NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - No brake pressure, lights on
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

No brake pressure, lights on

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject:  No brake pressure, lights on Reply with quote

Ok guys, bad start to my memorial day/vacation week: Had the car over to my brothers place last weekend, had new pads and rotors all the way around put on it, that went great, brakes were nice and strong. Didn't have time last weekend to have the calipers repainted so we tried to do that this weekend. Did the front two, calipers and brackets were taken completely off the car, took a hand grinder to them to get them down to bare metal, then primed and painted. Look great now, although only had enough time to do the front two. Anyway, put the front two back on, and initially only bled the front two. Then after that didn't work, took the back wheels off and bled those, going in the order I believe I'm supposed to be going. Right rear, left rear, right front, left front. Correct? I am getting lights on- low brake fluid message in the message center, along with the e-brake light on and traction off light. I had my gf's dad come look at it yesterday and we re-bled it like 5 times to no success. Lights are still on, and the only time it holds brake pressure is when the car is off. When the car is turned on at first brake pedal push it goes to the floor. I don't have the abs light on however. So I'm not sure if the problem is with the master cylinder of a sensor of something. I had to have it towed to my garage yesterday because I couldn't work up enough courage to drive it 45 miles from my brothers house to my mechanic like that, lol. Had visions of me wrecking another car on the expressway. No thanks. Anyway, has anyone encountered this problem before? I mean, I trust my mechanic can solve it, just wondering what I'm in for as far as $. Thanks, guys.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I'm guessing that you may not have capped the lines when you pulled the front calipers off so enough fluid dripped out of the system for the master cylinder to go dry - introducing air into the master cylinder and into the lines. You may even have air trapped in the ABS actuators as well. For starters, If the brake light is on that means the sensor in the master cylinder reservoir is dry.

I don't recall the specific procedure, but you will have to get the air out of the master cylinder before you can get the air out of the actuators and the lines. You will have to disconnect both lines from the master cylinder, fill the reservoir, connect tubing to the lines that goes back into the master cylinder and in the fluid, then pump the cylinder slowly until all the air is worked out of the master cylinder (no bubbles). This can be tricky because when the piston is released, it will suck fluid back into the cylinder - make sure to keep the tubing in the fluid so it won't suck any air back into the cylinder.

Once you are all set there, disconnect your tubing and then reconnect the lines, and then bleed...in order the RR, LF, LR, and LF calipers. Be sure not to suck air back in through the calipers, which means either closing them after the pedal is pumped each time or going slowly and keeping the tubing immersed in fluid so it won't suck air back in.

Hopefully you didn't suck air all the way into the actuators in the ABS system. The only way that I know of to get all the air out of the ABS actuators is to force brake fluid (under pressure) through the master cylinder while the actuators are cycled (with a Tech 2 - aka a high end scan tool costing over $3K that normally only dealerships have, but you may be able to do it with a high end shop grade scan tool) with each individual line opened. Motive makes a pressure bleeder that can do the pressure part but you won't be able to cycle the pistons without the scan tool. In the end you can do your best, but it may require a tow to a shop and an hour or two of labor.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Frank wrote:
I'm guessing that you may not have capped the lines when you pulled the front calipers off so enough fluid dripped out of the system for the master cylinder to go dry - introducing air into the master cylinder and into the lines. You may even have air trapped in the ABS actuators as well. For starters, If the brake light is on that means the sensor in the master cylinder reservoir is dry.

I don't recall the specific procedure, but you will have to get the air out of the master cylinder before you can get the air out of the actuators and the lines. You will have to disconnect both lines from the master cylinder, fill the reservoir, connect tubing to the lines that goes back into the master cylinder and in the fluid, then pump the cylinder slowly until all the air is worked out of the master cylinder (no bubbles). This can be tricky because when the piston is released, it will suck fluid back into the cylinder - make sure to keep the tubing in the fluid so it won't suck any air back into the cylinder.

Once you are all set there, disconnect your tubing and then reconnect the lines, and then bleed...in order the RR, LF, LR, and LF calipers. Be sure not to suck air back in through the calipers, which means either closing them after the pedal is pumped each time or going slowly and keeping the tubing immersed in fluid so it won't suck air back in.

Hopefully you didn't suck air all the way into the actuators in the ABS system. The only way that I know of to get all the air out of the ABS actuators is to force brake fluid (under pressure) through the master cylinder while the actuators are cycled (with a Tech 2 - aka a high end scan tool costing over $3K that normally only dealerships have, but you may be able to do it with a high end shop grade scan tool) with each individual line opened. Motive makes a pressure bleeder that can do the pressure part but you won't be able to cycle the pistons without the scan tool. In the end you can do your best, but it may require a tow to a shop and an hour or two of labor.

So in other words, it can be a kind of a pain in the ass. Laughing

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Frank
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.79

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup. Wink I didn't want to drop the cash on a Motive pressure bleeder and built one for my wife's car using a weed sprayer to make sure there was no air in the ABS...even that was a pain in the ass and still leaked. Wink

Ill_Born_ss
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.07

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

You did put the calipers back on their proper sides....bleeders at the top! If not swap them over so you can actually get all the air out.
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ill_Born_ss wrote:
You did put the calipers back on their proper sides....bleeders at the top! If not swap them over so you can actually get all the air out.

ding ding ding!!!!!...i'm a dumbass, yes that's what it was! a little late though, but yup.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

Posts per day: 2.01

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dan073eb wrote:
Ill_Born_ss wrote:

ding ding ding!!!!!...i'm a dumbass, yes that's what it was! a little late though, but yup.

Happens to the best of us. It's good you got it worked out and don't have worry anymore. Very Happy

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: