NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Iphone 5 AT&T and Verizon Question
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Iphone 5 AT&T and Verizon Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

Posts per day: 0.5

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series
2009 Mercedes-Benz C Class

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject:  Iphone 5 AT&T and Verizon Question Reply with quote

I should know the answer to this since I work in I.T. but I do not, so here it goes. If i am taking a Verizon Iphone 5 and putting it on AT&T,

1. Does the Verizon Iphone 5 have a slot of the SIM Card that AT&T uses on the side of the phone?

2. Has anyone had experience unlocking a Iphone 5 from Verizon and putting it on AT&T? If so, did it work just like an Iphone that was meant for AT&T does?

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pretty sure this isn't possible. They are two different phones. AT&T and Verizon use totally different bands for their service.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
Hometownhero

Posts per day: 0.03

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

1) yes wit will have a SIM card slot, nano sim
2) Verizon iPhone 5's come factory unlocked

Here's video

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2.....-unlocked/
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:59 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hometownhero wrote:
1) yes wit will have a SIM card slot, nano sim
2) Verizon iPhone 5's come factory unlocked

Here's video

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2.....-unlocked/

Right on, I see that they are trying that out on a Iphone 5s. Do you know if Iphone 5 is unlocked also?

Vehicles:
2003 Chevy Impala- Current, 2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe- Sold, 2007 Yamaha R6s- Sold, 2007 BMW 335i- Current, 2008 Yamaha R1- Current
Hometownhero

Posts per day: 0.03

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Pretty dated link but read this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....09972.html
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hometownhero wrote:
Pretty dated link but read this

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/.....09972.html

Right on. That is what I was looking for. I guess I will put a AT&T Sim Card into a Verizon Iphone 5 and see what happens. Thanks man

Vehicles:
ShortyDoo
Member Level
Member Level
Bronze Contributor (Amount: 1) Bronze Contributor

Posts per day: 0.57

2004 Chevrolet Impala
2006 Nissan Maxima

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I have my VZW iPhone 5 on T-mobile and it works great. I don't have LTE service because the phone doesn't support the LTE frequency but I do get HSPA+(4g) and thats plenty fast for what I use a phone for (streaming movies and internet browsing). I would think you will have a similar experience moving over to AT&T. All I did was pop in the T-Mobile sim card and updated the carrier settings when prompted and I was off and running.

LittleRock wrote:

It's just like pulling out. It's very tricky and isnt an exact science, but sometimes you just know.

helldorado wrote:
I can always tell when Wedebrook is around. Smells like sex and shame in here.
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ShortyDoo wrote:
I have my VZW iPhone 5 on T-mobile and it works great. I don't have LTE service because the phone doesn't support the LTE frequency but I do get HSPA+(4g) and thats plenty fast for what I use a phone for (streaming movies and internet browsing). I would think you will have a similar experience moving over to AT&T. All I did was pop in the T-Mobile sim card and updated the carrier settings when prompted and I was off and running.

So basically I should have everything the same except that I might not be able to get LTE because it runs on a different frequency?

Vehicles:
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

Posts per day: 0.07

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Hi.
Yes, you can use the iPhone 5S or 5C on either Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobiles networks.

Below is the process. Although I have never used it, I have heard my other fellow IT Admins did and were successful.

The phones must be unlocked. Depending on where you got the phone originally can help.
If from an Apple store, all models are locked no matter the carrier
If from Verizon, all phones are unlocked which I'm hoping is your case.
If from AT&T, all phones are locked but you can call (800) 331-0500 or by going to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/? to unlock the phone.
If from T-Mobile, all phones are locked, T-Mobile will unlock them after 40 days from Date of Purchase.

You will need a new nano size sim card provided by the carrier and also a SIM card programmed for the Apple iPhone (other types of SIMs carry a different class identifier) . Of which the carrier should be able to provide.
Verizon & AT&T will require the IMEI and the ICCID of the SIM card to be entered into their systems for the phone to work properly.

Lastly, you may have to reset the network settings. http://unlockit.co.nz should be able to assist.

Hope this helps.
amoffitt
Member Level
Member Level

2003 Chevrolet Impala
2003 Infiniti G35
2007 BMW 3 Series

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Chip1035 wrote:
Hi.
Yes, you can use the iPhone 5S or 5C on either Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobiles networks.

Below is the process. Although I have never used it, I have heard my other fellow IT Admins did and were successful.

The phones must be unlocked. Depending on where you got the phone originally can help.
If from an Apple store, all models are locked no matter the carrier
If from Verizon, all phones are unlocked which I'm hoping is your case.
If from AT&T, all phones are locked but you can call (800) 331-0500 or by going to https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/? to unlock the phone.
If from T-Mobile, all phones are locked, T-Mobile will unlock them after 40 days from Date of Purchase.

You will need a new nano size sim card provided by the carrier and also a SIM card programmed for the Apple iPhone (other types of SIMs carry a different class identifier) . Of which the carrier should be able to provide.
Verizon & AT&T will require the IMEI and the ICCID of the SIM card to be entered into their systems for the phone to work properly.

Lastly, you may have to reset the network settings. http://unlockit.co.nz should be able to assist.

Hope this helps.

I see now. So If I were to take a AT&T Sim Card from another Iphone 5 and then plug it into a Verizon Iphone 5 would I still have to contact AT&T and give them the details that are needed to make everything work?

Vehicles:
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.08

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

a good place to research for stuff like this is howardforums.com. i use them a lot for finding out stuff about networks and unlocked phones.
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

dan073eb wrote:
a good place to research for stuff like this is howardforums.com. i use them a lot for finding out stuff about networks and unlocked phones.

So long as the iPhone is unlocked and the SIM card and brand new nano sim card is connected to a working valid account, then yes it should work. Also keep in mind AT&T needs to know the IMEI and ICCD.

Also, you may have to reset the network settings on the phone AFTER you have the phone active on AT&T. I'm not too sure if that step is required but might be.

Try this link: Switching iPhone Carriers That pretty much sums up my last post.
overlordspock
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.14

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1998 Chevrolet Silverado
2008 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Malibu
2009 Pontiac G8
2014 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Huh. Guess you learn something every day. I would have SWORN that there were different models of iPhone between AT&T and Verizon. Maybe I'm just thinking back to the 4/4S days.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT - Sport Red Metallic, Kooks LTs w/ Cats, Corsa Catback, RotoFab CAI, HomeLink
2014 Impala 2LT - Black, No Mods
2008 Silverado LTZ Z71 - Black, Extended Cab, Spray-on Bedliner
2008 Impala SS - Precision Red, Magnaflow, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Overkill Tune, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets SOLD
2005 Impala LS - Summit White, Front/Rear STBs w/ Don Rome Brackets, BBE Monte SS Cluster SOLD
Chip1035
Dedicated
Dedicated

2007 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yes, the iPhone 4 and 4S cannot switch. The 4 was released to only AT&T then months later released to Verizon. The 4S kept the same design for the individual carriers. Both having different chips to accept the wireless spectrum for whom they were released for. Also Verizon's model did not accept SIM cards.

It wasn't until the 5 and 5S Apple decided to have one phone for multiple carriers with the Nano SIM, SIM and the programming to work on who's network. For Apple, this saved on manufacturing and parts for different models.

Think of it like how GM (as well as others) has the same model car underneath the shell but different looks and feel (Buick Encore and the Chevy Equinox or even the Impala and Monte Carlo).
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

just to throw it out there. i have republic wireless. now they use sprints towers and wifi. you have to buy one of their phones outright $150-$300 but with 3g service and unlimited everything (data on cell, i think is 6gigs) but thats only $25 month. they have the moto x and moto g phones right now

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Almost Anything Goes All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: