NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - AC stopped working today..HELP
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

AC stopped working today..HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.11

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject:  AC stopped working today..HELP Reply with quote

I have an 04 SS with 87k.

Back in 09, I had the compressor replaced for about $1500. It failed because the car sat for 6 months while I was deployed.

Now today, on the start of my Memorial Day weekend, 99* here in FL, my AC worked fine for the first few miles, then with no warning, it started blowing hot. After a few minutes of driving, it blew cold again, then after that it went back to hot.

Further on my way home I noticed the compressor/clutch or belt system was making a very slight squeaking noise, which went away as soon as I turned the AC off.

I could definitely hear the compressor engage when AC was turned on.

Other than that, it still blows hot. So what is it? Compressor or compressor clutch?

Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.15

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

check your pressure.

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject:  Re: AC stopped working today..HELP Reply with quote

rc10mike wrote:

Back in 09, I had the compressor replaced for about $1500. It failed because the car sat for 6 months while I was deployed.

holy s**t you got scammed Sad

locally it's $464 to get a BRAND ACDELCO new compressor and abs cable installed

that includes labor ,new freon 134a & lube.

the compressor is $160 brand new for 00 to 03 model

$264.39 for 04/05 model

Last edited by Impala_03 on Sat May 24, 2014 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 1.94

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject:  Re: AC stopped working today..HELP Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
rc10mike wrote:

locally it's $460 to get a BRAND ACDELCO new compressor and abs cable installed

that includes new freon & lube

It only cost $400 for a brand new compressor on my Impala. $1500 and the damn thing went out already? Shocked Shocked

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject:  Re: AC stopped working today..HELP Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
rc10mike wrote:

It only cost $400 for a brand new compressor on my Impala. $1500 and the damn thing went out already? Shocked Shocked

my includes installation of ABS cable as well other wise it would be close to 400$

SS should be around 600-700$ since extra work is involved with it.(I'd assume some things need to be removed to get to the compressor )

Last edited by Impala_03 on Sat May 24, 2014 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject:  Re: AC stopped working today..HELP Reply with quote

Impala_03 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
rc10mike wrote:

my includes installation of ABS cable as well other wise it would be close to 400$

I was just referring too rc10mikes post. I've never heard of it costing that much unless it came with a new engine or trans. Laughing

04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject:  Re: AC stopped working today..HELP Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
PushrodPower wrote:
Impala_03 wrote:
rc10mike wrote:

I was just referring too rc10mikes post. I've never heard of it costing that much unless it came with a new engine or trans. Laughing

SS should be around 600-700$ since extra work is involved with it.(I'd assume some things need to be removed to get to the compressor )
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Well, found out what the issue was.

Turns out, the front plate on the compressor clutch has a splined input for the spline on the compressor shaft, both of which were stripped out. I found the head of the bolt as well as the thread part that holds the plate on right below the compressor sitting on the frame. Seems like faulty maintenance to me, there wasnt any loctite on that 1 bolt.

PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

rc10mike wrote:
Well, found out what the issue was.

Turns out, the front plate on the compressor clutch has a splined input for the spline on the compressor shaft, both of which were stripped out. I found the head of the bolt as well as the thread part that holds the plate on right below the compressor sitting on the frame. Seems like faulty maintenance to me, there wasnt any loctite on that 1 bolt.

I'm glad you found the problem. Now you know where too start. I'm sorry I gave you a bit of hard time.

04ImpalaSS wrote:

wedebrook wrote:

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I had a bunch of other stuff replaced last time too hence the cost.

I replaced the M6 bolt that holds the front clutch plate on. I wasnt expecting it to work due to the spline being completely stripped....but I have A/C again.

Who knows...maybe the new M6 bolt will hold up.

rc10mike
Dedicated
Dedicated

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Figured I would give a update here.

The new bolt I installed also broke a few days later, no surprise there, since the splines were stripped.

I called the dealer and they claimed I only paid $888 for the entire repair back in 09. I told them I have the receipt showing $1450.

Their system showed that a new compressor was never installed, hence the price difference.

They claimed their computer system went through some updates since then and the information wasnt transferred correctly.

I said its kind of funny the system lost the single most expensive part of the whole repair, and I have a $1500 repair that only lasted 30k miles.

I believe they never actually replaced the compressor the first time I took it in, but they charged me for it accordingly...

I argued that they have no real proof the compressor was changed since their system wasnt showing it.

After that, they then said the compressor has a lifetime warranty and they fixed everything for free...

Weird, fishy, strange...

Frank
Master Level
Master Level

Posts per day: 0.77

2001 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

My guess is they either found notes on the original invoice saying they changed the compressor or it was a different invoice...they could have also pulled it apart and saw that it was replaced at some point.

Strange, but at least they took care of you.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 General Impala Discussion All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: