NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 2000 LS intermittent no start ?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

2000 LS intermittent no start ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldblu

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Question 2000 LS intermittent no start ? Reply with quote

I have a 2000 LS ( bought new ) that has developed an intermittent starting problem . Started out as something that happened about 10% of the time . It has progressed to about 90% of the time recently ! When it happens , it doesn't crank over at all but everything else ( headlights , radio, hvac fan , horn , etc. ) seems to work as designed . I was able to get it to start once by boosting it from a second vehicle but only that one time . Tried that again today with no luck ! It will occasionally surprise you by starting normally but that has become very rare ! The alternator and ( new ) battery have been checked and are fine . I have removed the battery cable ends at the battery , took them apart and cleaned what little corrosion there was from them . Made no difference ! The car has approx. 150,000 miles and we've had very little problems over the years . I suspect a bad ignition switch but would like to feel confident that it will cure the problem before forking over the dough ! Finances to involve a professional mechanic aren't there at the moment so it's up to me to fix it ! Anyone have a similar experience , advice , or knowledge to share ? Any and all help will be truly appreciated ! P.S. Forgot to add that there are no " check engine " lights or anything else to indicate a problem ?
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

next time it does it tap the starter with a hammer and see if it fixes it

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
oldblu

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I tried the " BFH " repair philosophy , no such luck ! I took the starter off and had it tested and it is working properly . It has a new battery ( which I also had retested and is good ) as well as having the alternator checked ( also good ) . I believe it is the ignition switch and likely will replace it sometimes this week . I would like to be confident that a new switch will correct the problem but my life is seldom that simple ! Fingers are crossed , guess I'm gotten to that level ?
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

something i dont know why i missed before but does the starter click or anything? if no then try to put the car in neutral and try to start. if still nothing i would think it was the ignition switch. you could also put a volt meter on the "key" wire (purple) on the starter and see if it gets 12v when you turn it over. and make sure you have 12v at the big wire on the starter. if both check out (be careful), with the car in park touch the big wire and purple wire with a screwdriver this will bypass the ignition switch and should start the car if you have good power and the starter is good

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.31

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:34 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Any pattern with having this problem with the engine hot, or cold? GARY

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.26

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Does the security light flash? When this was happening to me I didn't notice the security light right away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: