NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - rusted out resonator
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

rusted out resonator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject:  rusted out resonator Reply with quote

Well a couple moths ago the wife brings me the heat shield off the resonator and said this fell off. i knew what it was as soon as i saw it but figured ill keep a eye on the temp and see what it does. well this week went to pass someone and i heard this weird noise out the driver side window come to find out i blew a hole in the resonator and it was echoing off the house i passed. so after inspecting it its only a hole on the top of the resonator but its louder now and im 30 with kids lol. but the bolts for the resonator looked rusted bad also so they will prob break.

what im thinking is might as well replace most if not all of it. thinking about keeping the stock mufflers cause they seam ok. but im thinking of upgrading. state inspection prob wont happen due to being in maryland and you only have to get it inspected once. so the cat can be removed but i dont want a cel light. i can look and order parts but i figured ill ask and see what everyone suggest and find cheaper parts and what to stay away from.

Since i always wanted more power i figured now would be a good time to start and start from the exhaust forward. no mods done yet except the bumper intake and a shift kit (lowest). i wouldnt mind just 300 hp 350+tq but 400 would be something to brag about lol iit also would be nice to be able to blow the doors off some rich boy's mustang

zzp down pipe
http://shop.zzperformance.com/.....pipes.aspx

is there a cheaper one without the flange? i can weld what i need and i know if i remove the resonator it will drone but is there another way around this?
if i could i would just get headers and straight pipe to the mufflers but this is a family car i want to keep the sound relatively moderate. dont get me wrong i dont mind a deep rumble but i dont want something like my 79 with open headers or sound like a rice burner (sorry to the liberals that i offended with that racist phrase lol) should add this is for a 2004 SS

So i found this
http://www.wbodystore.com/exha.....npipe.html
$700 from the head to down pipe w/cat
or these
http://www.wbodystore.com/exha.....aders.html
$370 from head to down pipe no cat but i could add a cat for $70
dont know what stock pipe is but 2" single is only good for 144 hp 2.5 is good for 232 and 3" is good for 339. so looks like 3" back to the "Y" for the mufflers
but how come i dont have a resonator on any of my other trucks and its ok?

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The drone w/o the resonator isn't bad...just turn your radio up a little if it bothers you. Wink I had mine taken off nine years ago and switched to the GMPP exhaust four or five years ago. I have had a downpipe with the u-bend delete the entire time as well.

Last edited by Frank on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'd avoid the W-body store headers based on some chatter I've read on other forums (PM me for more info).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
blacknome
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.1

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Chevrolet Astro
1984 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

meh... take it from a guy who replaced his resonator with straight pipe 6+ years ago. The straight pipe rotted earlier this spring and it was a biatch to put a resonator back in ( because I cut off the front flange ). Yeah you can put headers and cat-back but I really don't think its worth the $$ on a 10 year old car. With the resonator deleted the drone was not a problem but now I actually prefer the quiet with the resonator back in place. Performance was the same

To me the bottom line the Imp is a DD and the less time spent modding a DD leaves me more time with my other toys.

To me the fact the bolts are rusted are a bonus. Tighten them up until they break and push them back out and replace with new. You wont hurt the flanges that way.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah as you can see i have quite a few toys lol. so right now i have the 04 imp and 94 chevy truck as dd between me and the wife. i drive the imp everyday but if she needs to go anywhere ill take the truck.

so once i get back into the game of things im taking the 94 c1500 swb putting her on a 99 k3500 with a dump body (going to cut the frame down to fit the swb maybe make the bed dump or just sell the dump body and lift) with a 400hp/tq motor. but thats not until i get me a crew cab truck with the cummins that i have in my 84 k30 right now:twisted: . so since the car was "down" i was going to upgrade what i can now and work my way to the engine and rebuild that to handle more power. i love the imp if i get a new car i think it will be the ss besides that i think what i have now is what im stuck with.

But for now i have the impala struts to replace, and exhaust to fix. then im getting back to the crew cab

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'll sell you my stock resonator cheap. It's in good shape,has about 40K on it.

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

what did you end up doing? i think im gonna try a straight pip and see how that is

patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.27

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
what did you end up doing? i think im gonna try a straight pip and see how that is

U-bend delete...straight pipe...slp mufflers(I got from hotsauce)...18" x 2.5" tips

Sounds good,no drone

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ok now im looking at performance kits. some come with headers
you got
http://intense-racing.com/Merc.....e=3800_PPP
found this interesting from intense
"NOTE: As of 7/4/2012, SLP has discontinued production of their headers and installation kits (part numbers 30070 and 30071). We are sourcing alternate headers to offer for W-body and H-body cars. In the interim, we will work with you to procure appropriate headers for this package. Please call us for more information."

there was talk about another store selling chines knock offs but it seams they are doing it also
http://www.3800performance.com.....ct_Count=5

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Crap, my resonator just bit the dust also Evil or Very Mad Went from "hmm, thats an exhaust leak" to "pontoon boat" in two weeks. I tried my luck & couldnt figure out what size the converter/resonator bolts were. It looked clean, I tried a 13MM & slip, ouch. A few more shots & probably going to be grinding now...What size are those supposed to be? Mine looked clean, but its probably a lost cause hoping they will come out!

Off topic, but the Grand Prix exhaust is the same right? If I'm replacing everything past the cat I'd like to have dual exhaust tips to look cool Cool I have a 3.4 so, well, at least it can look good!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.55

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:

Off topic, but the Grand Prix exhaust is the same right? If I'm replacing everything past the cat I'd like to have dual exhaust tips to look cool Cool I have a 3.4 so, well, at least it can look good!

More or less. You'll need to add an extra hanger to your car, but it will fit right up to yours.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.12

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Iffy! I was just reading the exhaust sticky, good stuff.
grimsin
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.4

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

your not hitting 350-400 hp just with headers/exhaust, gonna have to cam it and intercool and pulley down huge, people have a very hard time hitting those #'s with the gen III supercharger

edit oh i see now 300 hp and 350-400trq, thats more doable, but are you talking whp or chp?

oh and your stock cat-back exhaust is good to 300 whp dyno proven ages ago so your good from the cat-back

Mods:4'' HAI\L67 HVTB\HV3\ER Rockers\WP underdrive pulley\Headers\cat delete\91 octane overkill incar tune.
3.69 gears soon!!
whitelightnin04MC
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 1.57

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2009 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You still need a catalytic converter in MD. Emissions inspections are required every two years. Unless you get a PCM with the codes deleted, you'll need to run a catalytic converter.

Resident Prick, at your service.
SS - Corsa Catback, RT 3" DP, CC T304 PLOG, Wizaired, ZZP Offset Polys, GMPP Koni Kit, Hella Projectrofits, PT, ZZP HVTB, 10.4's
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

one good thing about maryland once you get inspected you dont have to get it reinspected as long as you keep the car registration up and keep your tags.

dont get me wrong i wasnt thinking about 300+ with just exhaust but in order to suck in more air/fuel you have to be able to breath it out. so its where i would start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: