NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Latest recall includes 2000-2005 Impalas
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Latest recall includes 2000-2005 Impalas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayme
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject:  Latest recall includes 2000-2005 Impalas Reply with quote

http://www.detroitnews.com/art...../306300093
More ignition switch issues, the solution is an insert to change the slot in the key to a hole so it won't rotate as easily.
The recall finder on GM's site doesn't list this yet, and the NTSB doesn't either.

Start them out right...
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i always thought it was stupid to have every key you own on one ring. now i own 5 vehicles and each one has its own keys (doors and ignition) and a house key. no need to have 20 keys on one ring. i have always thought it was bad on the cylinder but not like this i thought it would cause abnormal wear on the pins and cause it to fail.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I don't keep my car key on a ring. It just sits loose in my pocket. So when I drive there's no jingling of keys, & the motor never shuts off. I often wonder if the people who have these problems are carrying a janitor's keyring. [35 keys on 1 ring] GARY

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

one of the news shows did a show on this recall. and with the slotted key and the extra weight of other keys (dont know the number but its more than 5) if they hit a bump the slot would give the keys the extra leverage on the ignition key and cause it to turn off. then they tried the "new" style with just one hole and they ended up braking they key ring by pulling on it yet the car never shut off

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
one of the news shows did a show on this recall. and with the slotted key and the extra weight of other keys (dont know the number but its more than 5) if they hit a bump the slot would give the keys the extra leverage on the ignition key and cause it to turn off. then they tried the "new" style with just one hole and they ended up braking they key ring by pulling on it yet the car never shut off

When I saw it on the news,they showed what looked to be a brand new Black SS carving the mountainside. I was wishin' I was was drivin' it,even with the friggin' recall.

Twisted Evil

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject:  Re: Latest recall includes 2000-2005 Impalas Reply with quote

Jayme wrote:
http://www.detroitnews.com/art...../306300093
More ignition switch issues, the solution is an insert to change the slot in the key to a hole so it won't rotate as easily.
The recall finder on GM's site doesn't list this yet, and the NTSB doesn't either.

The worn out key is the issue.

I had my engine shut off on my due to the key being loose inside the cylinder
luckily this only occurred when the car had just been started and not going down the road . yes the keys were bumped by my knee and only happened a few times.

A new key is tighter/stiff inside the cylinder and does not move as easy and when bumped does not shut the car off.

Worn out key turns more easily compared to a new key. I even checked it my self compared to the original key

MY youtube VIDEO below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....e=youtu.be
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Wow, wondered about this. My daily drivers are a 96 Dodge Ram & the 04 Impala. My main key ring has ignition keys for both, the key fob for the Impala & a work key (3 total & the fob). The Dodge key will actually fit in the Impala ignition & turn partway-then its a bear to get out. The Impala key wont even fit in the Dodge ignition. 160K on the Impala & 300(zillion, or thousand!) on the Dodge-both factory keys.

So is the key the issue or the lock? I assumed the Impala key was just worn but all the recalls get me thinking.

(edit) Just watched your vid & re-read 03, its the key
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

its the hole in the key, the slot allows for more leverage to turn the key. problem is this is how keys have been made since i can remember and no problems from them. so its not a bad key design its more of cheap ignition parts

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
its the hole in the key, the slot allows for more leverage to turn the key. problem is this is how keys have been made since i can remember and no problems from them. so its not a bad key design its more of cheap ignition parts
Worn out key

I can get the car to stall in the ON position with the worn out key.
and the car DOES not shut off correctly as it sputters to stop. i.e STALLING

this is what the recall is about Stalling in the ON position?

That is the problem I have with old worn key

a new key corrects the issue preferably one cut from the dealer and not a "copy of your problem"

with a NEW key this does not happen. The car shuts off correctly when it goes into the "ACC" position.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The recall is about the lock cylinder switching between on and off with weight on the key this kills the car and airbags. It has nothing to do with a worn out key
http://youtu.be/umqRhRdwLrI watch the vid and you will see the "new" key

Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
The recall is about the lock cylinder switching between on and off with weight on the key this kills the car and airbags. It has nothing to do with a worn out key
so the worn out key and car shutting off when on is another issue?
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Its all the same problem with the cylinder. A worn key wont shut a car off

IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
i always thought it was stupid to have every key you own on one ring.

Agreed. I've got one of these one my keys. One ring has the car keys and a house key... the rest go on everything else. It has the added bonus of me being able to leave all my work keys at home when I'm not at work...

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.67

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:

I haven't had my car shut off due to an ignition switch issue, but it did happen to me with a bad CPS on a few occasions. Listening to the guy in the video say you lose the ability to steer or stop the car is complete and utter bull****. You lose the mechanical assists, but you still have control of your car. The loss of the airbags is a serious issue, but to say you cant steer or stop the car is ridiculous.

Also for his demo is a guy cranking on the key quickly and assertively. The rational part of me wants to believe that the motion he uses for this 'demonstration' at 1:07 would have a strong potential to turn off most cars...

Additionally, saying the car you can't restart when it happens is also slightly misleading. I figured it was common knowledge that you had to put the car in neutral or park to start it, but I guess most people don't realize that.

I am in no way trying to make up excuses for GM, but a car cutting out while you are driving is a situation that most people should at least be able to figure out with basic knowledge of cars. I guess it falls in the same category as the 'unintended acceleration' cases that could have been prevented simply by shifting into neutral.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.6

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup, my SS cut off on me once, nothing to do with the key but a problem with the switch itself. Was doing about 60 in traffic. Car shut off, I moved tot he shoulder, applied the brakes and turned into a parking lot. Shut car off, put it in park, started it back up.

I didnt fly off a bridge, crash into a semi or even bump a curb.

It wasnt shocking, terrifying or scary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: