NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 9C1/9C3 Transmissions.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

9C1/9C3 Transmissions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject:  9C1/9C3 Transmissions. Reply with quote

I know it's been beat to death here, & on other W car forums that the 9C1/9C3 cars did not come with the HD transmission. Yes, my door decal does say M15, which is not the HD transmission, but I just can't believe that my transmission is EXACTLY the same as on grandma's grocery getter. Years ago when I worked at a Chrysler parts counter, we had the 904, & 727. The 727 was an industructable transmission, but there were many different versions depending on the application. The 440 6 pak, & Hemi cars came with a special version that had extra clutch discs, & planetary gear sets. Same with GM. In 1970 the Buick Grand Sport Stage 1 came with a BB code Turbo 400, While my Olds 442 came with a OD code transmission. These units also had extra clutch discs, & the HD planetary gear set. Chevy improved on that with the CY code transmission. This unit was only installed on the solid lifter square port head big block 396/375, 427/435, & 454 LS6 engine, & also had a special governor for higher RPM upshifts. So while the 9C1/9C3 cars do come with the M15 trans, I find it highly unusual that the trans in my car would be 100% exactly the same as grandma's car. If I was still working at the dealer, I would look up parts with my vin, & then turn off the vin filter to see what other Impala's used & compare them both. Besides, doesn't the HD trans just have a beefier diff unit, & the trans is the same. So to you guys who still work at the parts counter, can you take 10 minutes to look up some parts & compare them to each other. 59139548 are the last 8 digits of the vin on my 9C3 car. Please compare that to grandma's car, & compare clutch packs, & planetary gear sets to put this to rest. With my 30+ years in the Mopar/GM parts business, I just can't believe that 9C1/9C3 cars have 100% exactly the same tranny parts as granny's car. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject:  Re: 9C1/9C3 Transmissions. Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
With my 30+ years in the Mopar/GM parts business, I just can't believe that 9C1/9C3 cars have 100% exactly the same tranny parts as granny's car. GARY

Why is that so hard to believe (particularly with the 'old' GM)? It would cost more money to have special parts for 9C1s/9C3s and the regular ones work just fine.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Because with all the complaints on the forums about the 4T65E falling apart in normal use, how could the transmissions in police cars last.? My car has the original trans, & at 165,000 miles I flushed the fluid, but w/o adding the detergent. Guess what, no problems at all? I dunno, maybe what I learned over the last 30 years doesn't apply now, but there used to be a slightly different transmission for every engine application. Even my 74 Monaco 440 Hipo ex FHP car had a special HD 727. Next time I visit my old job, I gonna look up some tranny parts in the computer. GARY

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.66

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm just gonna go ahead and say you got lucky. My Intrigue got 160k and change without any transmission issues, my brothers intrigue did almost 180k before it started acting wonky and my Monte was acting up by 90k with it toasting itself around 120k.

From my time on the W-body forums it seems that some people get lucky with their transmissions and others get hosed.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IffyG wrote:
I'm just gonna go ahead and say you got lucky. My Intrigue got 160k and change without any transmission issues, my brothers intrigue did almost 180k before it started acting wonky and my Monte was acting up by 90k with it toasting itself around 120k.

From my time on the W-body forums it seems that some people get lucky with their transmissions and others get hosed.

I agree. It's a damn timebomb. I have 60,000 on the same fluid (6 years old) It always looks at me like "Soon....." Bastard.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

idk i dont see gm making a hd trans and 2 regular trans. but gm is weird, like you where saying the 700r4 v6 version had less clutches and higher stall converter than the v8 versions. so who knows maybe someone can look it up

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
9C3
Resident
Resident

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

So I just got off the phone with one of my GM parts buddies. They were very busy with the labor day weekend coming up, so he could only give me a few minutes, but according to his research, the 9C1/9C3 cars do have a "special" transmission. It's still an M15, but the trans code is 5LCB, which only came on 9C1/9C3 cars. The only part he had time to look up was the input carrier with reaction, & the part number was 24208311, which only came on 9C1/9C3 cars. The torque converter was not special to my application. So while the 9C1/9C3 car uses a M15 trans, it has HD parts in it to put up with the abuse that cop cars have to deal with. If he had more time, I'm sure he could have found many more HD parts in the 5LCB transmission. M15's are not all the same. GARY

Five-00

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Interesting...I wonder if this 5LCB Transmission is capable of handling a top swapped motor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: