NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - brakes brakes and the fluid level
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

brakes brakes and the fluid level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Impala_03
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject:  brakes brakes and the fluid level Reply with quote

I noticed the level of the fluid is lower then the "MAX" line is this something to be worried about?

I have not seen any fluid on the ground.(I know what it looks like)

I going to have the front breaks replaced very soon. since I got the cash for it now and ordered them. (17D699CH)

so should I fill it up? or wait to tell I get the brakes replaced and have them inspected first?
9C3
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.32

2005 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

As the brake pads get worn, they move closer to each other. This causes the fluid level to drop. Unless the level is very low, don't add any fluid, because when new pads are installed, they will be thicker than the worn ones, & the fluid level will rise when the pads are installed pressing the pistons outwards. GARY

ZSPOT
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Gold Contributor (Amount: 1) Gold Contributor

Posts per day: 1.3

2001 Chevrolet Impala
2004 Ford Mustang
1981 Chevrolet Silverado
2007 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Yup,... what he said.

But in all actuality, since your car is 11 years old, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bleed the entire system to get some fresh fluid in there.

Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.36

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

9C3 wrote:
As the brake pads get worn, they move closer to each other. This causes the fluid level to drop. Unless the level is very low, don't add any fluid, because when new pads are installed, they will be thicker than the worn ones, & the fluid level will rise when the pads are installed pressing the pistons outwards. GARY

thanks . I did notice lately the rear brakes have been activating more often which is why I getting the fronts pads replaced and rotors machined .

since under normal use the rears don't activate. unless I press the brake peddle harder.

I assume this is something that is "normal".

I going to get it drained and replaced with fresh fluid.

ZSPOT wrote:
Yup,... what he said.

But in all actuality, since your car is 11 years old, it wouldn't be a bad idea to bleed the entire system to get some fresh fluid in there.

really good idea I don't think it has been changed ever..
patyson
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.29

2003 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

ZSPOT wrote:
Yup,... what he said.

Haven't seen a low level here.but,the fluids lookin' a lil' dirty and I picked up some fluid today,so I'm gonna flush/bleed it next weekend. Since mine is 11 years old,as well. Rolling Eyes

2003 Impala LS Sport / OverKill Tune / GM Handling Kit w/Don Rome Brackets / Timken Hubs / Custom Intake / HO 190A Alternator / Metal Coolant Elbows / U-Bend Delete / Polished Stainless SLP Superflo's / 18" Stainless Magnaflow Tips / LED SS Cluster / SS Spoiler / Molded Splash Guards / SLP Grille / Stock Tail Covers / 400W Pioneer Amp / 10" Kicker Comp Sub / Alpine 6x9's / Clarion HU w/Blue Backlit Impala script HU Mount / 18" 2010 Charger R/T Rims / Halo w/LED strip Headlights
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> 2000-2005 Wheels, Tires, Brakes, and Suspension All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: