NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - 3500 top swap, SES light system too lean (42lb injectors)
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

3500 top swap, SES light system too lean (42lb injectors)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolraptor

Posts per day: 0.01

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject:  3500 top swap, SES light system too lean (42lb injectors) Reply with quote

Hello!
Recently completed a 3500 top swap (kept 3400 upper intake), lucas 42lb injectors (camaro left-overs), new lifters with ls springs installed, 1 range colder plugs, EGR Delete, Rear 02 delete from pcm, U-bend delete, 2.5inch catback, HD trans conversion, shiftkit, tune, etc etc and bunch of stuff that doesnt matter.

Anyhow, took the car for a few mile ride, ran great. Then the SES light came on, so I babied it back to the garage and a scan revealed a 'system too lean' code. On the live data feed my 02 sensor is fluctuating between 0.035 and 0.020 Shocked Ltfc was ~25.x if I remember right.

The code only pops up once it goes into closed loop operation.
Have sprayed every gasket I can think of, checked all connections, replaced o2 sensor with new one, and no luck yet.
Emailed the tuner to see if he had any ideas, but havent heard back yet since this all happend late friday night.
Pulled the plugs, all look great, of course it only has about 10-miles run time so far.
AFR Gauge is in the mail, should be here anytime. I havent ran the car since, and untill the AFR kit shows, I dont plan to.

Wondered if anyone else has had this issue when top swapping and/or using the 42lb injectors?
Tried searching, btw.

Thanks for any/all replies!!

P.s.-if this is in the wrong forum feel free to delete or move it.

2000 Maroon Impala 3.4 3500 top swap, 42ln injectors, egr delete, Milzy catless downpipe, 2.5inch exhaust,LS1 Lifter spring upgrade, Overkill tune (setup for rear mount turbo not yet finished), HD trans upgrade, shift kit, ls1 camaro front brakes, gr2 struts, stainless braided brake lines, strut tower braces, Don Rome brackets.
1995 Camaro~388 Stroker, turbo, 6speed, Drag car.
nightryder
Master Level
Master Level
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 0.8

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2005 Subaru Impreza

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

did you change the IFR in the PCM for the 42# injectors?

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, what do you mean by ifr? Tuning parts of builds is like magic to me, I can't quite figure it out so I let the pros do it haha.
That said, I didnt do the tuning. The guy/company who did is pretty well known in the w body community tuning all kinds of stuff so I would imagine he would have?

Thanks for the reply!

2000 Maroon Impala 3.4 3500 top swap, 42ln injectors, egr delete, Milzy catless downpipe, 2.5inch exhaust,LS1 Lifter spring upgrade, Overkill tune (setup for rear mount turbo not yet finished), HD trans upgrade, shift kit, ls1 camaro front brakes, gr2 struts, stainless braided brake lines, strut tower braces, Don Rome brackets.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.57

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

IFR = injector fuel rate (or something similar). Basically if it wasn't changed the car doesn't know what the hell is going on. Also, why did you feel the need to run colder plugs?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
coolraptor

2000 Chevrolet Impala
1995 Chevrolet Camaro

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I wondered if it meant something like that.
I imagine the PCM would be setup for those injectors, if it was setup for the stock ones it would run horribly rich at all times wouldnt it?

Hooked my scanner to it today and at idle only its 0.035 to 0.045 on the o2 sensor, if i bring the RPM's up to even 2k it goes to 0.100 all the way to 0.800 and fluctuates like it should. So, lean at idle only perhaps? Still cant find any vacum leaks either Sad

At 2k RPM the stft also goes to 2.0 then slowly climbs back to 25.x at idle.

The colder plugs are for a turbo thats going on it ASAP once this lean issue is fixed.

Thanks for the reply!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 PCM/Engine Computer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: