NAIOA.comNAIOA.comNAIOA.com
 Create an Account

NAIOA Impala Forums :: View topic - Shake/shimmy at 60-65. Ready to drive car off cliff.
GarageGarage    1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table    Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch    UsergroupsUsergroups   MedalsMedals
MemberlistMemberlist   ProfileProfile    Watched TopicsWatched Topics    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Shake/shimmy at 60-65. Ready to drive car off cliff.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.09

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject:  Shake/shimmy at 60-65. Ready to drive car off cliff. Reply with quote

So here's my deal: I've had my summer wheels with new Kumhos put on a few weeks ago. When I had them put on I immediately noticed way too much shaking when I got up to 60-65 mph. Took it right back to the tire place and had them re-balance all the wheels. Took the car back out, and it was somewhat better but still not quite all the way gone as far as the shaking at 60-65. I thought maybe it was something that would play out after I drive the car enough. Drove the car for a week and still not any better. Took the car to a different tire place, had a four wheel alignment and had them re-balance the front wheels because that's where it seemed I was getting the most shaking, in the steering wheel. Took the car out when they were all done, and it was the same. Brought it back and told them that it wasn't any better and they suggested hub spacers for my wheels that I had bought from them and they never installed when I bought the wheels from them. Couple days later had the hub spacers installed, and took the car out. No difference. Still shaking at 60-65. Called tire rack (where I bought the Kumhos from) and explained my situation and they shipped me out two more Kumhos to replace the front two that I thought could be defective. Took them to the tire place with my fingers crossed. Had them mounted and balanced. Took the car out. No difference. Still shaking at 60-65. Ready to give up. What else could cause a rough ride besides wheels/tires? Help me please!
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.75

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Is it only happening at 60-65 MPH or are you noticing it at lower speeds?

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

I do notice it somewhat at lower speeds, and I do have some pulsation when braking that I figure is my brakes needing to be replaced soon, but I notice it the most at 60-65. Just not the nice smooth ride I used to have.
IffyG
NAIOA Moderator
NAIOA Moderator
Silver Contributor (Amount: 1) Silver Contributor

Posts per day: 3.75

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2009 Chevrolet Malibu

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The only other thing I can think of is a torque converter problem. When mine locked up it would case the care to shake violently. If you aren't actually feeling the car wander around when it happens, it might be worth considering.

Dan wrote:
Protip: If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

d
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Check your control arm bushings. They may look good, but one under load they may not be.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.07

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Also check your CV joints as well. Those can cause symptoms as those speeds.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

Posts per day: 0.16

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

when i got new tires put on by pepboys their idiot tire changer failed to clean the corrosion off the wheels and with in one day i heard two wheel weights fall of. took it back, they tell me the guy who did my tires quit the next day. so they balanced all my tires i think 3 out of 4 were off. but they still didnt clean the tires took it to a different place and they sealed and balanced all 4 cause they were still off

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
PushrodPower
Uberd0rk!
Uberd0rk!
Platinum Contributor (Amount: 1) Platinum Contributor

Posts per day: 2.07

2005 Chevrolet Impala
1996 Saturn S-Series

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
when i got new tires put on by pepboys their idiot tire changer failed to clean the corrosion off the wheels and with in one day i heard two wheel weights fall of. took it back, they tell me the guy who did my tires quit the next day. so they balanced all my tires i think 3 out of 4 were off. but they still didnt clean the tires took it to a different place and they sealed and balanced all 4 cause they were still off

It's amazing how incompetent some people can be. It also gives the shop a bad mark because of it.

"The skippers been drinking, oh yes he has you can tell."-Bob Ross
04ImpalaSS wrote:
How much miles are on those seats? How much pounds of ass were applied to the seat during every trip? Lol

wedebrook wrote:
This thread is about *this* far from being about me, all oiled up, eating chili mac in a walmart bathroom.

nightryder wrote:
My c**k broke.
98ss
Uber
Uber

Posts per day: 0.28

2002 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

PushrodPower wrote:
Irish_alley wrote:

It's amazing how incompetent some people can be. It also gives the shop a bad mark because of it.

Its kind of frustrating when things don't work out right the first time. Maybe the guy just wasn't trained correctly. The belle tire and discount tire shops don't and won't clean the corrosion off of the inside of the rims. The policy is to sell new rims. The health hazards that the aluminum oxide poses to employees is most likely why they don't do that. The ultimate solution is to have the rims sand blasted and powder coated. Grinding the corrosion off of the inside of the rims and using bead sealer is only a temporary solution, but it does last a considerable amount of time. Back when I worked at the service station I never had one come back. With that being said, the roads in this state pretty much eat suspension and tires, so that may be why.
QuickNick
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Posts per day: 0.13

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

The hub spacers kind of get me. Are they "universal" or not?
I used "spacers" before that were nice aluminum & supposed to be balanced but were far from it....caused all kinds of chaos. Hate to say a 3rd opinion is needed, but.....
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

QuickNick wrote:
The hub spacers kind of get me. Are they "universal" or not?
I used "spacers" before that were nice aluminum & supposed to be balanced but were far from it....caused all kinds of chaos. Hate to say a 3rd opinion is needed, but.....
the hub spacers are universal and plastic. the wheels are aftermarket, so that's why they suggested them, i guess. doesn't matter, they didn't help, but they didn't hurt either.
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject:   Reply with quote

something to think about with physics in theory in order to vibrate it has to kinetic energy. front end parts not so much. if this just happened with change of tires what else changed? where they new rims? is a rim bent? did you rotate the new tires?

Sorry if i'm an a**hole, but i tend to speak whats on my mind and the truth as i see it.. May not be right but it seamed right.
dan073eb
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

2004 Chevrolet Impala

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

Irish_alley wrote:
something to think about with physics in theory in order to vibrate it has to kinetic energy. front end parts not so much. if this just happened with change of tires what else changed? where they new rims? is a rim bent? did you rotate the new tires?
that's what I've been going over in my mind since I put them on. Didn't have this problem last spring/summer with these wheels on. I had 3 different kinds of tires on the wheels as well. They ran fine. The rims were bought brand new last spring. The first place I went to to have the new tires put on is very good about pointing out bent wheels, so I know it's not that. Don't mean to sound ignorant, but how would I rotate brand new tires?
Irish_alley
Resident
Resident

2004 Chevrolet Impala
1986 GMC Sierra
1994 Chevrolet Silverado
1984 GMC Sierra
1979 Chevrolet Silverado
1991 Chevrolet Silverado

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:54 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote

are they directional? but since they are brand new you could just swap the fronts to the the rears

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NAIOA Impala Forums Forum Index -> Problems with my car! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: