NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 3.4 gas mileage?
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

3.4 gas mileage?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.14

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject:  3.4 gas mileage? Reply with quote

Mine kind of sucks Evil or Very Mad It was about 18mpg, combined city/highway. This year I added new plugs,wires, tires, fixed a dragging emergency brake, new fuel filter, swapped to synthetic tranny fluid-Lucas- & added a K&N filter in the fenderwell. I expected 20mpg.

No change at all. I tried two tanks of 92 octane gas (vs 87) & now it went down to 17.5ish on the premium gas. Granted its mostly been short trips, but 17MPG? Car runs great-never a hiccup really but I expect more from it.

I did not replace the stock plugs with the factory AC plugs. Could that be the problem? I forget what i put in there, would have to look Embarassed I'm going to put the stock airbox/filter in it to see what happens, but that cant be it can it? Usually adding a K&N filter grabs at least 1mpg, even if not perfect.

The car feels slow..I can get past that for mileage but slow & a gas sucker? No way. 150K, good shape, dino oil..My crusty old 310K mile Dodge Ram 5.2 gets 12mpg & is a lot more fun doing it. I need more or the Imp has to go! I like the Impala, so help!

Last edited by QuickNick on Tue May 20, 2014 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Are you using 100% gas, or gas with 10% alcohol? Many people claim these cars should use AC Delco plugs. GARY

QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Thanks Gary Wink
I think we are 10% ethanol/methanol in Michigan. Not sure on that, just a guess.
The plugs, pretty sure I should swap back to the factory ones. If I remember right, the factory ones were quite more expensive than most replacements. I did try NGK's but pulled them out right away since they caused a miss & replaced them with whatever I have in there now. Need to get off my duff & see what they are!
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.08

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

AC Delco spark plugs, and plug wires are what work best for these cars. With a FWI I get around 21 mpg mix last summer.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.78

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Consider yourself lucky. I was getting around 17 MPG in town with my stock wheels and about 15 with the KV5s. Sadly, I think these cars tend to drop MPG as they age. Was never able to improve mine and I was doing all sorts of stuff (plugs/wire, fuel system cleaning, new fluids, etc).

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
Pitch Black SS
NAIOA Owner / Founder
NAIOA Administrator
NAIOA Administrator

Posts per day: 2.66

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1982 Chevrolet Malibu
2007 Chrysler 300C
1986 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

yeah, they arent fuel efficient for sure, my HEMI gets nearly the same MPG as my SS did

Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:18 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Ouch!
Your not helping me out here, ya know that right Laughing I did have a Grand Prix with a 3.1 that started out with great mileage & went down this road, but she was a animal up to 35mph, then you got depressed. The "off the line grunt" made it worthy though. Sure that was just gearing but...Aaaarrrrggg...wish I had a 3.8!

Going to bite the bullet & go for the AC plugs. Does anyone happen to know the part number? IIRR, they were AC Delco p/n 41-101 (ACDelco Professional Iridium Spark Plug, ~$8 a pop)? I also have a spool of MSD 8.8 plug wire, that wont hurt a thing I guess.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:24 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

got the 3.8 i know not the same motor but i get 27-30 mpg per tank driving it hard too. have noticed if i keep her below 60 going down the highway i see 35-40 mpgs. dont have the patience to drive like that long but going 65-70 i usually see 28-30

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.34

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The 41-101 plugs were what I recently installed in my 05 3800 Impala. Took out 41-101 plugs from my car at 160,000 miles, & the plugs looked like they'd have been good for a few more years. No improvement in gas mileage, but at least I know the plugs & wires are new. Oh, the factory AC Delco wires crumbled when I pulled them off the plugs from 9 years of heat from the exhaust manifolds. GARY

98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
got the 3.8 i know not the same motor but i get 27-30 mpg per tank driving it hard too. have noticed if i keep her below 60 going down the highway i see 35-40 mpgs. dont have the patience to drive like that long but going 65-70 i usually see 28-30

+1 I get that same mileage even at 165k, my mileage went down after my CAT failed. I was getting 30+ before that happened.

QuickNic have you done your LIM on the 3.4? Mom has a 3.4L that had a bad LIM and she picked up 4 mpg after I changed it out. It only had 204K on it. Gaskets were leaking bad and had a stumble at idle. If you are getting 18 mpg you have something else going on with the car. My sister has a 00 impala that I put a set of autolite 606's in and it gets like 32+ mpg and it has 170k on it. How many miles are on the car?
impala2k
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.2

2000 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I realize this is kind of a creedence clear water thing, but as another la1 Owner, with 10% ethanol, 87 octane, I get about 20 mpg. Mixed driving, mainly hilly country roads. Driving fairly conservative. Have Milzy tune, intake, 65mm wot tech throttle body, 2.5 downpipe and exhaust. Running AC delco double platinum. And AC delco wires. Rebuilt transmission. Replaced manifold gaskets, and sitting just under 120k miles. I think I could see maybe 25 mpg if I was on the highway. I'm actually testing to see if driving harder actually effects mileage that much. I mean it should but....

Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.08

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Just recently did a check on gas mileage and my 3.4 still gets around 22 mpg mixed. I'm real curious too see what it'll get straight highway. Hopefully around 33 mpg as advertised.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

i was getting gas at southern states and it averaged only 19 mpgs switch to royal farms and it went up to 25

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I popped in the Delco plugs & nothing changed. That was about the time I waived the white flag on gas mileage! Short of putting a mast & sail on the roof, I surrender.
The exhaust resonator & A/C went out in the same week, so its been covered up & tossed into the corner of the garage for the last month. I'm refusing to touch it till it talks nice to me again...I'd be smart to just fix it & sell it off, but it really does make a good reliable 2nd vehicle. Plus, MENSA isnt breaking down my door Laughing
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.38

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:  Re: 3.4 gas mileage? Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:
Mine kind of sucks Evil or Very Mad It was about 18mpg, combined city/highway. This year I added new plugs,wires, tires, fixed a dragging emergency brake, new fuel filter, swapped to synthetic tranny fluid-Lucas- & added a K&N filter in the fenderwell. I expected 20mpg.

No change at all. I tried two tanks of 92 octane gas (vs 87) & now it went down to 17.5ish on the premium gas. Granted its mostly been short trips, but 17MPG? Car runs great-never a hiccup really but I expect more from it.

I did not replace the stock plugs with the factory AC plugs. Could that be the problem? I forget what i put in there, would have to look Embarassed I'm going to put the stock airbox/filter in it to see what happens, but that cant be it can it? Usually adding a K&N filter grabs at least 1mpg, even if not perfect.

The car feels slow..I can get past that for mileage but slow & a gas sucker? No way. 150K, good shape, dino oil..My crusty old 310K mile Dodge Ram 5.2 gets 12mpg & is a lot more fun doing it. I need more or the Imp has to go! I like the Impala, so help!
my gas mileage is all over the place

stop and go is about 16 to 21mpg city

100% freeway 31 to 35 over extended trip. fully loaded with 5 people and a trunk full of crap.

my overall average is 25 mpg combined real (calculated average )

48.5 miles on 1.9 gallons of pumped fuel = 25mpg

Best I done with combined 70% freeway 30% city was 33.3MPG well I ran one red light but the intersection was confusing .

right as you turned there was another stop light I did not even notice it tell I almost had gotten hit by another car. it's not like I'm looking up at the sky for the lights and most people don't expect a traffic light 10 feet after I making a right turn. I was super lucky not to have hit him or him hit me. I would have sued the city since they are reasonable for negligence since they could have posted a sign that a light was coming up right after the turn. and had a angle light for the one 100 ft away.

normally traffic lights are 200 to 300ft apart (or more depending on the area)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Engine, Exhaust and Transmission All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: