be able to read it. Doesn't have to be the dealership.

bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As Franks said... Go to Autozone or some place like that, get them to read the code for you. most times its a problem with the wiring to that wheel or a wheel bearing. If you are able and have some tools you can fix it yourself.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

got the same problem, well now it comes on when i turn the key over. i know what my problem is. its the wires from the wheel bearing to the plug they touched the cv shaft and now are bare. i still have cruise control so im not in a hurry to fix it but i know its the front passenger tires

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:
As Franks said... Go to Autozone or some place like that, get them to read the code for you. most times its a problem with the wiring to that wheel or a wheel bearing. If you are able and have some tools you can fix it yourself.

I could be wrong, but I think Auto Zone will (or rather, has scanners that can) only scan for powertrain codes...might be worth a call to ask before you rely on them to do it.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i know they usually open the cheapest scanners on their shelf. but every once in a while you will find a store that opens the top shelf scanner

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
got the same problem, well now it comes on when i turn the key over. i know what my problem is. its the wires from the wheel bearing to the plug they touched the cv shaft and now are bare. i still have cruise control so im not in a hurry to fix it but i know its the front passenger tires

I found another thread with the same issue as me that said it's the speed sensor, so yeah, the wires from the bearing to the plug. Have to put the car up and take a look at each week to see if I can see bare wires.

Totaled 9/19/2016 - 2004 Impala SS, Performance Car - ZZP ECM 1.0, 3.4" Pulley, K&N Cold Air Intake, TOG Headers, Random Technology Hi-Flow Cat, SLP Power-Flo Cat-Back Exhaust, Autolite 104s, PRJ Performance Ignition wires, GMPP Handling Kit
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You might be able to go to an independent shop, they might read the codes for free. There are a few shops around here that do that.
bigdog60
Resident
Resident
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 0.25

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Deezul_AwT wrote:
Irish_alley wrote:

I found another thread with the same issue as me that said it's the speed sensor, so yeah, the wires from the bearing to the plug. Have to put the car up and take a look at each week to see if I can see bare wires.

Chances of actually seeing a Bare wire are pretty slim (unless it did rub against something) the wire breaks inside the wire loom. You have to remove it from the loom (the black cover with the wire in it) and have a look. Thats why its nice to have it scanned first, no guessing witch wheel it is.

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

bigdog60 wrote:

Chances of actually seeing a Bare wire are pretty slim (unless it did rub against something) the wire breaks inside the wire loom. You have to remove it from the loom (the black cover with the wire in it) and have a look. Thats why its nice to have it scanned first, no guessing witch wheel it is.
This was the story with my car. The ABS lite was on, & after opening the loom, the wire inside still looked fine. Replacing the wire fixed the problem. My pal at the Chevy dealer used the scanner, & was told it was the right front wire. 2 weeks later, the left front wire needed to be replaced. All has been fine since. GARY

Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll just schedule a trip to the dealer. I could spend more time calling and driving around to shops trying to save a buck when the dealer will be able to do it.

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

if you want to spend money just to find out what is the problem i would invest in a scanner that will be able to read the code. if you have another sensor go bad it will probably pay for itself

9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
bigdog60 wrote:

This was the story with my car. The ABS lite was on, & after opening the loom, the wire inside still looked fine. Replacing the wire fixed the problem. My pal at the Chevy dealer used the scanner, & was told it was the right front wire. 2 weeks later, the left front wire needed to be replaced, so back to the dealer. All has been fine since. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.58

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
if you want to spend money just to find out what is the problem i would invest in a scanner that will be able to read the code. if you have another sensor go bad it will probably pay for itself

Agreed. Getting a half decent scanner won't cost much more than a diagnostic check at the dealer if you are planning on fixing it yourself anyway. The dealer I use charges 130 just to look at the car.. it's ridiculous.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Deezul_AwT
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have a ScanGuage II, but it doesn't read ABS codes or STS codes, just the standard engine codes. Believe me, I tried. Plugged it in, no pending codes. I don't know of a code reader that does read ABS codes that's not a few hundred dollars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: